PDA

View Full Version : Sunday at the vine!

ezcompany
05-16-2010, 11:22 PM
So on Friday my newest (and LAST) set up arrived in the mail, dedicated for large mouth bass as its definitely the top 3 types of fishing I enjoy the most.
Couldn't wait to break it in over the weekend, but had a cold and couldn't get out of the house on Saturday.
Decided to hit the surf today with my buddy Eric, but when I got to his place we made a last minute decision to hit the Vine.
Got there around 12:15pm, which we already knew was late but still had hopes because the weather was overcast and cloudy. Found out the lake closed at 4pm, but decided to give it a shot anyways. Paid our dues and went out of the marina.
First bait in the water, 8 inch black worm (blueberry scented :lol:) and a bass out of nowhere comes out and snaps it up. Swung, felt tension, but somehow the hook didn't set and it got away. Missed my first fish of the day :?
Then after an hour or two, my buddy kept missing on his bites. I switched to the 5" senko, and finally land the skunk buster with this fella, and caught my first fish on my new set up!
http://i40.tinypic.com/6gwwt4.jpg
Decided to stick with the senko as the fish were holding deep and it sank faster than all the other plastics I had.
Got another bass, and this time its tiny, around 12 inches or so. Got him to the boat and shook him off easily.
I saw some big carp and trout swim by too, and switched a bit using powerbait. Got bored quickly, and we returned to the original spot. With only about 45 minutes left to the day, I stuck with the senko again. After working it reeealllll slow, i let it sit for 10 seconds, and gave a gentle tug. Felt some resistance, so confirmed it with another gentle tug. Sure enough, it was still there, swung and set the hook, and the resistance came alive! After about a minute into the battle, the fish finally came to color and gave a beautiful aerial show, in which my friend finally admitted he was jealous :lol: Tried to get him to the boat then he started peeling some drag :shock: Not a lot of bass have done that before. After another few minutes, finally got him on the boat, and scored one of my best bass in the West Coast! 8)

http://i39.tinypic.com/5u4h6x.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/125p8oj.jpg

No weight on the beauty, but measured a solid 20 inches on the tape, and my fist easily fit in its mouth. My conservative guess would be 5lbs~

Released the fish right after the pics just in case it was still a bedding fish, and on the same spot it was caught.

Out of the water by 4pm, all fish caught on texas and wacky rigged senkos and 8lb line.

Thanks for reading, I never knew the Vine would reward me finally 8)

Mondo21
05-17-2010, 11:33 AM
The Bass bite is still going strong! Great job out there Guy. Those are some nice size Bass. Cindy:Big Grin:

EL_CHIDO
05-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Did you pay the full $22 for a half day or did they give u a discount?

Greg Madrigal
05-17-2010, 07:15 PM
hey nice job there guys. I was the solo fisherman in the cc Striper right night to you. I beat the skunk with a single 1lb crappie trolling a deep diver shad crankbait. Skunked on the drop shot, so I'm glad to see u go tem. Nice feesh.

GM<><

ezcompany
05-17-2010, 08:52 PM
hey Greg I remember your boat, nice to meet you :) glad you beat the skunk! i heard the morning bite was pretty wfo, so i'm very happy to get this afternoon fish.