PDA

View Full Version : Need some guidance...

fishermandoITbetter
05-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Thanks in advance for you reading and for any advice.
My father in law is taking me and the family up to Kennedy Meadows for a camping/fishing/4x4 trip. To most of you this doesnt sound like much but this will be my first time in that pristine country.. I am originally from West Texas, so for me a fishing hole is literally that a hole on some ranchers property that happens to have water in it... Not very exciting.... I have not had the privielege of learning to fly fish yet so I will be up there with some ultralight spinning gear.
So my questions to the experts are:
Any stand-out spots that we should hit before any others?
What are the go-to lures in that area? hardware? plastics?
I would prefer not to chuck bait but I will have my lil fishin partner with me and that could prove to be the hot ticket for her. worms? power bait? salmon eggs?

Most guys would be a little worried about his "gun toting" father in law taking up to the wilderness but to be honest I am more afraid that I will be so mesmorized by the beauty of that place that I will hike off into the sunset and never be seen again...

Again Thanks for reading and thank you for any helpful advice!!!

dockboy
05-18-2010, 08:11 PM
I cant give away spots but I can help out with tackle. It will be pretty basic stuff:

For line, 2-4lb test is fine. I fish with 4lb most the time, and catch plenty of fish. Most of the small spinning reels today with a decent price tag come with a spare spool, especially those from Shimano and Daiwa. 2lb can be key to casting far enough to get a bite, and these fish can be wary, especially if you find a pod of big goldens. Just remember to get a reel with a smooth drag. That $30 dollar price tag might look good, but its looks a lot less so when you lose a big fish to crud drags.
Rod wise, a 6'6" UL will fish lakes and streams well. An ideal setup would be a 7' UL to fish lakes, and a 5-6' UL for streams where space is limited. But, if you only want to bring one, a 6'6" UL does both well enough.
Lure wise, you have lots of options. The 1/32oz Panther Martins are standards, and 1/16oz is handy when you need more casting distance. The 500 and 501 Super Dupers are favorites, and 1/12- 1/8oz Kastmasters are good too. The smallest size Rooster Tails catch a lot of fish.
Another good one is the always popular Thomas Bouyant in 1/6oz, which is about the largest lure you'll need in the high country. Its small enough to not scare away most fish, yet gets deep enough to effectively fish lakes and deeper pools.
The trout jigs and Power Trout Worms and Nymphs catch fish too. They require more specialized equipment, so thats a consideration. If you want to keep it simple, I'd stock up with the standard hardware like Kastmasters and Panther Martins.
You can use flies on spin gear. Its called fly and bubble fishing. You take the smallest clear bubble you can find, and then the smallest swivel possible (Spro makes a great, incredibly small barrel swivel). From there a sizable leader of 2lb, and the fly of choice. Popular flies for this are the Mosquito, Adams, Griffiths Gnat, Black Gnat, Sierra Brite Dot, Woolly Bugger, Pheasant Tail, and Hares Ear. You can get a basic selection from a Sport Chalet or similar big box store usually. This method works great during an evening hatch.
As far as bait goes, salmon eggs work well and are easy to store. A few packages of egg hooks in #12-18 and you are in business. As far as weights go, a selection of split shot and small egg sinkers work fine. These fish are wild and have never seen a hatchery pellet, so Power Bait is not effective like it is in stocked low elevation waters. Crawlers work very well, but storage is an issue. If you have the ability to store them, they can be well worth it.
But remember bait leads to more swallowed hooks, so lures do pay off in that sense. If you plan on keeping your catch for dinner, keep what you'll eat and carefully release the rest. No towels, dehookers, or death grips when you release a fish. Keep it in the water, wet your hands before handling a fish for release, and if you take a photos, make it quick. Also, a deep hooked fish will have far better chance of surviving if you cut the line close to the hook and minimize contact. Hooks will rust out quick in an aquatic environment.Using a pair of needle nose pliers to pinch down barbs on lures is not a bad idea either. Also, keep a copy of the regs on you. Its to your advantage to know where and what type of fishing can be done, and what species you can harvest if you wish.

troutasaurus
05-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Remember the mosquito repellent. The Emigrant Wilderness is notorious for 'em.