PDA

View Full Version : Ponds at Ford Park in Redlands

Big Bear Legal Eagle
05-23-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm trying to put together a group to "adopt" and rehabilitate the two little ponds at Ford Park in Redlands. I have done a search of postings on FNN and picked up some anecdotal information about the ponds' past, but if anyone has any photos or other insights that we could use in our "pitch," please drop me a line and I'll contact you. The goal is to bring the ponds up to their potential for instructional fishing seminars and youth fishing opportunites.
One interesting note about those ponds: Bass Fishing Pro and Redlands resident, Brent Ehrler, has won 5 FLW tour events including the 2006 Championship at Logan Martin Lake, the Lake Havasu FLW event in 2009 and the 2010 FLW tour events at Table Rock Lake and Lake Shasta. Overall he has earned almost $1.5 million on the FLW tour. Brent grew up in Redlands and his first fishing experiences were at the ponds in Ford Park. He has already volunteered to help the project. The ponds that spawned a millionaire fisherman!!

carpanglerdude
05-23-2010, 03:16 PM
I would be down with that. I have fished the ponds, many times, with pretty crummy results, haha. Too many people, too few fish, and zero maintenance. Keep me updated :)

Big Bear Legal Eagle
05-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks Dude! I walked the perimeters of both ponds last week mid-morning and the ponds are loaded with small bass and stunted bluegill. A little more depth and a lot more cover and it could be a nice little spot for C&R. It's never going to rival DVL, but it could be a great place to take kids!

FLYFISHING MD
05-23-2010, 06:53 PM
That's a great idea! That's where I walk my dog and fly fish for bluegill and small bass. Send me a pm if you need help and I can provide you with signage if needed. I live 5 minutes from the lake.:BFish:

TaperSteve
05-24-2010, 08:42 AM
I used to fish there when I was a kid, I grew up in Redlands. My buddy and I would ride our bikes over there and get some rock candy at Griswold's and then head over to the park to do some fishing. Its been almost 20 years since ive been there. I was wondering what ever happened to Ford Park because you never hear anything about it on FNN. I remember seeing the older guys catching pretty nice sized catfish back then. Itd be nice to see those 2 ponds brought back up to par. Keep us FNNers updated on ways we can help out!

TaperSteve

Stormcrow
05-24-2010, 10:31 AM
If you need a biologist, let me know. I would be more than happy to volunteer my services.

Mrborohachi
05-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Place is just super weedy. Surprisingly clear water for so many weeds. Too many people keep bass if they catch them. You got to watch out for frisbees tho. A lot of people are there to frisbee golf. Still a great place for kids to catch bluegill.

BigDan
05-24-2010, 04:58 PM
I've fished that park many times, but rarely with success. I'd love to help in any way I can. It definitely has potential.

LuvThymetal
05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Im down ya hard, hit me up yee

castle
05-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Im down ya hard, hit me up yee

Icaught a 2 lb. Pacu out of there once. It almost broke my rod in two.People throw all there pet fish in there when they outgrow their aquariums.

pacerpacer8
05-24-2010, 11:35 PM
i grew up in redlands and fished those ponds 35 yrs ago during the summer we would ride ice blocks down the hills,im down ,i forgot about griswalds

mudskipper76
05-24-2010, 11:41 PM
sign me up! would love to see that place get fixed up!!

Big Bear Legal Eagle
06-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks to everyone reading my post on the ponds at Ford Park in Redlands. We are gaining some real traction here and my goal is to put together a project outline to submit to the Fish America Foundation grant contest with up to $25,000 for rehabilitation of an urban fishing area. I'm just up the hill from the park. You can reach me at (909) 793-3512 or at McAttorney@aol.com

Barrett McInerney

carpanglerdude
06-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Making that place C&R except for kids would be nice...or C&R for everything.

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
06-03-2010, 06:54 AM
You don't hear much about these ponds because fishermen keep it quiet. At times, it can be WFO even on topwater!!! However, I have not been to it for a good while, weed build up is a big problem. It's nice that somebody is going to, finally, do something about it.

My first bass was out there on a buzzbait, wo-ho!!!

Mrborohachi
06-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Has anyone fished it lately? I too remember in the time of Griswold's Smorgasbord and the candy shop. When was the last time DFG even stocked the place?

Sublime-Steve
06-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I do professional photography if ya need me lemme know free of charge

FireBassMan
06-08-2010, 05:15 PM
I fished there this spring every weekend for a month and caught 4-7 bass everytime i went. my kids love it because its like a forsure catch when they go weather it is bass or baby bluegill. the sad thing is to see locals catching the bed fish and taking them out. its good to see someone taking time to make that park a better place for the kids.

firebassman

usmcfisherman
06-13-2010, 05:15 PM
i have never actually fished the park but i have driven by it many times and always wondered about fishin it. if u need volunteers to help with anything i can pitch the idea to my JROTC instructor. hes a huge fisherman.

