PDA

View Full Version : Headed up to the Sierras.. Need some guidance

fishermandoITbetter
05-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks in advance for you reading and for any advice.
My father in law is taking me and the family up to Kennedy Meadows for a camping/fishing/4x4 trip. To most of you this doesnt sound like much but this will be my first time in that pristine country.. I am originally from West Texas, so for me a fishing hole is literally that a hole on some ranchers property that happens to have water in it... Not very exciting.... I have not had the privielege of learning to fly fish yet so I will be up there with some ultralight spinning gear.
So my questions to the experts are:
Any stand-out spots that we should hit before any others?
What are the go-to lures in that area? hardware? plastics?
I would prefer not to chuck bait but I will have my lil fishin partner with me and that could prove to be the hot ticket for her. worms? power bait? salmon eggs?

Most guys would be a little worried about his "gun toting" father in law taking up to the wilderness but to be honest I am more afraid that I will be so mesmorized by the beauty of that place that I will hike off into the sunset and never be seen again...

Again Thanks for reading and thank you for any helpful advice!!!

hrnytoad102
05-14-2010, 06:40 AM
first the bad news, they don't stock trout their, until the eir has been completed, but their are natives in the south fork of the kern, ya maybe want to walk a distance, up or down from the bridge. Fish creek has good natives in the past, around fish meadows. My favorite is monanche meadows, which is 4 wheel drive, I drive all the way to the roads end, at the campground, and walk up the south fork, the farther the better, and you will catch golden trout, the farther you hike, the bigger the fish. You can get all the info,and maps from the black rock ranger station, good luck, and ya might not want to leave, its defenitely pristine.

Sparky70
05-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Take the road just east of Kennedy Meadows store up to the campground, you can fish downriver for quite a distance. Use PB or Salmon eggs, let ur line drift and use very little weight.