PDA

View Full Version : Throwing $ away on a tuna/yt trip

Liteweight
05-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Just finished reading the excellent tutorial written by Dockboy, and figure it's time for me to throw in my :My Two Cents: and contribute a little.
Okay, so the title is a little misleading. But if I got your attention and you read/follow this then I've hopefully helped you on your next Tuna/Yellowtail trip. In a way there is some truth in the thread title on the point I would like to make.
:Soap Box: REPLACE YOUR OLD LINE:!!!::!!!::!!!: It's as simple as that.
Many people I've talked to on the boats over the years just don't replace their lines often enough. When I've outfished them or won Jackpot many will ask me how I did it. Aside from some experience/luck and following one of the most "sacred" of phrases "NO ANGLES, NO TANGLES" I will ask them how many times they "broke off " fish. Usually they will tell me once or twice (if not more) at which time I will ask them when they changed their line last. Any you'd be suprised (or maybe not) on some of the answers I've gotten back! Remember if you've caught fish on your line even once you've stretched the molecules in the nylon (if you're using regular mono) thereby weakening the structure of the line (at least that's what the folks @ Berkley have told me). What some anglers fail to recognize or understand is that when you're fishing if your line crosses another line (especially with a fish on) or if you get in a tangle with other anglers you're creating friction. Sometimes it can be just enough to cause damage to your line. When I get caught up in a major tangle (usually in the middle of a hot bite) I will cut myself out or ask the deckhand to cut me out if he has my line in hand. NOTE: this will also save you precious fishing time, as some bites only last a short time which allows you to get back in the action fast.. In addition everytime I catch a fish I (and you'll see many others)) snap off their lines and retie. Although Yelllowtail don't have teeth they can fray the line on their "mouths" and again It's not worth loosing a fish just because I was too lazy to retie (Can't begin to tell you how many fish I've lost over the years to frayed lines:Twisted::Angry:)
FINALLY ...SOMETHING (FOOD FOR THOUGHT) TO CONTEMPLATE, Your spending on average $175 per day on these trips why sacrifice your fishing sucess on old line. You can buy 1/4# spools of Ande Premium or Berkley Big Game at Wal-Mart or Sport Chalet as well as most of your local tackle stores (AND just in case you forgot and left them at home:LOL::LOL:) @ the dock, for about $10 per spool. One of these spools in the smaller # tests will be able to fill the average reel 2*3 times depending on the reel capacity. And IF you can afford them the larger 1/2 1# spools can be a bargain if you do alot of fishing. In the past I would usually buy 1/4# spools for everything under 25#test and 1# spools of everything else up to 80# all of which I would store in a cool dry place out of the sun. And these would last me years in many instances.
Since flourocarbon became popular I now buy 1000yd spools of Seaguar Invizx, (ebay seller Poor Fish posts frequently enough for most line sizes) from 8-25# for my "TOP SHOT".
Anyway I digress, if you just carry 3 outfits (ie. 3 reel) as mentioned in Dockboys thread it shouldn't cost but $35+tx for the line and still have line for other trips (provided you store them properly).
People will sometimes ask: how often should I replace my line? "RULE OF THUMB" no matter how the line looks/feels you should replace your line every 2-3 trips (Trust me I do).
So, if you'd like to increase your chances of landing more fish remember "CHANGE YOUR LINES"
Final notes; please let me know if you believe this helps you on you on your next trip. I genuinely would like to know uf this is helping my fellow angelers out there.
P.S. This is not limited to just the saltwater anglers, I can't tell you how many LC cranks I've broken off :Twisted::Angry::Explode: due to my own laziness!