PDA

View Full Version : 4lb fluorocarbon for 4-8lb rated rods?

fishfish1
05-23-2010, 12:37 PM
My GL2 is rated for 4-8lb and I was wondering how would 4lb fluorocarbon work, not too heavy for the guides or anything I'm assuming? Is most fluorocarbon a high breaking weight but lower weight/diameter than other lines yeah?

WormFisher
05-23-2010, 12:51 PM
it would work fine. You probably could go down to 2lb if you need to.

fishfish1
05-23-2010, 12:56 PM
it would work fine. You probably could go down to 2lb if you need to.

Isn't 2lb a little bit too light? I've never caught anything past a 3 pounder using it, not that anything bigger has broke me off but I've never had a chance at anything over 3 pounds anyway.

I keep trying to find 3lb test to be a bit safe instead of having to go to 4lb but I can't find any good 3lb anywhere, any idea why?

bsp
05-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Maxima Ultragreen comes in 3lb as does Toray Bawo Super Finesse fluourocarbon. My guess is that there jusst isn't that much demand for 3lb locally, so that's why the tackle shops don't stock it.

2lb isn't too light if you're mini jigging for trout. You can cast the ultralight mini jig a lot farther than with 4lb, and it gives it a better, subtler action when you jig it.

fishfish1
05-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Maxima Ultragreen comes in 3lb as does Toray Bawo Super Finesse fluourocarbon. My guess is that there jusst isn't that much demand for 3lb locally, so that's why the tackle shops don't stock it.

2lb isn't too light if you're mini jigging for trout. You can cast the ultralight mini jig a lot farther than with 4lb, and it gives it a better, subtler action when you jig it.

Isn't some 4lb pretty much the same diameter, etc, as other 3lb or 2lbs except for a greater breaking strength?

bsp
05-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Nope. 2lb is noticeably thinner in diameter than 4lb line, hence the benefits.

WormFisher
05-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Last year I was fishing with a friend and he caught back to back DVL 6 lb'ers on 5lb test and several 3-5lb fish on 3lb test line.

Nessie Hunter
05-27-2010, 06:54 PM
It sounds like your measuring your line size to the size of fish you plan to catch???

Your drags & Rod are what catches the fish, not the line weight...

I have caught 10# fish on 2# line, its all in the Drags and rod action (absorbs shock of hard runs)...

dockboy
05-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Nessi has it right on. Drags and a rod with good shock absorption is what its all about. You can use flouro in light weights. Its less visible, and a bit stiffer, which helps with tangles. Its more abrasion resistant, but also more prone to break once it's damaged, so retie often.
I personally fish 3lb. in P-Line Flouroclear with very good results. It not flourocarbon but a mono core with flourocarbon coating.
For the majority of trout fishing, 4lb is the standard and will fish most things just fine. But for mini-jigs, the reduced diameter of 2lb helps with casting distance. Some guys have had excellent success fishing braid with a short flouro leader for jigs, due to the highs strength to diameter ratio of braided lines.