PDA

View Full Version : AV Duct Quickie

yolo
05-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Stopped by for an hour here in the AV before the commute. I took a week or so off to start to heal the elbow but wanted to test the waters with the spinning reel. I didn't even put the baitcaster in my car because I would have been tempted to use it and hinder any progress on my elbow. Had one hit working down flow with bait but could not hook it. I started using circle hooks because I release the catfish and was hoping to get lip hooks but even after letting it take it for like 6 seconds feeding it slack, I just reeled and it felt like the bait came right out of its stomach and mouth. Worked the flow down some more but nothing else.

I then tied on my lure for the walk back up flow to the car. About half way back I get a hit and set the hook with the light tackle set up I am using. There is no backbone in this set up for stripers plus with flow but I still manage to get it hooked and the fun is on. It was a great battle with both flow and light tackle on this striper. Was staying deep and running. Drag burning pole bending action. It was a steady run and not wild or aggressive. I land it and take a couple of quick pics and release it right away. Measured 23" and probably around 5 lbs. Was not very fat like I am accustomed to seeing out of here but not anemic either.

I work my way back to the car and nothing else hits. Get in and drive to my shop.

Conditions were calm (finally, it's been blowing pretty good the past few days), sunny, flow was pretty good but seemed to have slowed down some on my way back. I could see a set of gates in the distance when I was down flow before turning around and it looked like one was 5/8 up and the other was not up in the air but probably just cracked. Fish was caught in an open section of duct.

Here are some cell phone shots.
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%205-12-10/IMG00179.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%205-12-10/IMG00180.jpg

Bassnman Mike
05-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Great job Z!

fishinone
05-12-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm happy to see you catching fish. But!!! What about your elbow?

Is the spinning rod the cure? Does it relieve or minimize? Would a left handed casting rod work?

elevated
05-12-2010, 11:52 AM
yolo owns the duct...

yolo
05-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Yes the spinning rod is in the other hand and reeling with the hurting arm is no problem. Also a left hand retrieve baitcaster would be fine too but I don't want to spend the money on a decent reel and then have it just sit there in a couple of months when all is well. I hope all will be well by then.

Bassnman Mike
05-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Yes the spinning rod is in the other hand and reeling with the hurting arm is no problem. Also a left hand retrieve baitcaster would be fine too but I don't want to spend the money on a decent reel and then have it just sit there in a couple of months when all is well. I hope all will be well by then.

Hey Z, you could purchase the lefty, use it then give it to me, HA! Just kidding bud. Maybe I can lend you one the next time I'm down that way.

kpn
05-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Nice job Z. It've been over 2 weeks since I fish the AV's Duct. It's kind of slow right now.

KPN.

HaiTheMeister
05-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Nice! now this is the only time I'll say this but weren't you glad that it wasn't a double D striper? That could've put you back in the striper elbow pain again. LOL. Nice work!

Zach1093
05-12-2010, 03:56 PM
This is in Apple Valley right? Nice fish man! Hope that elbow heals up for yuh.

yolo
05-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey Z, you could purchase the lefty, use it then give it to me, HA! Just kidding bud. Maybe I can lend you one the next time I'm down that way.

If you have one to lend, I would consider that. Maybe even just to try it to see if I like it and then I could get my own?

Nice job Z. It've been over 2 weeks since I fish the AV's Duct. It's kind of slow right now.

KPN.

Thanks Khanh. Even though I didn't fish for some time, I know of fish being caught so it's not that slow, imo.

Nice! now this is the only time I'll say this but weren't you glad that it wasn't a double D striper? That could've put you back in the striper elbow pain again. LOL. Nice work!

Hai, I would have loved a DD because no pain in the right arm and that's why I'm using a spinning set up. Then again, I could get it in the right too and be really screwed, lol.

Bassnman Mike
05-12-2010, 04:53 PM
If you have one to lend, I would consider that. Maybe even just to try it to see if I like it and then I could get my own?

Z, I've got quite a few lefties so either way is fine by me. Who knows, you just might find that you prefer them.

yolo
05-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Mike, Thanks and that's very nice of you to offer. I will try it out and you never know, maybe I will like it? I just never worked a baitcaster with a left retrieve. Let me know when you're coming this way. I'll try to get you on some fish.

bassman909
06-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey Whats up? New to the site, i live in hesperia love to bass fish is their a good place to go for some stripers up here? can anyone help?

a321eric
06-09-2010, 10:21 PM
when you say AV aquaduct....are you referring to apple valley??? or what lol i always see it and i am so confused

yolo
06-10-2010, 04:30 AM
Antelope Valley

bassman909
06-10-2010, 10:23 AM
I live in Hesperia and do a lot of LMB fishing any good spots to fish the duct around this area?

yolo
06-10-2010, 04:09 PM
There are plenty of spots but there is no such thing as a "good spot". The fish can be anywhere. I would hit many spots that roads cross the duct and even get out and walk a mile or so in one direction and then back, working that stretch of water with various lures. Use google maps in satellite view and you will see all the roads that cross the duct. They have walk in fishing access at these locations.

trail blazer
06-11-2010, 09:11 AM
WTG YOLO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hope the arm heals soon for ya,,,,,great job on the striper

NooB SaBass
06-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Been looking for these Gates Haven't found em yet... Nice Catch though