PDA

View Full Version : Gd and frenchy hit nph 5 25 2010

ghetto dad
05-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Good afternoon,

The original plan for today was to fish Dana Point on their 2 for 1 Tuesday, but since the person I thought was going to go today decided not to go, I did not want to go and pay full price, so once again, planned a Newport Harbor trip, but this time, I invited Daniel (Frenchy) to go with me.

Got up in the morning, and the plan was to wait until Turner’s opened at 10 am so that I could get some new 6 lb line, the line on my spool is DONE from my recent previous trips to NPH. Well, I had the itch, and did not want to wait until 10 am, so I decided to head for NPH with the line I had, I knew I just had to be careful. So off to NPH I went, arriving at the first spot at about 830 am.

Frenchy wasn’t there yet, he too had to stop at a tackle store to purchase items, so I set up a #2 Owner Worm Hook, ¼ oz d/s sinker, and a GULP! 4 inch Nuclear Chicken Shrimp. The tide was on the high side for once this morning, so I had high hopes, at least for a while anyway. I picked my first spot, and made my first cast.

I immediately got slammed, set the hook, and missed it. Made another cast, got slammed again, set the hook, and this time the fish was on. The fish started to head towards the piling, which I couldn’t allow, so I pulled back on it to turn its head the best I could with my old line! I turned it’s head, and babied it back to the shore, after a great fight.

15 INCH SPOTTIE!!!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC11425-1.jpg

Re-rigged the same, made another cast, and nothing, so I worked my way East. I found a spot that looked good, and made my cast. BAM! Fish on! This fish peeled drag to the left, under a mooring line, I got it back under the line, and back in front of me. This fish was THUMPING, I gained some line back, and then it took off peeling drag to the right under another mooring line. I didn’t feel good about this fish, meaning I knew the line was on its last leg. Got it turned for a second, when it finally busted me off. I knew I should have gotten new line!! Lol! Oh well, it was fun!

Re-rigged again the same, and continued working my way East, missing a couple fish in the process. Frenchy finally arrived with his GF Courtney a short time later. We worked our way further East, then back West, missing a few fish, and I asked Frenchy if he wanted to try another one of my spots on the South side, and he agreed, and off we went.

Arrived at the spot, and put some work in here, with absolutely no bites. I told him lets move down there, pointing to where I wanted to fish, and off we went. In this area, it has very many weeds, so I Texas rigged a 5 inch GULP! Jerk Shad in Nuclear Chicken, weed less. Made a few casts, and got bit! I set the hook , and the fish was on. Immediately I knew this fish was also going to test my old line, so I drug the fish expertly back through the weeds, not allowing it to take any line, and by some miracle, with Frenchy’s help, I was able to land this!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC11427-1.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC11426.jpg

Photographed the beast, and released it back home. Worked my way down the beach a little, got bit hard again, set the hook, another fish on!!

This one had some fight to it, and I thought it was a decent Spottie, but once the fish got closer, I realized that it wasn’t a spotty after all. So I beached this!

14 INCH HALIBUT!!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC11430.jpg

Ok, that’s 3 fish under my belt, once nice spottie, and two short butts, but I had to put the homie Frenchy on some fish, so I told him that I had another 007 top secret spot that usually produces, so we headed North.

We worked the area pretty good, then we arrived at Frenchy’s Cove (it’s new name, lol) and worked the weeds very hard. I made a cast INTO some weeds, and on the way back, got smacked, and set the hook! Fish on! Worked it back through the weeds, and landed this!!

Made a few more casts into the weeds, go hit, set the hook, and landed this!!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC11432-1.jpg

Made another cast, got picked up on the sink, set the hook on yet another beast, and landed this!!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC11431-2.jpg

By now, Frenchy can over to the cove, made a few casts, and gets slammed!! We knew it was a larger fish, which headed towards the buoy after getting hooked. Frenchy expertly turned the fish’s head, and beach this NICE spottie!! Way to go kid, you CAN fish!! Lol

FRENCHY WITH A FAT SPOTTIE!! WAY TO GO KID!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC11434-1.jpg

I made one last cast into the weeds, and set the hook on yet another Beast from the Abyss, and landed this!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC11433.jpg

After a short time, Frenchy decided to take me to one of his top secret 007 spots on the other side, so we packed the gear and jumped in the truck. Arrived a short time later, and I REALLY liked this area, it had a LOT of weeds. Made our first casts, and started to fish.

We missed a few hits, and headed to a different area, I made a cast and Thump! Thump! FISH ON!! This one, I KNEW it was a decent halibut, and it fought VERY well. Got it to color, and Frenchy “hand gaffed” it for me! Thanks kid!!

20 INCH HALIBUT!!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC11436-1.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC11437.jpg

Soon after, we got kicked out of this area, apparently, we aren’t supposed to fish there, LOL!! So we headed back to Frenchy’s Cove to finish our day off, I had to leave soon. We missed a few fish, then Frenchy hooked another nice spottie, got it through the weeds, and landed it.

ANOTHER NICE BASS!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC11438-1.gif

Soon after, I looked at the clock, and knew I had to leave, which I REALLY didn’t want to, but I had to, lol.

GREAT fishing with you Frenchy, today was a blast. Nice job putting the wood to those nicer spotties man. Today was Frenchy’s day for quality, and it was my day for quanity. All in all, a great day on the water with a new fishing partner.

Thanks for reading, until next time………..

GD

Frenchy
05-25-2010, 06:28 PM
thanks for the invite steve but hey why does that 14 incher have a hole in its tail lol i still dont know how you managed that. nailed a 6 incher right after you left the same spot that i got hit on after we got back to frenchys cove down the bank a lil. great day of bsing and fish do it again soon steve MB MISSION BRING PARICK FROTTO TRAPP W US...... lol ahahahahhahaha once again man nice fishing w ya

on another note i personally had to release a 9 inch spottie off somebodys unattended striger that is why the pics are swirled out NO POACHERS IN FRENCHYS COVE

murrieta angler
05-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Great job with the ragged line GD!
That last hali was very nice and thick, but that first monster scared the bajeezus outta me...lol
Thanks for the report and the pics,
Robert

Swank909
05-25-2010, 06:39 PM
I've been killllling on that Nuclear Chicken shrimp, its been working well lately. I need to set up a salt tank for tiny harbor fish, would be a fun project haha

ghetto dad
05-25-2010, 10:25 PM
thanks guys..for the record....if any ACTIVE members want to know info.....spots....etc....i have no problem sharing....

thanks guys!!

GD

pineapple express
05-25-2010, 11:15 PM
sounds like a fun day GD... you guys did awesome.
with the weather getting warmer, so is the ><> ing.
mahaloz for sharing.

lalo56
05-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Nice job out there.Thanks for sharing. I wouldnt mind some spots to try out for my first time.

Eddie

MACKERAL KING
05-26-2010, 09:15 AM
not trying to intrude on your spot but can you at least give me a spot to go out there? I want to head out there tomorrow evening. everyone's story on NPH sounds really good, and i want a piece of the action. i still have not landed a big one... Just want to see if this could be my big break. please respond. Thank You

ghetto dad
05-26-2010, 11:02 AM
not trying to intrude on your spot but can you at least give me a spot to go out there? I want to head out there tomorrow evening. everyone's story on NPH sounds really good, and i want a piece of the action. i still have not landed a big one... Just want to see if this could be my big break. please respond. Thank You

i see you fished the Native Sun....lol....good capt and crew on that boat

will you catch and release in NPH?? and post a report after and contribute?? whether you catch or not???

GD

BrandonFish
05-26-2010, 12:05 PM

....loooookintotheforums..........

i see you fished the Native Sun....lol....good capt and crew on that boat

will you catch and release in NPH?? and post a report after and contribute?? whether you catch or not???

GD
some1 eats mackeral some 1 eats bass anyyyways.

"MACKERAL KING"

"Lol, my mother-in-law is chinese and she expects me tobring at least 10 everytime i go "mackeral"
bass? =)

Thanks for the report you guys did good a lead head and a gulp shrimp have been working good for me. (2 inch shrimp) = ) and the regulars stuff. another thing that has also been working good is a grub 5 inch curly tail.

ghetto dad
05-26-2010, 12:07 PM
....loooookintotheforums..........

some1 eats mackeral some 1 eats bass anyyyways.

"MACKERAL KING"

"Lol, my mother-in-law is chinese and she expects me tobring at least 10 everytime i go "mackeral"
bass? =)

Thanks for the report you guys did good a lead head and a gulp shrimp have been working good for me. (2 inch shrimp) = ) and the regulars stuff. another thing that has also been working good is a grub 5 inch curly tail.

lol...nice brother.....thanks!! yeah...5 inch red c/t robos work great out there too..weedless..in the weeds....i just ran out and cant find anymore!! grrrr...time to hit BPS!!!

GD

GD

MACKERAL KING
05-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Sure, a good fisherman keeps his word. The only problem is, i'm going in the evening. Do you know if its good then?

Fishbones
05-26-2010, 02:20 PM
sweet harbor slayage boys....

Sparky70
05-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Why U hiding the background? :EyePop:

Frenchy
05-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Why U hiding the background? :EyePop:

we made the desision to bulrr out the backgoround due to the decrease in size and number decrease of fish caught in the harbore even from just the past year we will be more than happy to share spots w contruibting members of the board aslong as the promise catch and release and pst a report after thier trip along w blurred backgrounds so the poachers and lurkers cant fish out our fishery i personally released a 9 inch spottie off an un attended stringer the guys were down the way and saw what i did and just gave that o darn you caught us smile but if you would like spots please feel free to pm either ghetto dad or myself

flyngby
05-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Steve & Frenchy,

Nice mixed bag on your trip to the Harbor.

You made me dizzy looking at your pics though with the blurring! To each his own.

we made the decision to bulrr out the backgoround due to the decrease in size and number decrease of fish caught in the harbore even from just the past year we will be more than happy to share spots w contruibting members of the board aslong as the promise catch and release and pst a report after thier trip along w blurred backgrounds so the poachers and lurkers cant fish out our fishery i personally released a 9 inch spottie off an un attended stringer the guys were down the way and saw what i did and just gave that o darn you caught us smile but if you would like spots please feel free to pm either ghetto dad or myself

Sad to see that you had to mess with the poacher!

I will have to disagree with the statement you made about the decrease in size and abundance of Spotties in the harbor if that is what you are referring to and the Flattie bite seems to be the norm with lots of shorts and an occasional legal.

I have seen a definite increase in the smaller Spotties as well as larger models. It is my feeling and personnel observation that the Spotties are doing well recently even with the exposure and pressure being put on them recently.

Lots of shorts means the bigger models are doing their job of regeneration. And based on the fact that even the shorts my friends and I have been catching are full bellied lends me to believe that they are also eating well! The increase in the larger models is either due to us learning better techniques to target them, blind luck or the fact that there are more of them, Just my personnel observation!

Personally I am never worried when GD (Steve) is invading my playground as he has the habit of catching all the smaller guys! :Razz: :ROFL:

Thanks for the post and good luck in your future adventures in the harbor!

Steve

ghetto dad
05-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Steve & Frenchy,

Nice mixed bag on your trip to the Harbor.

You made me dizzy looking at your pics though with the blurring! To each his own.

Sad to see that you had to mess with the poacher!

I will have to disagree with the statement you made about the decrease in size and abundance of Spotties in the harbor if that is what you are referring to and the Flattie bite seems to be the norm with lots of shorts and an occasional legal.

I have seen a definite increase in the smaller Spotties as well as larger models. It is my feeling and personnel observation that the Spotties are doing well recently even with the exposure and pressure being put on them recently.

