PDA

View Full Version : Lake Perris 5/28 Evening Bluegills on Flies Nonstop Action

Natural Lefty
05-29-2010, 03:13 PM
This was the first time I was able to get out fishing since the trip to the lower Colorado River with my wife, and I almost didn't get to fish yesterday as it was. My wife asked me to take her to her daughter's house to have some people fix the sprinker system there. As it turns out, we didn't leave here until 4 p.m., and by the time I got to Lake Perris after waiting around in atrocious Memorial Weekend traffic, it was 7:30 p.m.

That must be the latest I have ever gotten there to fish, but no problem. There were tons of police and rangers watching as I drove by, so make sure you stick to the 25mph speed limit there. I went to the west side of the launch ramp area where I had the fastest bobber/fly fishing for Bluegills last year, and found to my surprise only a few cars in the parking lot. I can remember trying to go to Perris on Memorial Weekend in the past, and being turned back at the gate because the entire park was full, but perhaps yesterday a lof of people had left by the time I got there.

I saw a group of people fishing right at the abandoned launch ramp (which has no boat docks at this time), but I headed for the west corner of the cove where the action was even faster last year. The weather was surprisingly cool and breezier than I expected, but that area was somewhat protected from the north wind that was blowing, and I could see fish surfacing as I approached. I quickly caught 1 small Bluegill on my Adams, but then lost it due to a poorly tied knot. Thus, I decided to use the rod with the 2 pound line, and a little tan fly of unknown pattern that looked close enough to the midges that were flitting about.

The new setup worked great, though the fish were pretty small. I tried to keep track of how many I caught, but I am not too sure. According to my official count, I caught 27 Bluegills in 1 hour, 15 minutes. That calculates to more than a fish every 3 minutes. Of course, I spent much of the time reeling in fish, unhooking them, and moving from spot to spot in the area out of curiosity, although moving wasn't really necessary. I hooked a fish, or at least had a couple of strikes, on nearly every cast. It was happy time for a fly fishing, Bluegill loving person like me. My wife told me to keep only fish that were over 7 inches, and as it turned out, I caught 1 larger adult female Bluegill (fish number 11 by my count) that measured at 8 1/4 inches, but the rest were juvenile Bluegills that I let go. About 10 of the fish swallowed the fly deeply enough that I needed the pliers in order to remove the hook, but I think I managed to do so without injuring any of these fish, and released them safely. I tried using a steady retrieve briefly, but it didn't seem to work like the stop and go retrieve that I usually use. I normally turn the handly one revolution, stop for a second or two, then turn another revolution. The fish usually bite during the pause, but sometimes swallow the hook.

I saw the people on the launch ramp catch a few small Bluegills that looked like they came from the same batch of fish as the ones I was catching. Eventually, all but one woman left. A few minutes later, I saw her catch a larger fish, so I started talking to her. As it turns out, the fish was a nice size Redear, and she caught it on a waxworm under a bobber. She said her husband was up at the car, and asked me to unhook the fish. Then she asked me if I wanted it. Who am I to turn down such a tasty offering? I gladly obliged. To my surprise, they had been releasing all of their fish, but she told me they had just been catching little Bluegills. As if to prove the point, she then caught a small Bluegill which I also unhooked for her. Then, her husband returned, and told me they had caught about 20 fish in all, mostly big Bluegills and Redears anywhere from 9-12 inches. Isn't that interesting how different the descriptions of the husband and wife were regarding the fishing? Based on what I saw, and my past experience in that cove, I strongly suspect that the wife's description is more accurate, although they might have caught a few other good size ones. Maybe the husband didn't want to be outdone by my wide open fly fishing action.

After that, I fished near them on the launch ramp, and the fishing was just as fast there. It was surprising how well the fish kept hitting the fly even when it was almost dark. At one point, the husband lost his bobber, so I gave him a new one. They kept getting bites also, fishing by feel, but were having trouble hooking them. Finally, the fishing seemed to slow a bit, and it being 8:45 already, I decided to go, but the couple was still trying. Maybe they were camping at the campground, so no urgent need to go, but I needed to get back.

All in all, it was a super little evening "catching" trip, with something like 27 fish caught, all on flies, although I only kept the one larger one, plus the Redear the young woman gave me (which measured 9 1/4 inches). No pictures this time-- anyway, not many larger fish and I wouldn't want people to mistakenly think that I caught the Redear. That one Bluegill was a nice one for being on a fly and 2 pound line, though. By the way, I brought the leftover nightcrawlers from the Colorado River trip, but never even broke them out of the cooler, the bobber/fly setup action was so fast. The Bluegill and Redear populations are definitely doing very well at Perris. I only saw one Bass though, and it was a dead one (about 12-13 inches) on the shoreline.

fisherman from long beach
05-29-2010, 03:33 PM
nice report also,i catch shiaat if i dont post pics,so here you go,we need pics.anything,the cops,hills,the empty parking lot,or of the lady giving you the redear.lol.glad you got to fish.

