PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Bean Hunting 7/17

rusty6
07-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Went back down to sunset this morning to get some beans. got there, slight breeze and extremely low tide. sweeeeet! beans were sliding everywhere. one problem, the sand was extremely full of pebbles and digging for crabs was taking a toll on my fingers. that and all i could find hard shell crabs. so after fishing for 2 hours with the crabs to no avail, i went to huntington to see if there was anything better to be found there. huge bed under the pier full of good sized hard and softshell crabs, all full of roe. collected about 30 and headed back to sunset. well, now its hightide but there are still a couple of beans to be found. had a pretty decent pick on big perch, smallest being 8" largest 11" caught 8 of them. Still no beans. I have yet to catch a bean when purposely targeting them. tackle= 6 lb. mono mainline, 4 ft. 6 lb. flouro leader, 1/4 oz. sliding sinker, size 12 hook, sand crab bait tons of beans but got the skunk...any tips or modifications would be helpful, plan on going back out tomorrow but going to grab the better crabs at huntington first.

MikeAce00
07-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Hmmm I was thinking about hitting up the surf as well... Maybe I'll see you their... sounds like maybe I should head under the pier first also :wink:

Man I sound like a lurker... maybe I'll just through some gulp camo... really like to catch a bean though...

LBCBaller
07-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Never caught a bean before, but I've never really targeted them neither. I know how that sand is at Sunset, I come home after body boarding there with small cuts all over my hands and knees :x . I'm glad to hear though Sunset has been producing some fish, it's maybe the closest and most convient beach for me to fish.

getthenet
07-17-2007, 07:39 PM
yeah i seem to get them not even trying for them alot 4lb is what i use soft shell always if possible gonna check hermosa tommorow good luck

Dreamer
07-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Nice work on the BSP. You'll nail a bean sooner or later, just takes
patience. I usually hook alot of them using mussel while fishing for
croakers and perch. Try peeling the shell off the hardshell crabs
if the softshell aren't available. Just make sure to use the ones
full of roe, gets better results.

ChannelCat3
07-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Try shortening your leader down to 18-22", and use a size #4-6 owner mosquito hook(I prefer #4). Place 2-3 Sandcrabs on your hook and your ready to catch a colossal bean. Try hitting them up under or around the piers. They like the shelter the piers give. And there's nobody swimming near the pier, because that area is usually restricted to sufer's.That's been my success. Caught a huge 26" bean yesterday at Malibu Pier. Give it a try..

PS, under or near any pier will work.

fishfinder
07-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Whats a bean?

bsp
07-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Whats a bean?

A corbina.

fishfinder
07-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Whats a bean?

A corbina.