PDA

View Full Version : QUICK and slow NPH session!! 5 22 2010

ghetto dad
05-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Good afternoon everyone,

Well, woke up this morning and really wanted to fish, but I knew that we had plans to go through our camping gear and purchase the items that we need for our trip next weekend. Looked at the clock and decided that I would make a quick NPH session, being that I only live about 10 minutes away. So I got up, threw my gear in the car, and headed to NP.

Arrive at the Island at about 9:00 am, and knew that I only had about an hour or so to try to do some damage, so I set up with a #1/0 Owner Worm Hook, a GULP! Swimming Mullet in smelt color, and a ¼ oz d/s sinker, all attached to my Phenix Ultra MBX d/s rod and Shimano Sahara 2500 FD. On a side note, I REALLY love this rod, its extremely light weight, strong, and VERY sensitive. I can feel a fish even looking at my offering, lol. Matched with my Sahara, it makes, i.m.o. , an excellent surf/bay rod for bass and halibut. I recommend picking one up, it is well worth the money. Picked my first spot, and made my first cast. Just then, my NPH Fishing Buddy, “Fish Cat,” shows up to fish with me!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC11418.jpg

I missed one on the first cast, and did not get a bite afterwards, and I also noticed the tide was going down. So I knew I had to work a lot of areas in the short amount of time that I had to fish, so that’s what I did. I worked EVERY spot that I could flip/cast my rig, and worked each spot hard and quick. I missed a couple more fish, and decided that I would try my luck at my top secret, 007 halibut area, lol. So I headed West to give it a quick shot.

Arrive at the location, which looked good, and made my first cast. BAM! Set the hook, fish pulled back pretty hard, and spit the hook. Second cast, worked it back slower this time, tap..tap….BAM! Set the hook hard and this time it was a solid hookset. I knew immediately the way it fought that it was my target species, and after a nice battle, I carefully beached it.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC11419.jpg

Quickly photographed the fish, unhooked it, and released it back home. The skunk was off, and so was the pressure, lol. Made some more casts, worked this stretch quite a bit more for a couple missed fish, and looked at the time. It was about time to go, I got my hour fishing time in. Of course though, on the way back east to the car, you know I had to work the areas again! I re-rigged with a 5 inch GULP! Jerkshad in nuclear chicken, which is by far, my favorite jig to fish in NPH. Proceeded east and fished all the areas on the way back to the car, and as usual, missed a few more fish.

These fish have been very reluctant to commit to eating the jigs. I believe that it has something to do with the vast amounts of small bait that I have seen in the bay this year, there is a lot more bait in here than last year. I believe that is why I am missing so many fish, that and the fact that most of the time I fish the bigger jigs, in hopes to get a larger fish. “big bait, big fish,” you know? J So the dinks are having a hard time getting to the hook on this bigger bait. Which is fine, I want one to throw me on the HPH Legends board! Lol….

Finally, I jumped in my car and headed back home, with a LONG drive ahead of me! LOL! As I am typing this, my wife and Lil Hailey are mad dogging me waiting for me to get done with this report so that we can go to Wal-mart. Hailey knows shes getting a new fishing pole for camping, so she is REALLY wanting to go! So that’s it, until next time……..GD out!!

Have a great day everyone!!

GD

Troutman65
05-22-2010, 04:19 PM
007 Halibut area?:Secret: Ok.:LOL: Cool you got out and fished again.:Cool::Envious: Nice report:Cool: . Its about time.:Evil: Been waiting all day for this report.:mad::LOL: Leave my kitty alone.:LOL:

fishshep
05-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Hope ya-all catch alot on that camping trip !!!

murrieta angler
05-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Good afternoon everyone,

Well, woke up this morning and really wanted to fish, but I knew that we had plans to go through our camping gear and purchase the items that we need for our trip next weekend. Looked at the clock and decided that I would make a quick NPH session, being that I only live about 10 minutes away. So I got up, threw my gear in the car, and headed to NP.

