PDA

View Full Version : Southern utah ?

SierraPeaks
05-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Anybody out there know what's happening with Panguitch or Navajo ?

Natural Lefty
05-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Hello Sierra Peaks! I probably fished Navajo lake more recently than just about anyone else on this site, which was about June 20, two years ago. I ended up wishing I had gone there sooner. I caught my first Splake Trout just fishing from shore near a campground there, and lost a bigger one. That was around sundown, and I stopped fishing after catching the one Splake Trout, because I already had my limit including the 3 trout I had kept from earlier in the day, but I think I could have caught more fish if I had continued fishing. It was a very good bite, and I am definitely considering going back. I was using nightcrawler pieces under a bobber, but I saw a father and son catch a couple on spinners, and since fish were surfacing, they would probably hit flies fished on the surface. I hope this helps. The lake also has Brook Trout and Rainbows, but Splake Trout seem the most common there.

Oh yeah, I fished Panguitch a long time ago when I was a kid on a family vacation, and I remember we caught a bunch of small Rainbows on flies in the evening there. It is definitely another good fishing lake in that region. I would recommend Fish Lake also, although the large trout seemed farther offshore there. My wife and I did catch a bunch of Yellow Perch and small Rainbows from shore at Fish Lake, though. I hope this helps.

SierraPeaks
05-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks Lefty. I was at Navajo last September and caught over 70 fish in 2 days trolling very shallow (1 and a half colors) because the lake is very low due to a breach in the levee and the weeds were very tall. I was wondering if anyone had been there this year yet. But I just learned that the only way to access Navajo right now is by snow mobile, but Panguitch is snow / ice free so I think I'll head there in a week or so.

JAMACAWAS
06-15-2010, 02:38 PM
As of two days ago, Navajo Lake is ice free and the water level is high. The levee is under water and shoreline parking is limited due to the high water. This photo was taken Sunday, 6/13/2010, with my phone, which explains the poor quality.

SierraPeaks
06-16-2010, 03:57 AM
As of two days ago, Navajo Lake is ice free and the water level is high. The levee is under water and shoreline parking is limited due to the high water. This photo was taken Sunday, 6/13/2010, with my phone, which explains the poor quality.

Great info.
Thanks JAMA. I've got a cabin reserved at Panguitch...but will definitely hit Navajo for at least a day now too.