PDA

View Full Version : Tube Suggestions for a Shortie Tuber :)

Tesserz
05-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I finally faced my fears and tried tubing for the first time at NPH and I had so much fun I'm now in the market for a tube of my own. :Envious: My trial run was on a Fish Cat 4 Deluxe but I kinda felt like it was a little big for me. I'm 5' 2" and although I liked that I was seated above the water, my legs weren't long enough to propel the tube very effectively. :LOL:

So, I'm looking for a U-shaped tube with the stability and durability of the Fish Cat, but maybe something designed for the shorter angler. Maybe anyone with wives or kids that tube can help me out? I was looking at the Togiak as a possible choice but not too sure. Any suggestions will help. Thanks so much!

Tess

Frenchy
05-11-2010, 10:26 PM
im short only 5 7 and the caddis nevada is great for us shorter people check the out not too expensive like 80 bucks

Fire Ball
05-11-2010, 10:31 PM
I have a Creek Company Original U-Boat and it is really nice for a u-shaped tube. You can get some really good deals on them on ebay too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280505172742
I think it would work out well for anyone, short or tall (or average like me, lol). It doesn't sit as high as a Fish Cat, so your legs will be in the water more, but it sits higher than a lot of other u-tubes.

I would basically say it is THE BEST u-tube out there. If you want some more pictures of it and how I set everything up, check out some of my reports.

Liteweight
05-11-2010, 11:30 PM
See if you can try out another float tube before deciding on a float tube. I used to fish from a Buck's Bullet and that model sat in the water. I have since bought a Watermaster (BigSkyInflatables.com) a PAC 800 and a Fat Cat, (which I bought an air seat for the Super Fat Cat). Being "in the water" as apposed to above the water creates more drag when kicking, therefore is much more exhausting in the wind whick is why I did less and less tubing until I changed...I don't miss my 'ol Bullet at all.
Just an observation and :My Two Cents: from a long time float tuber.
LW

kaiyasdad
05-20-2010, 12:02 AM
i actually prefer fishing in my good ole bucks bullet. i have fished in a bullet for the past 15 years or so. i decided to get a super fat cat as my dad has one but prefer fishing in the tube. it is easier to kick when it is calm but when the wind kicks up i think you get blown around more than a traditonal tube. how do you like the watermaster? my dad and i saw a guy in an orvis similar to the one you have. it looked pretty cool.

Liteweight
05-20-2010, 01:50 AM
I love my Watermaster, I've owned it since '97 and never touched my tube again (in fact I just recently cleared out my closet and sold it to one of the members here who also loves the Bullet).
I've found over the years, it's a matter of personal pereference. Since my friends like to "freeze tube" I've found it warmer than a traditional float tube since more of you is out of the water.
I primarily fly fish, so the added height off the water has its advantages. The original maker of the "Watermaster" has been producing a model labeled the "Water Strider". The primary difference is the inflateable seat (which acts as a third air chamber...required in some states now) as opposed to the varnished marine grade wood bench seat. It's now the one I recommend when someone asks about them (Probably my next inflateable when I retire the Watermaster).
Don't get me wrong, I've floated the Fall River in No. Cal.,the Delta, the Beverhead,the Smith, and the Madison in Montana with my Watermaster and have enjoyed every minute of it, but as with my Fat Cat which I equipped with the air seat from the Super Fat Cat, it is much more comfortable(over the course of the day or days on the water).
Because it sits higher in the water, it does get blown about easier, but you can equip it with an anchor system like a Kayak (actually that's where I got my idea from). I got a 3.5# folding anchor from "Hook 1" Kayak accessories and some braided 3/16" dacron rope.
Proabably the ONE biggest advantage is the oars. For those who have ever float tubed too far from your original launch point and had to kick back against the wind, you can't beat a pair of oars. I usually beat my friends back to the launch point and have everything broken down and packed by the time they get back. These also pack down very compactly(about the size of a large roll-on suitcase).
I would be more than happy to answer any questions I haven't already covered, just PM me.
LW.