PDA

View Full Version : Duct Monster 5-15 late report

Marine_Michael
05-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Fishing west side of duct from @ 3am till after 7am for only one fish landed.

I spent most of the early morning hours chucking lures in hopes of finding the stripers. Several different lures and spots later I though I had one. I had just changed lures and was using my lightweight setup 1500 size reel with 7 1/2' ML rod and 6# Floroclear. On my first or second cast after switching rods in the new spot I got what felt like a hit. I set the hook hard and began the fight. There was drag pulling, line stripping and every time I thought I had it close to side it made another run. I finally got it close enough to show color and to my surprise it was a large catfish. A little while later I found out why it was putting up such a fight. It was foul hooked just behind the anal fins. Another 10 min later and 100 yards downstream and I'm managed to get it to the side. I wasn't thinking and tried to pull it up further on the bank with just the line. Of course it snapped, the fish was sitting in only a few inches of water so I ran down and tried to grab it with my hands, but it's slime coat did it's job and it slipped away, taking my lure with it. I'd estimate that fish at somewhere between 8-12 lbs, easily bigger than any I'd caught before.

About 30 min later and another couple hundred yards further down the bank I thought I got another quick double tap on the lure. I tried working the area for another 10-15 min, but whatever hit it had moved on.

Just after sunrise after getting frustrated with the lack of action on lures for the stripers and wanting to beat the skunk, I decided to drift some chicken liver. Because I lost the earlier fish I decided to use my other setup, a 9' M IM7 rod and 4000 size reel with 8# Yozuri Ultrasoft line. Less than 10 minutes after that I had something nibbling on my bait. I waited till I was sure it had taken it and set the hook and the fight was on. At first I didn't' think that it was a very large fish especially after the dainty way it took the bait. Not long after that to borrow the term from Yolo " it felt like I was pulling up a stump", just a lot of dead weight. I thought maybe a smaller fish had taken me around a snag or something and I was pulling it up too. Eventually I got it near the surface and we got a chance to see the size of it. I think Yolo was more excited about it than I was at that point. Once I got it close to the surface it realized it was hooked or something and took off. I let it run, then pumper the rod reeling in on the downward swing as if it was a tuna. Finally I had it warn out enough that I could bring it closer to shore and work it downstream to a ladder so I'd have a better footing to land the fish. There was no way I was going to try and bounce this one in on 8# test. Once I had it to shore I handed off my rod to Yolo and grabbed the fish under the gills with one hand and then used Yolo's lip gripper on it's lower lip to bring it in. Fresh out of the water I had to use both hands to carry it, it was so heavy. It took about 15 min (maybe longer) to land the fish and man was it worth it. This fish is easily 3 times larger than my previous PB catfish. This fish was seriously gut hooked, in fact I couldn't even see the hook, just the line going into it's stomach and a bit of blood.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/rysman/MikeDuct03-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/rysman/MikeDuct02.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/rysman/MikeDuct01.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/rysman/MikeDuct04.jpg

I couldn't get my digi scale to display in pounds instead of kg so had to convert the 10 kg to pounds once I was home. The fish tips the scales at just over 22 lbs after being out of the water and dehydrating for over an hour.

Zach1093
05-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Now thats a fish! Nice catch man!

Fishbones
05-18-2010, 12:51 PM
holy catfish, sweet job bro that things a beast for sure.

madwire3
05-18-2010, 01:27 PM
niceeee, good job man

elevated
05-18-2010, 01:42 PM
damm man good job out there, thats a big kitty...

lalo56
05-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Wow! That cat makes the trip worth it. Good job out there.

fishinone
05-18-2010, 01:52 PM
That's a nice catfish. It looks like a cartoon of a catfish. What do you think, steroids?

AQUABOOGIE AKA MADDFISHIN
05-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Awsome!!! Beautiful cat & pics. Congrats.

doorman
05-18-2010, 02:11 PM
huge dome. looks pretty tasty

yolo
05-18-2010, 02:30 PM
It was totally like a stump. It is definitely the biggest channel I have seen come out of the duct and it was cool to see it live. I was stubborn and stuck to my lures in search of the stripers and didn't want to target the cats that morning. If I would have known what's lurking, I probably would have changed, lol? I was even the one that suggested to work the bait that special way like I like to when fishing bait in the duct on the way back to the car. I was in front of you down flow so it might have hit me first :LOL: That's a trophy channel cat you got MM. Good job!

madwire3
05-18-2010, 02:51 PM
is that a channel? never seen one look like that and that green. crazy stuff

yolo
05-18-2010, 03:00 PM
I took the pics and that was the color of it. It's definitely a channel. The morning sunrise lighting could have contributed to the coloring in the pic but it does not look unusual to me both live and in the pics. Many duct channels I have caught look very similar in color.

madwire3
05-18-2010, 03:10 PM
wasnt doubting ya just crazy ive never caught a bigger channel out of the duct just small dudes and they always have a slight yellow so the greenish on the big boys makes sence, awesome catch

Bassnman Mike
05-18-2010, 04:11 PM
that thing is a freaking mutant! Nice Job Mike!

Fish Tacos For Everyone!

CALFISHER4EVR
05-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Awesome fish!! The head has massive muscle on it. Reminds me of a bulldog.

barneybasher1010
05-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Nice Cat! Good job.

LuvThymetal
05-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Holly ****!!! Now that is a monster, amazing job man.

Native Gal
05-18-2010, 10:29 PM
supersized duct cat, congrats on the beast! Awesome!

ng

marzocchi
05-19-2010, 01:41 AM
That thing is huge!

tpfishnfool
05-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Awsome !!!

I have always said the Antalope Valley has the fattest ''Pussies'' in the duct system...

Eat Sleep Fish
05-23-2010, 12:19 PM
could imagine the fight. big fish. congrats.

NooB SaBass
05-29-2010, 07:20 PM
HOLY SHIP RODS AND SINKERS thats a huge cat! A true beast man awesome job on landing it!