PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Dam before work today 5/13/2010

fishinone
05-13-2010, 10:30 AM
I went by Castaic this morning first thing before work to throw my new Lunker Punker.

At first there was nothing happening then around 7:30 I started to see some movement.

I had a striper make a high speed pass on the lure.

Oh, it was so close!

A couple casts later the Lunker Punker was hit hard.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/May%2013th%20Striper%20from%20Dam/LittleDamStriper1-1.jpg
This little guy hit the middle hook and was stuck hard through the cartilage in his jaw.

I had another smaller striper on in that same spot a few minutes later but it came unbuttoned half way in.

It's hard to believe that these little striper hit a lure that size.

There were some bass on one of the ledges that looked but weren't interested.

More bass were halfheartedly chasing trout up in the corner of the dam and the boat ramp. I had some follow but no takers.

Now "Back to Work.".

KID-FISH
05-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Nice job landing the striper, guess that lure is gonna get a lot of work this year! Wait until the bigger ones get a hold of it. Must be nice to fish before work.

KID-FISH

Fishbones
05-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Congrats Ron, good job breaking in the new LP....way to slay....Nice!!!

TroutOnly
05-13-2010, 12:30 PM
GET BACK TO WORK AND LEAVE THOSE STRIPEYS ALONE,,,LOL,,,,I LIKE THAT LURE RON,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,HAVE TO TRY MINE SAT WHEN IM AT CASTAIC,,,,,,,,,,,

Swank909
05-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Great way to start the day, better than a cup of coffee :P

fishinone
05-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Nice job landing the striper, guess that lure is gonna get a lot of work this year! Wait until the bigger ones get a hold of it. Must be nice to fish before work.

KID-FISH

Thank you, for a second I thought this one was a big one. I think he was moving fast when he hit it, it made noise.

I'm looking forward to a big one.

Congrats Ron, good job breaking in the new LP....way to slay....Nice!!!

Hi fishbones,

Those Lunker Punkers make walking the dog really easy. I have a smaller one in trout color, it catches fish too.

GET BACK TO WORK AND LEAVE THOSE STRIPEYS ALONE,,,LOL,,,,I LIKE THAT LURE RON,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,HAVE TO TRY MINE SAT WHEN IM AT CASTAIC,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks T/O, I like it too. Especially after catching a fish on it. Do you have the ivory colored one? I figured that it would be good for striper and maybe not as good for bass. I can see it really well, it shows up great, even when it's under water.

Great way to start the day, better than a cup of coffee :P

I had a cup of coffee with me on the way to the lake. I drank it on the way from the lake to work.

kpn
05-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Nice way to start your "work" day Ron :Wink:. Nothing beat a top water catch! I can't wait for the boils start.......I have plenty of top water lures ready :LOL:.

KPN.

TroutOnly
05-13-2010, 01:20 PM
you better have them ready kpn ,im goping to make my customers bring there own kpns so we slay the proper way on the boils,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
05-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Nice way to start your "work" day Ron :Wink:. Nothing beat a top water catch! I can't wait for the boils start.......I have plenty of top water lures ready :LOL:.

KPN.

Top water is fun. I've had one of your 4" topwater plugs tied on and ready in the boat for couple a months. I want to be ready when the shad come up.

CAPT'N
05-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Nice going Ron,

what a way to start the day !

Congrats on the Punker Striper.........

Capt'n

fishinone
05-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Nice going Ron,

what a way to start the day !

Congrats on the Punker Striper.........

Capt'n

Thanks Scott,

That did start my day off right.

I still can't believe how big of a lure they will hit.

Zach1093
05-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Thats an awesome way to start the day off. Nice fish.

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-13-2010, 05:08 PM
way ta roll my fellow fishin finatic !

It almost brings a tear ta my eye.....

B4 work slay...nothing is better, you've been hangin out with the like of my style....saweet..

I LOVE IT !

Thats dedication to the craft if I ever saw it..

Congrats, I hope thats the 1st of may b4 work slays !
Gary

marzocchi
05-14-2010, 11:13 AM
I was there yesterday too. There a school of trout stuck in the corner of the of the dam and ramp. They either had to deal with the shore fisherman or the bass / stripers. Cycle of life.

fishinone
05-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Thats an awesome way to start the day off. Nice fish.

Thank you Zach. I was going to say well get out there, but cerritos is a little far.

way ta roll my fellow fishin finatic !

It almost brings a tear ta my eye.....

B4 work slay...nothing is better, you've been hangin out with the like of my style....saweet..

I LOVE IT !

Thats dedication to the craft if I ever saw it..

Congrats, I hope thats the 1st of may b4 work slays !
Gary

I'll be out there more B4, as things heat up. I've got my eye on one of those KPN Trout. Got any pointers on using it?

I was there yesterday too. There a school of trout stuck in the corner of the of the dam and ramp. They either had to deal with the shore fisherman or the bass / stripers. Cycle of life.

The bass were there messing with those trout when I was on my way in, but they weren't really serious about it. At least not right then.

I saw groups of trout way out the dam. They were staying pretty close to shore.

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-14-2010, 12:18 PM
I'll be out there more B4, as things heat up. I've got my eye on one of those KPN Trout. Got any pointers on using it?

Yes....FISH IT !
Ha ha ha

Fish it....and they will come !

20lb test

7' 11" swimbait rod

A good solid casting arm : )

Cast as far as you can (that sucka can cast like a torpedo through the air !)

Slow popping of the rod tip while a maintaining a constant slow steady retrive

Rod almost pointed at your right foot but raised about 1 1/2' - 2' from the water

Popping is done in this manner to obtain maximum action out of that lure

DO NOT WORK THE ROD WITH AN UPRIGHT ANGLE AS YOU MIGHT WITH A SPRO ETC.

You must be ready to ROCK at all times…..any deviation from pressure should be driven on INSTANTLY even if a blowup is not seen.

Sometimes I’ve had the striper sort of slurp up the lure without much surface disruption.

Sometimes (more often than not) – it’s a massive surface explosion !

Drive HARD

DRIVE Fast !

Hang on for the ride and be sure your drag is always set correctly, you don’t want to be caught trying to re-adjust your drag if you have a 30 lbder on

and trust me….you must think big….don’t always expect the next hookup to just be schoolie 6-8 lbders

They are there for the diligent angler determined to get the swimbait slay on…
The prize equals the effort and the amount of effort put into it….

Go get ‘em, I hope that helps even if just a little : )

Gary

P.S.
Here’s a pic of the Topwater KPN Trout (with some stank on it !)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/KPNtroutlure-closeup.jpg
and a simple shot (camera phone pic)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/kpntroutlure-pic.jpg

fishinone
05-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks Gary,

Sure it helps. I know your an ace at using them.

I can do all of that except provide the good solid casting arm : )

I guess I'll have to go with what I've got. I do OK on the quick trips. There's no way I can cast all day.

kpn
05-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Good tips Gary!

KPN.