PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek Fish & Weather Report

rotto84
05-23-2010, 09:08 PM
All fish caught and released.

Camped and fished the Rock Creek (Iris Meadow Campground) area Friday and Saturday (May 21 & 22) and caught 14 rainbows in about two hours. They were nice, good size for stream trout. The last one was the best, it was close to 3 pounds. From my campsite I saw a a young couple and their little boy catch a fish. They were so happy, it was like they won the lottery. It was fun to see.

Tried McGree Creek and I was in the barbless lure section where I lost a small fish right away. I was going to work the creek when I saw two adults and two children with their power dough and treble hooks. I asked if they knew this stream was only barbless artificials and they said thanks, and kept fishing. Great role models, I thought. Very much different than the other family I had seen earlier in the day. I just left.

I was packed up Saturday night so I could leave early Sunday to go fishing on my way back to San Diego. When I woke up at 3:00 AM to go to the bathroom, the tent was under half a foot of snow. It was coming down hard. I knew I would not be able to get back to sleep, thinking about the weather. I quickly packed up and headed slowly down the mountain.

It was fun, and even though it was cut short, every minute was beautiful.

I may add pictures of the fish and the snowstorm, after I download them from my camera to my computer. I just wanted to send out this report when it was still fresh in my mind.

chappy23us
05-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Cool report bro. Did you happen to make it up to the lake? I was just wondering if there was any open water

SierraPeaks
05-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Cool report bro. Did you happen to make it up to the lake? I was just wondering if there was any open water

Rock Creek Lake is still completely frozen.

chappy23us
05-23-2010, 10:02 PM

Is it safe to ice fish? I have never tried but it sure looks like a blast.

IncredibleHuck
05-23-2010, 10:15 PM

I heard there was some open water on it now.

SierraPeaks
05-24-2010, 05:31 AM
Is it safe to ice fish? I have never tried but it sure looks like a blast.

Definitely not.
However, the Mammoth Lakes are still safe to ice fish. As of last weekend (May 16) Lake Mary and Lake George still had 5 feet of ice and Mamie had about 3 feet.

UplandBasser
05-24-2010, 07:17 AM
Good report, just wanted to let you know McGee creek will probably go to crap for a while, LADWP is doing some work there. Your job is not tell people what they can and cannot use. If the Warden aint there, oh well, just keep on fishing. We all pay taxes for these fish, and rightfully so they should be kept and ate. By the way, I use barbless jigs, and catch and release 100% of my fish, I use to try and regulate, but what for, why do the job our tax money pays for?

lgdpt
05-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Good report, just wanted to let you know McGee creek will probably go to crap for a while, LADWP is doing some work there. Your job is not tell people what they can and cannot use. If the Warden aint there, oh well, just keep on fishing. We all pay taxes for these fish, and rightfully so they should be kept and ate. By the way, I use barbless jigs, and catch and release 100% of my fish, I use to try and regulate, but what for, why do the job our tax money pays for?

He didnt "tell them" anything....he said he "asked if they knew" If I was doing something wrong I would HOPE someone clued me in before a ranger did.

retired96
05-24-2010, 12:13 PM
In all my years of fishing the Sierras, If I saw someone fishing in violation of the rules and regs I would start a casual conversation, inquire how long they have fished the are, and nicely advise them them were fishing in violation of the regulations. Almost 100% of the time it was a person that had never fished the area before and was unaware of the restrictions for that body of water. You can't depend on our Game Wardens to enforce the regulations as there are very few of them to enforce the law. You can count on three fingers the Wardens in the entire Sierras and one of them retired on 4/23/10.

Marley
05-24-2010, 01:08 PM

Those regulations are in place to protect spawning fish coming up from Crowley and should be honored. If people want to fish for trout that they paid their taxes for, they can get them at any of a hunded other locations up there. The good thing about the story is that by fishing Power Bait, they likely didn't kill anything at all.
Aside from that, it's too late to caution someone after a warden makes note of an illegal act and that violation would be an expensive one. Also, wardens don't always look like wardens; I was fishing Crowley several years ago from a boat and had set up amidst a widely-dispersed flotilla of rentals. After an hour or so one of the rentals approached a nearby boat and the driver announced himself as a warden and issued a citation for behavior he had observed.

teejay
05-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the report. I havn't tried the Iris Meadow campground - its always been full when I'm up there. I usually can get a site in East Fork though.

UplandBasser
06-09-2010, 07:07 AM
You guys are full of it. The fact is protecting spawning is a joke, the last of the healthy true native fish have almost been wiped out. Everybody knows since the late 90's the sierra's are now truly a stocking fishery. Don't fool yourself into ever thinking that most of these fish are naturals. DFG, Alpers, ect., we pay taxes for trout to be stocked into the lakes and streams, we dont pay taxes for bass to be stocked into lakes and streams. Bass is a far superior fish, that does not need help from the DFG to reproduce. To think that you are going to protect a trout to live a full life is just stupid. Oh ya, dont forget, trout fishing is the Sierras is a lost cause as long as LADWP is draining the Eastern Sierras. If LADWP ever left the Sierras then we will talk, but that will never happen in our life time. The Eastern Sierras now are, heavily stocked areas of water with beautiful mountain surroundings. People from all over the US come here to fish these waters for the great trout fishing. And why is the trout fishing so great? Not the warden, not Billy Bad *** fisherman, not ranch owners, not the locals, but the DFG which is supported by california tax payers!!!!!!!!!

IncredibleHuck
06-09-2010, 10:36 AM
You guys are full of it. The fact is protecting spawning is a joke, the last of the healthy true native fish have almost been wiped out. Everybody knows since the late 90's the sierra's are now truly a stocking fishery. Don't fool yourself into ever thinking that most of these fish are naturals. DFG, Alpers, ect., we pay taxes for trout to be stocked into the lakes and streams, we dont pay taxes for bass to be stocked into lakes and streams. Bass is a far superior fish, that does not need help from the DFG to reproduce. To think that you are going to protect a trout to live a full life is just stupid. Oh ya, dont forget, trout fishing is the Sierras is a lost cause as long as LADWP is draining the Eastern Sierras. If LADWP ever left the Sierras then we will talk, but that will never happen in our life time. The Eastern Sierras now are, heavily stocked areas of water with beautiful mountain surroundings. People from all over the US come here to fish these waters for the great trout fishing. And why is the trout fishing so great? Not the warden, not Billy Bad *** fisherman, not ranch owners, not the locals, but the DFG which is supported by california tax payers!!!!!!!!!

Wow who pissed in your cereal. Obviously you don't fish the sierras too much or you would realize there are a lot of areas up there that don't get stocked, but do have a nice healthy population of wild reproducing trout. It's not our fault you don't put the time in to find them. Maybe try fishing McGee or Hot creek and see how many trout you actually catch.

Also don't forget besides the DFG, there are many other organizations that do stock up there.

And as far as debating bass to trout, i'm not going to argue about which fish I think is superior to the other. Both are fun to catch, I just prefer trout over bass.

SierraPeaks
06-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Wow who pissed in your cereal. Obviously you don't fish the sierras too much or you would realize there are a lot of areas up there that don't get stocked, but do have a nice healthy population of wild reproducing trout. It's not our fault you don't put the time in to find them. Maybe try fishing McGee or Hot creek and see how many trout you actually catch.

Also don't forget besides the DFG, there are many other organizations that do stock up there.

And as far as debating bass to trout, i'm not going to argue about which fish I think is superior to the other. Both are fun to catch, I just prefer trout over bass.

I'm just wondering what the purpose of UplandAsser's post was...other than to start crap on the board.

IncredibleHuck
06-09-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm just wondering what the purpose of UplandAsser's post was...other than to start crap on the board.

Ditto! Just another guys who is hell bent on trying piss people off...

UplandBasser
06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Sound like SierraPricks and IncredibleJoke are the same type of guys that think some how or some way the fish they catch in the Sierras are a gift from God. The only question is this, " Has fishing improved in the Sierras in the Past 50 years"? Answer that question, and then kick your self in the ***! The whole point is people need to realize, that telling some one else how to fish or better yet, what the rules are, is not your job. Saving a DFG stocked trout from a power baiter on McGee Creek is not going to dramatically improve the fishing in the Sierras. And dont question how much time I have put in up there, I gurantee, you dont even come close to what I have fished up there. Numbers dont lie, the DFG estimates that over 90 percent of the fish caught in the sierras are stockers. Sorry for having to school you.

Troutman65
06-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Sound like SierraPricks and IncredibleJoke are the same type of guys that think some how or some way the fish they catch in the Sierras are a gift from God. The only question is this, " Has fishing improved in the Sierras in the Past 50 years"? Answer that question, and then kick your self in the ***! The whole point is people need to realize, that telling some one else how to fish or better yet, what the rules are, is not your job. Saving a DFG stocked trout from a power baiter on McGee Creek is not going to dramatically improve the fishing in the Sierras. And dont question how much time I have put in up there, I gurantee, you dont even come close to what I have fished up there. Numbers dont lie, the DFG estimates that over 90 percent of the fish caught in the sierras are stockers. Sorry for having to school you.

I really don't think UplandBasser is not that off base here guys. He does have a point . If you go way back to the late 1800's they stocked trout up there by horse back with big wooden barrels on each side of the horse filled with water and trout to be stocked. As far as I know ( I could be wrong) all the trout were stocked up there. They introduced the German Brown trout up there . Not a natural . Even way back up in the high country an airplane flys over the lakes and stockes them. Boy that airplane ride is fun . ( I saw it on Hewell Houswer episode ) So , all those years stocking you bacicly are fishing a stocked fish that has gone wild in some cases . I look at it like this . Those fish were put up there to fish for and catch and eat. I believe in just fishing for your limit and not being greedy and take more than you need . I don't C&R trout up there no matter what kind of trout it is unless I am fishing in a section that is C&R. Chances are I would not fish that section of water anyway.

