PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make their own swimbait?

elevated
05-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Just got the larry dahlberg soft bait making kit as a gift and started to make a few swimbait-looking soft baits. Just curious if anyone out there makes their own swimbaits or other lures? How they got into it? Also if they work?

The whole process took me about 4 hours from making the mold then pouring the plastic after the mold cured. It was pretty cool, the finished product looks pretty ugly but it swims fine when I tested them out. I haven't tried fishing with them yet. It would be pretty cool if they caught fish too. I'll post up some pics of the baits I made later today. Don't be too harsh as these are the very first ones off of the production line. :Big Grin:

exfactor
05-29-2010, 02:47 PM
let's see some pics bro. I've made a few with bondo molds, but the microwave now adds plastic flavor to anything that I put in to eat, so it's a plastic only microwave now.

elevated
05-29-2010, 04:53 PM
yea ex, the kit didn't come with a single warning about the plastics etc. I dunno how safe this stuff is, it smokes too when the plastic comes out of the micro. anyway heres a few pics, if I get around to it I'll upload a video of them swimming in the pool haha.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2FoBt6CrLdDZ5As-4Yu23w?feat=directlink
http://www.picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PEjLViUNwvKoCV5CMD5aeg?feat=directlink
ugly as ever but they swim fine, maybe they might catch fish hehe

anyway does anyone have problems with google's picasa not working with the add photo button? I just tried to embed the photos using it and they didn't work. Can everyone see my link if they click on the URLs?

Zach1093
05-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Thats pretty cool man, with a little more practice you will make them look purdy in no time :Envious:

Report back if you get any takers on um!

exfactor
05-30-2010, 09:34 AM
You need to watch the nuker closely when your melting the plastics, so they don't get burned. About 30 seconds for me.