Big Bear Legal Eagle
06-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the offer!! The Marines to the rescue?? Love it!!
As an update for everybody, I am trying to do all the footwork just to make sure we don't step on any toes. I have had very favorable responses from the the City of Redlands Parks Department, the Redlands Water Department, Mike Giusti (the local Cal Fish & Game biologist), the citizen volunteer group building a dog park at Ford Park, Brent Erhler (the professional bass fisherman who first fished at Ford Park), Jim Matthews (Outdor News Service), Peter Jorris (Executive Director of the San Bernardino Mountins Land Trust), the owner of Pond Diggers (the company that builds waterfalls and ponds throughout Redlands and the Palm Springs area), and several members from the Fishing Network. I am still looking forward to making contact with the Ford family members who still live in the area, Deep Creek Flyfishers, local bass clubs, the Sierra Club, the Redlands Conservancy and the Inland Valley Retriever Club (my 6-month old Lab was the one who "discovered" the ponds). If you can think of anyone else, let me know!
Once I have locked down the source and reliability of the replacement water supply (As Mark Twain wrote: "In the west, whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting."), I will set up a general meeting at the ponds to walk the perimeter of the ponds and then go back up to our house for an initial overview meeting over "adult beverages." The goal is to have a written proposal by the end of the summer for submission for the urban fishing grant programs by the FishAmerica Foundation, the California Wildlife Conservation Board and anyone else where we can obtain donations. Thank you all for your continued interest and please do not hesitate to call.
Barrett McInerney
McAttorney@aol.com
(909) 793-3512

TaperSteve
06-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Good job Bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TS

bman90278
06-19-2010, 11:01 AM
I've been following this great thread and like how its progressing. Good luck and keep us updated.

brian

Sublime-Steve
06-19-2010, 12:43 PM
hey whats up did u get my e-mail?

BigDan
07-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Any recent updates on the project?

I've been fishing these ponds a bit in the last month. There are plenty of bluegill and bass in there. The bluegill are fun and easy to catch. The bass, on the other hand, are a different story. I'm sure a lot of it can be attributed to my lack of skills, but I cannot get those things to bite on anything! Don't let this discourage anyone though... Two days ago I saw a lady catch by far the biggest bass I've seen in those ponds. The sucker must have been around 4-5 lbs . Sounded like she wanted to keep it, but thankfully her husband dropped it when he took it off the hook.

I'm excited about these ponds being cleaned up. I'm willing to help in any way possible!

Big Bear Legal Eagle
04-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Hi Everyone!! Sorry for the delay but I was hoping to shake some preliminary grant money lose from either Fish America Foundation or CalDFG. Looks like we're going to have to do this local. I had a meeting with the 77 year old grandson of the man who created Ford Park and he's extremely enthusiastic. I'll be enlisting help from the Redlands Rotary Clubs on Wednesday morning. Could you please drop me a note on my regular e-mail so I make easier contact with those who would like to help.
McAttorney@aol.com
Barrett McInerney

Big Bear Legal Eagle
07-14-2014, 12:52 PM
GREAT NEWS!!! The reconstruction of the ponds at Ford Park is underway!!

After pitching this project for over five years, I finally attracted the interest of Fred Ford, the grandson of Ford Park's namesake, who convinced the two Rotary Clubs in Redlands to take the initiative on the ponds. Last week the lower pond was drained and so that the soil can dry out for dredging and re-contouring the bottom and banks. Once the lower pond is completed, it will be re-filled, re-stocked and the process will move to the upper pond. Here is the newspaper article:

http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/lifestyle/20140709/draining-of-lower-pond-at-ford-park-in-redlands-completes

If you are interested in assisting in the process, contact Mr. Ford at: fredbarbf@earthlink.net

TinBoatBob
07-23-2014, 04:33 PM
This is awesome....I learned to fish at Ford park, and now I take my kids fishing there. It has been in desperate need of some TLC for years. Thank you for stepping up and organizing this for our community.

castle
07-27-2014, 08:30 AM
Back in the mid 80s that place was great.Small channel cats and bgs galore in that lower pond.Giant tadpoles and frogs all over also.You dont see that there anymore. Hope all the effort helps there.

UnoBongacho
07-27-2014, 01:58 PM
That would be great! I took my gf there a few months ago and people were still fishing it, now it's completely torn up n drained...

castle
07-29-2014, 05:04 PM
If you catch anything now it may be micro gills or bass