PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for 2.5 day trip

midgettosser1
05-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Hey Guys,
I have a 2.5er comin up in August (first time doing anything more than a full day). And I wanted to see what you all would recommend.

Here's what I have:

Reels
1) Torium 16
2) Daiwa Sealine-X 40 HV
3) Daiwa Saltist 40

Rods
1) 8' Seeker American A270H-8 CT (20-30lb)
2) 7' Ugly Stik Tiger Rod BWC 2201 (20-50lb)
3) room for one more, thinkin either 8' Shimano Teramar or 8' Penn Pro Guide (GDH 800XL Deckhand) for a ~12-25lb rod

I figured Id have a 20, 30, and 40lb setup. And was thinkin something like this:

1) 20lb = Torium + rod 3 (whichever it may be) for the 20lb rod,
2) 30lb = Sealine-X + Seeker
3) 40lb = Saltist + Ugly Stik

The torium has spectra on it, so I can change the leader and switch it up however.
I'm sure I'll pack my Penn 500 as a backup as well... maybe with 30lb.

So what does everyone think of these setups? And suggestions for that 3rd rod?
Also, if you have recommendations for irons, that would be great as well.

Thanks!!

Which Way Out
05-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Been on a few 3 day trips in the past and the best thing I can recommend is not to forget Clean Sox's and Underware a towel, tooth brush. All this will help you sleep better and be refreshed for the next days battle. Not to mention overall smell down below :) As far as fishing goes you should have it covered, but lets see what others say. Good luck
ps Fresh fishing line is a must and good knots...

bigfish420
05-27-2010, 09:03 AM
No 2 speed reel? Get one for sure!

samgann93
05-27-2010, 10:20 AM
You dont need 2speeds. they are just a luxury.

Make sure you have 20lb and 30lb... bring some floro leaders just incase. and pick up some packs of owner flyliner hooks.

good luck

midgettosser1
05-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Been on a few 3 day trips in the past and the best thing I can recommend is not to forget Clean Sox's and Underware a towel, tooth brush. All this will help you sleep better and be refreshed for the next days battle. Not to mention overall smell down below :) As far as fishing goes you should have it covered, but lets see what others say. Good luck
ps Fresh fishing line is a must and good knots...

Haha, thanks. I tend to generally overpack those sorts of things anyways, so I should be good.

No 2 speed reel? Get one for sure!

I'd love to, but my mortgage won't allow it.

You dont need 2speeds. they are just a luxury.

Make sure you have 20lb and 30lb... bring some floro leaders just incase. and pick up some packs of owner flyliner hooks.

good luck

Thanks. I've got the 30lb fluoro and the flyliner hooks from a trip that never happened.

Fishbones
05-27-2010, 10:54 AM
you need a trolling rod, I troll everywhere and you never know when the exotics might show up...
And maybe a smaller bass combo 12-15lb besides that your covered.
I always use new hooks and new weights, the hooks because they are super sharp unlike some older ones sitting in your gear.
and the new weights because old lead absorbs smell and moisture and usually smells bad thus repelling the fish.
As for iron i fish four basic colors, green&yellow,blue&white,chrome,black&red.

goodluck and take lots of pictures for the report.

ItchyBass
05-27-2010, 03:15 PM
It's not really necessary to have your own trolling rod because most boats have a couple loaners.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
05-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Yes, it's not necessary to bring a trolling rod/reel. All the boats that go for tuna have at least 4 trolling rigs anyone can use. I take mine because of the trolling lure selection they have is minimal, where you can take every color imaginable be it a Zukers, Jet Head, or whatever. Certain tuna species like some colors better than others and it's sometimes hard to convince the deckhands to switch to a different color lure, if they have one.
Tuna trips more than 2 days I usually take 4 or 5 rods and reels so I'm ready for every situation. Lightest is 12 or 15 lb, then a 20, 30, 40, and my trolling setup which I have 150 lb Power Pro and use 80 lb fluorocarbon leaders. The others all have 50 lb Power Pro and I attach the lighter fluorocarbon leaders.
Another advantage is I sometimes use circle hooks. Never a "swing and a miss".
I'll be on a 3 day trip on the Searcher the second weekend of July. The boat, Art Taylor and his crew have always done me good so I'm bacckkkkk !
Have a great trip, and remember...... DO NOT TO BRING BANANAS ! :P

