PDA

View Full Version : Current High Sierra's Conditions?

stickin' it
05-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Anyone know the current conditions (as of Sun 5-16) around the Bishop Basin and higher up? What's still frozen and what's not?

Sierra_Smitty
05-16-2010, 05:55 PM
South Lake - road not plowed yet, lake frozen. Myself, another lodge owner and SCE are going to be engaging our county Supervisor to get the road open this week - so it should be open by this weekend if all goes well.

Sabrina - mostly frozen but there is quite a bit of open water from the dam to almost near the small natural lake. Water is rising but fairly slowly.

North Lake - not sure but I don't think the road is open. Haven't heard any reports from those hiking in. My guess is that its ice free or close to it by now.

Intake II - open water, no snow.

South Fork - very little snow up to the 9000ft level. Good access below that. Fishing has been good from what I've heard.

Middle Fork - open from Sabrina dam all the way down. No word on the bite.

All backcountry lakes are likely to be frozen or close to it.

If you can, try your best to keep these questions to the general board not the reports board. Thanks! :)

stickin' it
05-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the info and I will do like you said.

SierraPeaks
05-18-2010, 01:52 PM
All in all though, the fishing is still slow in the Eastern Sierras (I just got back last night from a 6 day trip) Crowley, Convict, the Loop (Mary and George still frozen with 5 feet of ice, Mamie about 3 feet) all need another month before things really pick up (and a new storm is due this week) It was a disappointing trip for me and I wish I would have waited. So I wouldn't be in too much of a rush if you only have one trip planned this year. Hang tight and wait for the fishing to heat up.

stickin' it
05-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the info. Went up there early Mon morn anyway. Sierra Smitty was dead on. Lakes still froze , roads not plowed, pretty much deserted up there too. Fished the creek below Sabrina for a bunch of fun messing with the small guys.

Went to Lundy in the PM. Evidently there has been dam work going on as it was lower than I've ever seen it. It was interesting to check out the structure that's normally underwater. Caught a couple of small ones on TBs and Lil Jakes lures. The wind was doing 20+ mph and cold.

The storm was a weird one. Mountain altitudes had light rain and sparse snow fluries, nothing down below.

Tues morn was perfect, sunny & clear with a light breeze. All the locals were smiling. Fished Rush before Grant and had a lot of fun
on flies that resembled salmon eggs. Went over to Convict on the way down (had to leave early for a family situation). The tubers were all around the outlet and looking like they were having fun getting the planters on flies.

For all the campers, better check before you head up for Memorial Day. It seemed to me, I saw more closed campgrounds and locked up bathrooms than ever before (except Nov). Isn't Memorial Day a couple weeks out?

If you head up there no matter what the conditions are, have fun! Isn't that what it's all about?

Thanks again for the info.

Koshaw
05-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Weather looks good though this week for Bishop and the surrounding environs. I am heading up tomorrow ;)

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Bishop&state=CA&site=VEF&textField1=37.3636&textField2=-118.394&e=0

SierraPeaks
05-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Well...the water temps did finally hit the 50 - 52 mark my last day there (Sunday the 16th) For the first 5 days the temps ranged from 46 to 48. So hopefully you'll have better luck than we did. FYI...if you're going to fish Convict, the trout are very deep...hanging out around 60 feet believe it or not...and deeper in some spots.

seal
05-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Weather looks good though this week for Bishop and the surrounding environs. I am heading up tomorrow ;)

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Bishop&state=CA&site=VEF&textField1=37.3636&textField2=-118.394&e=0

Sorry but if your talking about this weekend, Friday through Monday, weather not so good. System coming in starting late Friday, another colder wetter one coming in Sunday (snow), with wind all days.