PDA

View Full Version : 2010 clear lake catfish derby

BULLDOGBOOGERS
05-19-2010, 11:24 AM
well i must say...it rates # 1 in my book as the best channel catfish spot in california if your on the hunt for large channel cat's...and lots of them !! the clear lake derby was a three day event .. first prize was a boat motor & trailer.....the next 21 spots were paid in cash...or should i say check... the atmosphere was amaysing....it was like the whole town closed down....to consentrate on one thing.. "the biggest catfish derby west of the mississippi river. and the s.c.c.a. group & team 57 catfish hunters were out in full force !! locked & loaded...working as a team representing southern california catfishing...there were 565 paricipating in this years event.... we had 25 in our group......keith roddy the founder at s.c.c.a. was quoted as saying....next year it will even bigger when the word gets out...... everybody started fishing at 12:01 friday afternoon....a loud siren went off....letting the towns people & the fisherman & fisherwomen on the lake....know the 2010 clear lake derby was under way...within the first 15 min's steve johnson "aka" katfish j the winner of the 2001 derby caught the first fish in the group....a nice 10 pounder....within min's after that tony ferguson "aka" luckie33 who took 8th place in last years derby landed a 11 pounder......i looked over to my partner cisco "the alley cat and said...man why could that not of been us.........then all of a sudden my rod bends over......it's an 8 pounder.....come to find out it was the smallest fish i caught in three days.......within the next 5 hours.. i caught 9,10,11 & two 12 pounders.... i was on fire !!!..it remined the Bulldog of corona lake in 2008..with my zebco's...but man these cats at clear lake are lots bigger !...both of us the cat & the dogg working together.....as one !! man it was wild !! i don't know how many cat's we caught we stoped counting after 20.....we had four different stringers around the boat......cisco then spoak up and said..scott...we can't keep all of these fish...so i said o.k. so one by one we started letting them go...but we keep the three biggest one's.....about that time..... keith roddy....drove by us in his boat and yelled out how you guys doing......the alley cay yells back and says we killing them.....the bulldog was not so thought-full.....i yelled back..and said we can't catch a thing...hehehehe......keith knew the bulldog was lying thru his teeth......keith droped his ankors about 100 yards from us and within 5 min's...he catches a 24 pound cat.....he then pulls the ankors back up and heads to the firestation "derby headquarters"........24.1....and low and behold keiths in first place !!.....but in the end keith gets second place.....and the guy that beat him out of first...his fish weighed 4 oz's more the keiths..."unbeliebable" !! but that's fishing....keiths fishing partner casey "aka" mellowmoods came in 21st with a 15 pounder !! as for the alley cat & the bulldog we will have to wait till next years derby.......because our 12 pounders just don't cut it at clear lake....but we will get them next year !! it was a super trip over all...i put over 1200 miles on my truck round trip !! but we had a blast........looking forward to next years trip all-ready........team 57 & the s.c.c.a. fishing group.....we will get them next year......unity thru fishing !!...ya got to love it !!

scott "aka" the bulldogboogers

BULLDOGBOOGERS
05-19-2010, 11:35 AM
The (pic's)

Native Gal
05-19-2010, 10:21 PM
SoCal representin'
Congrats to you Gents on an xlnt slay at the Tourney and placing. Glad your trip turned out successful. WTG Guys!!!! Thanks for sharing good times and pixs. Clearlake has some nice LMB.

NG
:Cool:

Mondo21
05-19-2010, 10:54 PM
GREAT JOB GUYS!!! Nice lookin' Cats. The steak looked juicy too. Cindy:Big Grin:

Swank909
05-20-2010, 03:18 AM
Way to stick it to the cats! I look forward to next years report :P

Fisherman57
05-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Cool!

Thanks for the report!......
Congrats Keith on the runner up! VERY nice job!

scca
05-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the love Dana !! Here is a little video SCCA member Knotgilty put together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8E9gJxCaNk

Frenchy
05-21-2010, 02:30 PM
great report too bad about the guy that gave his life in his pursuit of the big kitties should had pfds on board let that ne a lesson to all of us RIP MAN

PONTOON
05-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Awesome report Bulldog! Man, that sounded like it was a good time. Congrats to all the so cal participants and Keith, man, congrats go out to you too! 4oz, that was definitely a heartbreaker.
Thanks for the post.

scca
05-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Awesome report Bulldog! Man, that sounded like it was a good time. Congrats to all the so cal participants and Keith, man, congrats go out to you too! 4oz, that was definitely a heartbreaker.
Thanks for the post.
Thanks Pontoon !!! We had a blast up there. Clear Lake is a Channel cat masterpiece that's for sure. We plan to do it bigger next year. The bite is worth the drive. Plus we will be sponsoring the event again. See ya at the Vine sometime this summer.

2quikmotorwerks
05-26-2010, 11:34 AM
man i had no idea this event was going on, great job outhere guys

scca
06-04-2010, 09:31 PM
simply an awesome trip and showing by the scca. man i cannot wait till corona does the discount fridays. im going every week with my crappie light and a buncha sardines and spam. but maybe......clear lake road trip???

Thanks for the love !!! We will see you at Corona this summer.

catfishruss
07-09-2010, 04:36 PM
ah man I just found out about this event. Count me in for next year. I'm pretty well known in southern california fishing circles but I've spent many a summers and falls in hayward and berkeley and can easily make this event. ANyone know where I can go for the details on it?

scca
07-15-2010, 09:31 PM
ah man I just found out about this event. Count me in for next year. I'm pretty well known in southern california fishing circles but I've spent many a summers and falls in hayward and berkeley and can easily make this event. ANyone know where I can go for the details on it?

you can go to the scca webpage. its on the front page bottom leftside. click the link it will take directly to the clear lake catfish derby webpage.
Also check The funky fishing show.com for the clearlake fishing episode. It should be up within the next 2 week. The promo is running now.
We would love to have you out next year.