SierraPeaks
06-09-2010, 02:38 PM
I really don't think UplandBasser is not that off base here guys. He does have a point . If you go way back to the late 1800's they stocked trout up there by horse back with big wooden barrels on each side of the horse filled with water and trout to be stocked. As far as I know ( I could be wrong) all the trout were stocked up there. They introduced the German Brown trout up there . Not a natural . Even way back up in the high country an airplane flys over the lakes and stockes them. Boy that airplane ride is fun . ( I saw it on Hewell Houswer episode ) So , all those years stocking you bacicly are fishing a stocked fish that has gone wild in some cases . I look at it like this . Those fish were put up there to fish for and catch and eat. I believe in just fishing for your limit and not being greedy and take more than you need . I don't C&R trout up there no matter what kind of trout it is unless I am fishing in a section that is C&R. Chances are I would not fish that section of water anyway.

Whether he's right or wrong isn't an issue.
It's the fact that he comes off like a complete jerk trying to make his point. I think the boy has some anger issues.

IncredibleHuck
06-09-2010, 02:50 PM

Not going to get into a 8 year old name calling contest with you. People like you are the reason people don't post a lot of reports on this site anymore.

If we as anglers don't help other anglers out and help educate them, then who will? The two wardens out there? Come on now buddy and get off your high horse, and help out fellow anglers. That is one of the things that makes fishing great. MOST anglers will help another one out. The other 1% just dont seem to care as much about helping out, like you.

McGee creek does have wild rainbows/browns coming into it to spawn. If that wasn't the case, the regulations wouldn't be there. Same for Hot Creek, Deep Creek, Bear Creek, etc. Get a clue!

Really Patrick? Thats about like saying, "You might as well keep all the bass you keep from Lake Perris, since they were stocked there once upon a time"

Troutman65
06-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Whether he's right or wrong isn't an issue.
It's the fact that he comes off like a complete jerk trying to make his point. I think the boy has some anger issues.

He may very well have anger issues and hope he gets some therapy for that. :Wink:

Troutman65
06-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Not going to get into a 8 year old name calling contest with you. People like you are the reason people don't post a lot of reports on this site anymore.

If we as anglers don't help other anglers out and help educate them, then who will? The two wardens out there? Come on now buddy and get off your high horse, and help out fellow anglers. That is one of the things that makes fishing great. MOST anglers will help another one out. The other 1% just dont seem to care as much about helping out, like you.

McGee creek does have wild rainbows/browns coming into it to spawn. If that wasn't the case, the regulations wouldn't be there. Same for Hot Creek, Deep Creek, Bear Creek, etc. Get a clue!

Really Patrick? Thats about like saying, "You might as well keep all the bass you keep from Lake Perris, since they were stocked there once upon a time"

That's like compairing apples to oranges

If I had a taste for LMB I would keep my limit of bass everytime I went out say to lake Perris. I would be in my legal right to do so .

Fortunately , I don't like the taste of LMB .

UplandBasser
06-10-2010, 04:07 PM
You know the funny thing about this, I use to try and help anglers understand the meaning of catch and release at Puddingstone. But its seems like every dude caught on how to fish beds in March and April. 10 years later we are in 2010, and Bass fishing at Puddingstone just aint what is use to be. That is a Fact! Bass are kept, but they have to ability to keep decent numbers in most southern cali lakes. The DFG knows trout can not successfully reproduce like bass, therefore we have a great stocking program for trout in the sierras. Trout can reproduce, but are very limited to there numbers. Just because a bunch of pompas flyfisherman decided to represent trout as a human being and battle with LADWP. Does not mean we have to follow there lead. After looking at the situation for the past 10 years, it truly is a lost cause for the specific rules and regulations. The bulk of the fish are all stockers, but I would still like to keep it to a 5 fish limit per angler, and this is coming from a guy who only C&R 100%.

SierraPeaks
06-10-2010, 04:33 PM
You know the funny thing about this, I use to try and help anglers understand the meaning of catch and release at Puddingstone. But its seems like every dude caught on how to fish beds in March and April. 10 years later we are in 2010, and Bass fishing at Puddingstone just aint what is use to be. That is a Fact! Bass are kept, but they have to ability to keep decent numbers in most southern cali lakes. The DFG knows trout can not successfully reproduce like bass, therefore we have a great stocking program for trout in the sierras. Trout can reproduce, but are very limited to there numbers. Just because a bunch of pompas flyfisherman decided to represent trout as a human being and battle with LADWP. Does not mean we have to follow there lead. After looking at the situation for the past 10 years, it truly is a lost cause for the specific rules and regulations. The bulk of the fish are all stockers, but I would still like to keep it to a 5 fish limit per angler, and this is coming from a guy who only C&R 100%.

See ? You can state your case without bashing anybody.
I guess we'll chalk up your initial post to having a bad day.