tmartin
05-27-2010, 06:51 PM
What you have will do just fine, I would add a bass rod like a few others have said. Last year I lost a few Bluefin tuna to owner flyline hooks, not really somthing I'll use again for 40+ lb tuna. I was using ringed hook that owner makes from sizes 1, 2, 1/0, 2/0 and 3/0, if your on a budget mustad 94150's work well from rock fish to tuna. I used on my three day 20 and 25 lb floro 90% of the time landing 40-50 lb tuna and 20 lb yellows. Good luck and have fun.

dockboy
05-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Fill your Jigmaster with 30lb and bring it as a spare. You could fill it with 25 in case they don't eat the 30, always a nice option to have.
An inshore stick is a good bet also. Something for 15-20lb. I like something similar to a Shimano CT400 or Abu Garcia Revo Toro 50/ Shimano Curado 300 with 30lb Spectra or braid and a short leader of flouro. This helps small, weaker baits swim better when they are eating pin heads. I don't really like to drop below 20 unless its peanut grade albies and yft, then 15lb is a lot of fun.
Set your drags right and follow your fish. When picking a bait, grab a "green" lively specimen. Thats the keys of tuna fishing. Learn how to fish the rail correctly, and learn how to cast and fish a good bait. Those are your best weapons.

tunafisherman
05-28-2010, 09:23 AM
A 20,25 and 30lbs. outfit you will be fine. The boats have trolling rods. Have fun and get some fish.

Hometown
05-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Fill your Jigmaster with 30lb and bring it as a spare. You could fill it with 25 in case they don't eat the 30, always a nice option to have.
An inshore stick is a good bet also. Something for 15-20lb. I like something similar to a Shimano CT400 or Abu Garcia Revo Toro 50/ Shimano Curado 300 with 30lb Spectra or braid and a short leader of flouro. This helps small, weaker baits swim better when they are eating pin heads. I don't really like to drop below 20 unless its peanut grade albies and yft, then 15lb is a lot of fun.
Set your drags right and follow your fish. When picking a bait, grab a "green" lively specimen. Thats the keys of tuna fishing. Learn how to fish the rail correctly, and learn how to cast and fish a good bait. Those are your best weapons.
id put 25 on the 500 gets bit better when the bites tough and you can pull allmost as hard as 30lb 25lb test is my favorite for albacore and also a 12 or 15 lb rig incase the bite is really tough or the bait is all pinheads

Frenchy
05-28-2010, 11:35 AM
yes pick the best lively bait to fish but if those arent working an old time tested deck hand trick ive used many of time to get bit when the albies are around but not biting is pop one eye outta your bait using your thumb and toss it out the bait will skip on the surface but if you watch the deck hands they will be doin it w the the chum they throe overboard

Hometown
05-28-2010, 11:46 AM
yes pick the best lively bait to fish but if those arent working an old time tested deck hand trick ive used many of time to get bit when the albies are around but not biting is pop one eye outta your bait using your thumb and toss it out the bait will skip on the surface but if you watch the deck hands they will be doin it w the the chum they throe overboard
thats old school i forgot that trick it works

Frenchy
05-28-2010, 12:12 PM
veryyyyyyyyy old school but it works like a charm when the fish are around and not biting

Hometown
05-29-2010, 12:50 PM
that and but hooking the anchovie has worked for me when the bites tuff
veryyyyyyyyy old school but it works like a charm when the fish are around and not biting

midgettosser1
05-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all the info guys.