Lots of shorts means the bigger models are doing their job of regeneration. And based on the fact that even the shorts my friends and I have been catching are full bellied lends me to believe that they are also eating well! The increase in the larger models is either due to us learning better techniques to target them, blind luck or the fact that there are more of them, Just my personnel observation!

Personally I am never worried when GD (Steve) is invading my playground as he has the habit of catching all the smaller guys! :Razz: :ROFL:

Thanks for the post and good luck in your future adventures in the harbor!

Steve

ok ill wait till I only catch bigger fish to post a report..thought i was contributing....and for the record i DID catch quite a few larger spotties last year, when time allowed me to go..the areas that i fish are NOT producing as well as they were last year..on smaller models or larger models......id problably catch more if i would ask people for help, but I do not like doing that, I like to put my own time in and try different techniques......

have a nice night

GD

Frenchy
05-26-2010, 10:35 PM
are you angry i messed w the pocher or are you givin me props?????/

troutdog
05-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Looks like you had a great day out there, the harbor looks alive and well to me....

TD

fisherman from long beach
05-27-2010, 07:32 AM
i have to agree with flynby,i ve notice the spottie action great,and the bigger models are startin to show more,and more.but also the variety in the harbor is great to.caught my first juvenile wsb,and pb flattie.wtg on the harbor report,for just having fun and workin on technique nph is the place.

keepemlo
05-27-2010, 04:32 PM
you guys sure know your stuff i got all geared up at fred halls show and have yet gotten out to the surf been tryn hard on panfish freshwater with limited success only have sat im close to mdr so il begin my journey there tryn to sift threw spots any way lots o luck keepemlo

flyngby
05-27-2010, 08:32 PM
GD & Frenchy,

Sent you 2 a PM!

Sincerly sorry if I offended you guys in any way!

Keep up the great posts!

Steve

HESBROS
05-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Nice day out there guys!

I want to throw in my 2 cents on this conversation.
I like Steve think the population is just fine. I fish NPH very often, on foot and boat. In the area I fish I hardly see any other anglers that are not FNN's or people I have given advice to on where to fish. I have not seen either of you so I guess "your cove" must be well hidden or you are fishing in popular spots that the folks that keep fish like.

I think I have seen the fish get bigger and healthier in the last two years compared to 3 years ago.

As for realeasing other peoples catches. IMO it is a bad idea. It is not the kind of message I would want our younger readers to get. I dont think saving one or ten fish is worth my life or getting injured. The DFG wardens carry firearms for a reason, because they enforce laws! It would be a shame to hear of an FNN'r getting killed while realeasing someone's illegal catches. I have yet to read anywhere on DFG's website where they suggest that the public take the law into their own hand and enforce the laws. Just my two cents, if you are comfortable doing it, and you dont value your life, then have at it.

lalo56
05-28-2010, 07:42 AM
GD & Frenchy,

Sent you 2 a PM!

Sincerly sorry if I offended you guys in any way!

Keep up the great posts!

Steve

You have to be very careful with what you say to Steve because he is really sensitive. Specially now, since he is trying to quit smoking.

Steve, looking foward to your next report.

Eddie C.

Fishbones
05-28-2010, 10:42 AM
As for realeasing other peoples catches. IMO it is a bad idea. It is not the kind of message I would want our younger readers to get. I dont think saving one or ten fish is worth my life or getting injured. The DFG wardens carry firearms for a reason, because they enforce laws! It would be a shame to hear of an FNN'r getting killed while realeasing someone's illegal catches. I have yet to read anywhere on DFG's website where they suggest that the public take the law into their own hand and enforce the laws. Just my two cents, if you are comfortable doing it, and you dont value your life, then have at it.

Long story short, I met and use to fish with a guy back in the day that was shot in the stomach with a 9mm at el dorado park for doing the same thing with a spawning female LMB, and I verfied this story thru the park rangers.