PDA

View Full Version : Newport pier fishing

MACKERAL KING
05-13-2010, 09:42 AM
I go to newport pier every thursday night and right when i get there people are walking out with buckets of mackeral. Schools of mackeral swim by there so its a fun night for everyone. A great easy way to catch them is to use a light leadhead, a small glow stick, and maybe a couple of slip shots. Its so fun oh, and dont forget bait. They love makeral, squid, and chicken. Come on out!

murrieta angler
05-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the info Mack King.

Ooops, you might want to post in the rendezvous section for fishing hook-ups.

Later Bro,
Robert

Billy Bass
05-13-2010, 08:49 PM
It's been a while for me, but I think you just talked me into it. Newport pier here we come

Native Gal
05-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Hopefully I can make it out next week, thanks for the info.

NG

BrandonFish
05-13-2010, 11:37 PM
might just have to get me some catfish bait next time im out at nph Thanks

Swank909
05-13-2010, 11:51 PM
A small sized sabiki, 2oz pyramid sinker, and some tiny strips of squid and you are set to go! If your're feeling extra lazy toss a bell on your rod :P Remember to practice safe fishing, just keep what you're going to use. Mackeral from the peir arent good to eat, so just keep a few for bait.

Frenchy
05-13-2010, 11:57 PM
next wekk ill be out catching my bait

troutdog
05-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Just in time for kitty season....

TD

MACKERAL KING
05-14-2010, 12:20 PM
I went last night to newport pier and it wasn't too good. But my friend got a nice sized sculpin. They took squid the best.

fish
05-14-2010, 04:47 PM
A small sized sabiki, 2oz pyramid sinker, and some tiny strips of squid and you are set to go! If your're feeling extra lazy toss a bell on your rod :P Remember to practice safe fishing, just keep what you're going to use. Mackeral from the peir arent good to eat, so just keep a few for bait.

All of those Vietnamese grandmas disagree with you.

MACKERAL KING
05-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Lol, my mother-in-law is chinese and she expects me tobring at least 10 everytime i go

TaperSteve
05-25-2010, 08:26 AM
I was thinking about going sometime this week. What setup should I use? Line? Bait? I want to target Mackeral. Thanx for any info you can provide!

TaperSteve

E.A.R.G.
05-25-2010, 11:40 AM
mackerel ain't that special, or are they picky.
if you can put bait in front of their face you'll get it.

if they're biting in full force, a larger size sabiki rig with a 2oz weight at the end, on a heavier set up, say with at least 10 pound test, chuck it far out and reel in moderately fast with occasional jerks.
when mackerel are in full force this will yield a few mackerel every cast.

when they're not in full force, a fun way to catch them is lighter line, around 4lb test with a carolina rig with a split shot weight. this don't work too well if the pier is crowded cause mackerel will run sideways and pull 4lb drag if they're larger.

you could also use a huge foam ball bobber on top of a sabiki rig using a lighter weight and let it sit out there.

I usually fish for them at night off of redondo beach pier when I do. at night the best thing to do is use a glowstick as a bobber and fish with 2 or 3 hooks attached to the mainline under the bobber with as light of weight you can get away it. its cool to see the glowstick disappear under the water

Swank909
05-25-2010, 02:26 PM
PM sent Steve

TaperSteve
05-26-2010, 12:32 PM
I plan on going to either Newport Pier or Balboa Pier for Mackeral tomorrow night. Does anyone know what time the piers close? Is it better to fish for Mackeral before or after dark?

BrandonFish
05-26-2010, 12:36 PM
:ROFL:
PM sent Steve
didn't know mackeral was such a big secret :LOL:

Swank909
05-26-2010, 06:34 PM
:ROFL:
didn't know mackeral was such a big secret :LOL:

HAHAH i went into super detail lol, maybe even tip of the month worthy! jk

Steve they close at midnight I believe, I always do better in the morning than I do at night.

Slick Rick
06-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Anybody been lately? How's the Mack?

smokehound
06-19-2010, 08:01 PM
While they say they close at midnight, they dont usually kick you off til 1:00 am. The cops will drive through and tell everyone to kick rocks.

MACKERAL KING
07-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Well i haven't been lately. But i heard its awful. I got tired of just catching one type of fish so i found a new spot and now i catch a variety everytime i go.

cjmedina
07-09-2010, 08:32 PM
macs are fun to catch on a trout pole and 6lb line. even more fun when regular fishing is slow

smokehound
07-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Well i haven't been lately. But i heard its awful. I got tired of just catching one type of fish so i found a new spot and now i catch a variety everytime i go.Thats a common misconception, there are actually lots of different fish that frequent this pier. Ive caught legal calicos there. The problem is, as with any other highly fished spot, that the better fish that frequent the piers are way too smart to be caught "the old fashioned way".

when you hook a fish, and its released, or escapes, the fish learns to associate the bait you used with danger.

There are tons of opaleye that swim around this pier that are simply too smart to go for peas. Same with the pileperch. they usually just ignore the bait and continue picking the pilings for little creatures.

Mix it up a bit. Use baits you suspect the fish have never seen before. Go to an asian market and get some live clams,fresh-dead squid, anything that looks appetizing for fish.

Right now, the 99-ranch market near the anaheim plaza has baby octopus. Try em out.

Seņor.Chilax
07-13-2010, 03:32 PM
You're right Smokehound, I caught my first 2 yellow fin croakers at Newport pier just a few weeks ago. I've caught short sculpin there also. Just gotta mix it up. But mackerel's fun. I have a sibiki rig on a 5' rod with 4lb line, that's fun.