PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to North Lake/Grass lake this year? Conditions?

JAG107
05-23-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm gonna try to hit Grass Lake and North Lake this Memorial Weekend. Does anyone know what its like up there right now, is it thawed, or accessible at least? Or is Bishop Creek/Weir pond/Sabrina my best bet?

Eat Sleep Fish
05-23-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm gonna try to hit Grass Lake and North Lake this Memorial Weekend. Does anyone know what its like up there right now, is it thawed, or accessible at least? Or is Bishop Creek/Weir pond/Sabrina my best bet?

i saw a group walking down the road last week from north (road is still closed). and between the 3 of them, they had what looked like close to limits with a couple of nicer fish in the mix.

SierraPeaks
05-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Sabrina is still partially frozen and has been drained to allow for work on the dam, leaving just the two smaller natural lakes (one lake but appears as two) That's usually a good thing. The fish are stacked. Now if the weather would just cooperate.
As far as North goes...as of last Monday, there was still quite a bit of ice and new storms came in this week. So I'd call the USFS White Mountains Station. (they cover Independence to McGee Creek) The woman there will give you the latest and best information.

Eat Sleep Fish
05-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Sabrina is still partially frozen and has been drained to allow for work on the dam, leaving just the two smaller natural lakes (one lake but appears as two) That's usually a good thing. The fish are stacked. Now if the weather would just cooperate.
As far as North goes...as of last Monday, there was still quite a bit of ice and new storms came in this week. So I'd call the USFS White Mountains Station. (they cover Independence to McGee Creek) The woman there will give you the latest and best information.

they decided not to do work on the dam this year. so basically, draining the lake was for no reason. once the thaw gets into full swing, the lake will fill up fast though. no water shortage this year, thats for sure.

JAG107
05-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
Sierra peaks-- you don't happen to have that USFS station's phone # do you? I couldn't find it on the usfs website.

Eat Sleep Fish
05-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Just found out that both the roads to South Lake AND North Lake are now officially open and cleared. Just watch for ice in the mornings.

SierraPeaks
05-23-2010, 04:09 PM
JAG...try one of these (I wrote the numbers down but didn't write down which number goes with who I was calling)
Anyway...one of these numbers is probably it...but ask if they're not. I'm sure someone will have it.

760-873-2408
760-873-2433

SierraPeaks
05-23-2010, 04:13 PM
JAG...if neither of those numbers do you any good...call Parcher's Resort. They should have info on all 3 lakes (South, Sabrina, North)

(760) 873-4177

JAG107
05-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Right on, thanks! I'll call Sabrina Landing too if I need to.

Eat Sleep Fish
05-23-2010, 08:55 PM
SOUTH LAKE
"Well folks, the county opened the road to South Lake today. The water is waaaaaay low but there is some open water in Boiler Cove and out by the inlet. There is actually room to park up there too - Memorial Day weekend should be awesome."

-Jared (SierraSmitty) of Parchers Resort

LAKE SABRINA
"Lake Sabrina is ice-free, but still low. Not much of a run-off yet. What would you expect with temps this weekend not getting above freezing? Had a bit of snow thru the week with nothing sticking then, but today (Sunday) we woke to 10 inches of snow and the wind-chill temps at 5 degrees. Yes, you read that correct FIVE DEGREES. Fishing was decent this week again. With snow and wind and the temps in the teens, it still did not stop those that NEEDED to fish. The farther back the fishermen trekked, the better the fishing got. Using NightCrawlers, Salmon Eggs or Crickets (pick those up in Bishop) was working the best. The lake is still coming up slowly. Rick says we`ll have boats for rent later this week. Temps for next week are up and down with a new storm due in Tuesday night and Wednesday. Not sure if there is something coming in over next weekend, but you can check www.weather.gov and enter ASPENDELL, CA on the site and it will give you a fairly good hint at the weather or check in with Howard at www.MammothWeather.com.

-Lake Sabrina Boat Landing

NORTH LAKE
"The roads to North Lake and South Lake are now open. Just be careful in the morning due to ice on the roads. Also, take it easy on Hwy 168, the deer are moving around and darting across the road. We`ve heard about quite a few vehicle verses deer accidents in the Canyon and saw the results on the truck - not pretty."

-Lake Sabrina Boat Landing