Natural Lefty
05-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Fisherman from long beach. I just posted this. You're a fast reader!
Yeah, I should have had pictures of all 27 fish, plus the lady giving me the Redear, the cops, those shrubs with the yellow flowers, the empty parking lot, etc. LOL Maybe people won't believe I caught that many that fast, but it's true. At least I didn't brag or exagerrate their size. They were mostly a bunch of 5 inchers, but fun to catch and release.

Panfish Slayer
05-29-2010, 03:57 PM
congrats on the panfish catching....good eating and fighting.

teejay
05-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Good report. Sounds like fun. I'm not familar with Lake Perris but after comparing the map on their web site with your description, I think I have a handle on the location of the cove. Although my casting skills are marginal, I would like to try my fly rod out there some evening. It's funny that you started out with an Adams. For some reason, its always the first fly that I try when I'm prospecting.

Natural Lefty
05-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks panfish slayer. I made skin on fillets from the 2 keepers, and my wife ate most of it for lunch, but I got one fillet (Redear I think) and it was really good. Surprisingly, she just boiled them in Tofu soup.

Teejay, that is funny about the Adams. I must have caught at least 50 fish at Perris on that fly. I just kept using the same one, since it worked so well. But when I got there, somehow the line got caught in my reel, so I broke it and retied the knot, a clinch knot I think it's called, which can slip if not tied properly, and that is what happened, so farewell to my favorite Lake Perris fly, although the fish aren't really picky there when they are biting. I once caught a Bluegill at Perris on an Adams that must have weighed over a pound. I think it was with 2 pound line, too, and I think that was the first summer after they lowered the water level. I was using a spinning reel, bobber and fly setup on Friday, but a fly rod should work there also. I have had more luck with the flyrod in the marina from the docks, actually. But the place where I was fishing Friday was the cove just to the east of the marina, which is less heavily fished and a good fishing area. I wish you good luck if you try flyfishing the Perris shoreline. If it's windy, it can be difficult to cast there, which is one reason I usually use a spinning reel with a bobber and fly setup there instead of a fly rod.

By the way, another funny thing about the man I met at the luanch ramp was that he was saying that the big fish were deeper, and they were chasing all the little fish, which is why there was so much splashing going on. :Confused:No, I told him, I was catching those splashing fish, and they were feeding on midges and possibly other types of flies.

smokinflies
05-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Great job catching those sunfish "on the fly".

I was there last weekend and seen this guy slamming sunfish left and right "on the fly" at lots 11/12.

I kicked myself in the head for not bringing my fly rod to Perris that weekend.:mad:

Oh well, there's always my next trip out. :Rolls Eyes:

strippin' fool
05-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Based on your report my buddy and I went there this evening 5/30 and fished the same area. We started out fishing about halfway down the jetty. We were using a dry fly on top with a nymph dropper. My dry fly on top was a stimulator with a pheasant tail nymph about three feet below that. My buddy was using a Royal Wulff with a pheasant tail dropper also.
We didn't catch as many fish that you did but the bite was pretty consistent. We kept working our way further and further down the jetty and found the action really picked up once we were on the east side of the point of the jetty.

I hooked into something that was stripping drag from my 2wt fly rod like nobody's business. It was putting a huge bend in my fly rod. Just about when we were about to see color the line went limp. I stripped my line in only to discover the curly cue of a failed knot. Dang it, that was a nice fish too, whatever it was.

We continued catching handsized gills up until 8:00. We even caught some tiny, gills. We are talking 2" long.

Good times though. Wind was a bit tricky to cast out a distance but we found that stripping the flies parallel to the shore worked quite nicely.

Natural Lefty
05-31-2010, 09:51 PM
smokinflies, lots 11 and 12 is another place where they hit flies. I caught my biggest fly-caught Bluegill there. I think they are pretty much all around the lake's shorelines once they get going. I think I might try lots 11 and 12 next, though.

strippin' fool, I caught a few 2 inchers on Friday myself, but most were 5-6 inchers that fought surprisingly hard. Too bad you lost that big one. I lost my favorite fly on Friday, too, but it was due to a bad knot, not a big fish. Anyway, I am glad you had good fishing. I don't think you were fishing the same spot I was. It sounds like you were more on one of the jettys, while I was at the west end of the launch ramp cove. I did go part way out on the jetty for awhile, and they action was about the same there. This is the jetty separating the launch ramp cove from the marina cove. I am guessing that is where you were. In any case, they are biting all over Perris Lake now, I think.

I wouldn't be surprised if that bigger fish was "bigmouth billy" (as my wife calls Largemouth Bass after our singing plastic bass), or it might have been a really large Bluegill, Redear or even Crappie or Trout.

carpanglerdude
06-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the report. I have been doing pretty well fishing flies at Perris for the 'gills. A lot of missed strikes, but super fun once you get the hang of it.

Natural Lefty
06-02-2010, 08:32 PM
I am glad to see all these reports of people catching Bluegills/Sunfish on flies. I guess using flies to catch panfish is really catching on. Personally, I have been working at developing my modest skills at catching these species on flies since I was a kid.