PDA

View Full Version : Dana Point Harbor Pier

smokehound
05-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Got up at 6:AM and headed to big fish tackle @ seal beach to pick up some ghosties.

Ended up at the point around 9:50 during the incoming tide, and casted out one C-rig. Minutes after, I hook into a nice bass, a really pretty spotty/calico hybrid that fought really hard, around 3 pounds.

Then I casted into the same spot again, and a nice eating-size sfc slammed the ghostie, and gave a very surprising fight. They look awesome when they get all golden and brassy.

(all from the pier, btw) Then the action on the dock died, so i headed to the deck, and casted from there.

Something kept sucking the guts out of the shrimp, leaving an empty husk, so, determined to nail the culprit in the act, i set the hook while the tip was just bouncing really gently, nailing a tough sargo, he almost got around the piling! Was really weird, since that was more of a croaker tap..

Then i cast out AGAIN, and a slightly larger croaker came to color. That thing was brutal. I brought him to the surface too quick while he was still full of strength, and he jumped high as hell, he almost threw the hook.

After that it was stingray city in there, and one slapped my shoe, puncturing it easily. How i avoided being stung is a total mystery to me, but It's safe to say im gonna be WAY more careful around those guys.

How ironic. The baby's beach is full of huge angry stingrays. LOL

The funny part was this one guy getting butthurt because i kept a spotty, and when he complained and tried to school me, I know he was just trying to be a good stewart(ess), but he didnt need to be such an ***.

I might head back out there again the day after tomorrow, so shoot me a PM if you decide to go, and I might see you there.

All fish kept. Will post pics of the post-mortem catch.

murrieta angler
05-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Good job getting all the fish Smokehound.
The fish are definately getting bigger as the water starts to warm up.
Thanks for the report,
Robert

flyngby
05-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Minutes after, I hook into a nice bass, a really pretty spotty/calico hybrid that fought really hard, around 3 pounds.

Not that I want to see post mortem pics but would love to see a pic of the Hybrid! A 3 pound harbor bass is a brute!

Steve

DockRat
05-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Nice mixed bag.
DR

smokehound
05-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Heck yeah, that thing was mean. I'm waiting for my bro to get home so he can take a good pic.

All i can get is the post-mortem.. there is ONE live pic of the bass, but i forgot to ask the nice gent that took the pic for an email.