PDA

View Full Version : Manual tilt of an merc 65hp outbaord.

Wkendwarior
05-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Hey guys I may be the fool here but I have a question. I just got an old tri hull with a 65hp merc outboard. In the up position I can lift it a little more to release the lock to let it down. but when I go to left it back up to the full tilt position to take it out of the water I cannot. There is a lock on there that needs to be release to do so and I have that done. I can get out of the boat and go to the back and lift it by the lower unit and even that is tough. Is it suppose to be that tough or maybe the hydraulics need replacing. No it does not have power tilt or trim. I dont want to spend $500+ on a power tilt unit so if this is as good as it gets, I will make a cheater bar. Thanks in advance.

fisherman from long beach
05-27-2010, 10:18 AM
i had my tilt removed,but to tilt motor manuely is pretty easy.do you have the manuel for the motor,it explains it how to adjust and to lift and lower you unit.on my motor it has a lever i flip b4 i touch the motor,either lock or unlock.check it out.

Wkendwarior
05-27-2010, 10:43 AM
I know my motor has a lever and it is released when i put it in neutral or fwd. I can stand behind the boat and lift the motor but that is still hard. It almost feels like I am lifting the whole boat and then it starts to swing up. could the hydraulic pistons be jamming or can i remove them? I do not have the manual for the motor.