PDA

View Full Version : First time Bass fishin 5/31

Wkendwarior
06-01-2010, 07:05 AM
I have always wanted to go bass fishing but without a boat it makes it hard. Just got an old 73 tri hull so figured I better get my learn on. Poking around on FNN and the name Don Spencer came up everywhere as a cool guy that will take you out and show you a great day of bass fishing. Hooked up with Don yesterday morning around 5:45 at the lake entrance.

After launching the boat we head off into the fog, yes fog. Very very heavy fog you could not see 10ft in front of you. I felt like I should be standing on the bow firing flaming arrows into the distance looking for land. Once around to Santiago flats the fog had yet to burn off and the concert on the back side there was still going strong. Techno music and bass fishing or any kind of fishing does not go together.

Don set me up with a rod (even though I brought my own) he wanted to reline it and get me fishing. The first few cast he made for me letting me watch him (never really used a bait caster with much luck) and then I would work it back to the boat. About the 3rd cast out I hooked up and it felt great. After that I got a few more in the same area all within the first 30 mins on the lake. Don was a little nervous about the day as the lake was hit hard with the tournament and the full moon and boy did it show it. We were marking the bait fish and the bass all around but nothing would bite like he and I hoped. After seeing that I was not casting very hard (light tackle and line trout fishing will soften you up) Don tells me to get angry at it. Ok that I can do. I ratchet back and fire, beautiful cast. But Don come running at me and gets on his knees right in front of me looking into the water. What the heck Don? Dude wheres your glasses, as I look into the water I can see my $5 walmart specials falling to the bottom. Don hooked himself with his own lure and he jammed his rod in the water to try and save them. Great if the sun comes out I'm dead, I wont be able to see.

Went closer to shore to try some top water and only bird nested a few times and very small ones at that. You know the ones were you just have to pull out half the line and rewind it? ya small ones. Working the popper and having fun but not catching anything. Don giving me tips all day and I needed them or asked for them, he told me to pause a little while between pops. OK....pop, 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000 POW a biggy jump out and attacked it. But while scaring the ***** out of me I pull hard and ripped it right out of his mouth. Bite died moving on.

Into some deep water to try and find the wipers. Marking them all over but only came up with 1 wiper and 1 crappie. We slowly inched our way back to the spot we started the day. The music had stopped and the sun was now shining. Took about 2.5hrs for that to happen but well worth the wait out in the misty cold fog, but no glasses. Now facing back towards the shore working lure I get hooked up a few more times. Each time I bring in the fish Don and I waved off the photo opportunity for the Lunker we planned to catch. Looking at shore we see this couple sleeping, hung over probably. Ok cool nothing to stop fishing for right? On my next cast Don figures out shes naked and needs to let me know. Now that was distracting and I let go of my thumb to early and the Lure go up and comes back down only a few feet from the boat. And to top it off that rod had such a big birds nest that you could hardly see the reel. Don was on the deck he was laughing so hard. For the rest of the day is was a great laugh to be had.

Made our way around the lake and caught a few more. Came back the shore with the naked lady (gone already since the staff came and collected her) for a nice bite. Every other cast was fish on. It was funny in the beginning Don said if he hooks up he will hand me the rod so I can reel it in. Well back at this spot we were getting bit pretty good and Don hooked up and came running to me to switch rods. As he almost hands it off my rod does the dance, and without skipping a beat I set the hook and yell to Don (he is inches from me) "No thanks I got my own". Ha it was great fun.

All in all the bite was off (that was also the talk on the lake) the day was beautiful and I had fun and learned a lot. Total was 18 Bass, 1 Wiper, 1 Crappie and about 100 yds of fishing line snagged and pulled back to the boat.

If you want to have a great day and learn a lot I would encourage you to give Don a call what a great guy (909) 374-3962 and tell him Troy sent you.

TaperSteve
06-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Good report but no pics of the naked girl, uhh hum cough, I mean the fish? :Bug Eyes:
There were actually alot of good bands that played at that event (Lightning in a Bottle). :Dancing Banana:
From what I hear it was a great event. I was at the Vine Sat for the tourney and it was cool to drive along the shore and wave high to some of my friends that were at the festival. Wish I could have been there.

TaperSteve

FISHINGBEE
06-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Bass are everywhere. You can always catch a few bass. great jog sorry about the walmart spcl.God was trying to send you a message.

FISHINGBEE

MAVERICK27
06-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Nice job Troy!!! I'm glad it payed off for you! Now hopefully i'll see you out there killin it on your new (to you) ride! Mad props to Donny once again!!

Wkendwarior
06-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Ya Mav thanks for hooking me up with Donny, he and I had a great time. Can't wait till the bite is really on, the reaction bite was not even present.

Wkendwarior
06-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Oh as for the boat goes, it might be a month or so till she hits the water. Tearing out the interior and modifing it to have casting decks front and back. My cheap version of a bass boat. Hey as long as it floats right?

MAVERICK27
06-01-2010, 12:34 PM
at Irvine, anything that gets you to the spots :) I just bought another boat, but I dont pick it up for about 2 weeks. Wait until the reaction bite warms back up! 10 times the fun!!! Oh and great job getting your first strike on topwater. Landed or not, it sure gets the blood pumpin !!

bman90278
06-02-2010, 06:20 AM
Great report and congrats on your bass catches. Later this summer I'm going to have to go on a guided bass trip at Lake Irvine.

-brian