PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Lake

Pinekap
05-27-2010, 08:33 AM
I will be heading up to Millerton this weekend, But the fishing reports are very poor for there. So i am thinking about heading up to Huntington for the day on saturday.

It i has been 20 years since i have been up there. Can anyone tell me whether i am allowed to use a Fishing Kayak on the lake? And i guess second and more important is the lake accessable right now?

Thanks in advance.

Pinekap.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
05-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Pinecap,
The last report I saw for Huntington said the lake is accessable. The road to Northshore was to be plowed last week.
I'm sure kayaks are allowed on the lake since I float tube there also. You should be able to easily launch your yak at Rancheria Marina or at any other marina where the parking lot isn't so far away from the water.
This time of year I'd either troll the whole south side of the lake, especially across the dams....or cruise the dam areas and toss lures like Rapalas. My biggest fish caught in the month of May was a 12 lb brown trolling across the first dam.
Or just cruising around where the lake widens out and there isn't such a fast water flow and it gets deeper where the larger rainbows are.
If you'll be up in that area for a few days you should check to see if Kaiser Pass is open. If it is, take it about half way to Edison where there is a small lake named Portal Forebay right alongside the road. You'll be surprised what kind of trout there are there (one of my many secrets of fishing that area for over 40 yrs). PM me if you want a few of them.
I'll be doing my annual trip to Wishon Res. next month.
Have a great trip !
TTFM

TrouTHeAd
05-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey Pinekap
Millerton has been good by the dam on the Madera county side for stripers. Head up to pineflat lake. The trout action there has been really good for me for the last few weekends. The average trout I catch are about 15-16 inches at pineflat. Shaver is also another great lake to fish. The kokanee and trout are biting really well. Look @ fresnobee.com in the fishing section for more info. Good Luck!!!

Simplyeman
05-29-2010, 02:23 PM
I remember fishing for kokanee at Huntington a couple years back. It was a blast. The water lever was super low though.

Pinekap
05-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks for your replies, I was able to read them on my phone so they were very helpful.

I made it up to Huntington lake, There were still 6' banks of snow. The water level in the lake was very low. I did not launch my kayaks do to the temperatures, I did howerver fish from the shoreline. Caught two Rainbows. TTFM i will send you a PM the next trip i got up for some more tips.

Thanks again

Pinkap

HBAR
06-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Few years ago we slammed them in the mouth right by the docks, 4 adults and 2 kids everyone slammin trout on rooster tails, last July guy got a 19.5 German brown while trolling, it was in the WON, said it took him and his buddy like 2 1/2 hours to bring it in since he was using I think 6 or 8lb test. Got a pic of it but still haven't figured out how to get them on here