Arrive at the Island at about 9:00 am, and knew that I only had about an hour or so to try to do some damage, so I set up with a #1/0 Owner Worm Hook, a GULP! Swimming Mullet in smelt color, and a ¼ oz d/s sinker, all attached to my Phenix Ultra MBX d/s rod and Shimano Sahara 2500 FD. On a side note, I REALLY love this rod, its extremely light weight, strong, and VERY sensitive. I can feel a fish even looking at my offering, lol. Matched with my Sahara, it makes, i.m.o. , an excellent surf/bay rod for bass and halibut. I recommend picking one up, it is well worth the money. Picked my first spot, and made my first cast. Just then, my NPH Fishing Buddy, “Fish Cat,” shows up to fish with me!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC11418.jpg

I missed one on the first cast, and did not get a bite afterwards, and I also noticed the tide was going down. So I knew I had to work a lot of areas in the short amount of time that I had to fish, so that’s what I did. I worked EVERY spot that I could flip/cast my rig, and worked each spot hard and quick. I missed a couple more fish, and decided that I would try my luck at my top secret, 007 halibut area, lol. So I headed West to give it a quick shot.

Arrive at the location, which looked good, and made my first cast. BAM! Set the hook, fish pulled back pretty hard, and spit the hook. Second cast, worked it back slower this time, tap..tap….BAM! Set the hook hard and this time it was a solid hookset. I knew immediately the way it fought that it was my target species, and after a nice battle, I carefully beached it.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC11419.jpg

Quickly photographed the fish, unhooked it, and released it back home. The skunk was off, and so was the pressure, lol. Made some more casts, worked this stretch quite a bit more for a couple missed fish, and looked at the time. It was about time to go, I got my hour fishing time in. Of course though, on the way back east to the car, you know I had to work the areas again! I re-rigged with a 5 inch GULP! Jerkshad in nuclear chicken, which is by far, my favorite jig to fish in NPH. Proceeded east and fished all the areas on the way back to the car, and as usual, missed a few more fish.

These fish have been very reluctant to commit to eating the jigs. I believe that it has something to do with the vast amounts of small bait that I have seen in the bay this year, there is a lot more bait in here than last year. I believe that is why I am missing so many fish, that and the fact that most of the time I fish the bigger jigs, in hopes to get a larger fish. “big bait, big fish,” you know? J So the dinks are having a hard time getting to the hook on this bigger bait. Which is fine, I want one to throw me on the HPH Legends board! Lol….

Finally, I jumped in my car and headed back home, with a LONG drive ahead of me! LOL! As I am typing this, my wife and Lil Hailey are mad dogging me waiting for me to get done with this report so that we can go to Wal-mart. Hailey knows shes getting a new fishing pole for camping, so she is REALLY wanting to go! So that’s it, until next time……..GD out!!

Have a great day everyone!!

GD

Very nice report GD!
Enjoyed the report as well as the picture of the 18" halibut.
Are you feeding the cat or does it just know you from the times you've been there?
Where are you going camping at?
Thanks Again,
Robert

calico killer kevin
05-22-2010, 05:15 PM
GD you now fish way too much haha.
Give the Gulp Shrimp a go. You might like it...

DockRat
05-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Cool Pic Style. :Cool:
DR

Troutman65
05-22-2010, 08:36 PM
I was going by today and saw you

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f97/jenny_lee_111/074_74.jpg

ghetto dad
05-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Very nice report GD!
Enjoyed the report as well as the picture of the 18" halibut.
Are you feeding the cat or does it just know you from the times you've been there?
Where are you going camping at?
Thanks Again,
Robert

thanks man..no..the cat sees me and just comes up to me and follows me..when i start fishing....he sits down..lol...i camp at Woods Vaeely Campground....

GD you now fish way too much haha.
Give the Gulp Shrimp a go. You might like it...

lol..not enough man..i have a LOT of catching up to do....and i have used that since you told me last year brother..and i HAVE caught fish on them....idk....i just wanna fish the bigger baits..lol,. thanks man!

Cool Pic Style. :Cool:
DR

thanks DR

LMAO!! yeah..ok...thanks parick

GD

Jaysuuun
05-24-2010, 07:05 AM
GD, nice to see you back in NPH. I've also noticed tons of bait in the water and the bass have been loaded with baitfish on my past few outings. I've been trying to use up my opened bags of Gulp before they dry out, but they are just not producing as well for me right now. Next time give the big hammer a try. :Wink:

Hope to see more reports from you.

Nice pic. Looks just like google maps. :LOL: