PDA

View Full Version : How Safe is Cancun?

City Dad
05-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Has anyone been down to Cancun recently?

Been invited to a time-share down there. Wondering if it's smart to bring the wife and kids.

Gracias.

Frenchy
05-11-2010, 08:00 PM
cancun is fine its just the poverty strucken cities ou gotton worry about

murrieta angler
05-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Great place to take the family.
Lots for them to do while you fish, better yet, take them with you!
Have Fun,
Robert

City Dad
05-12-2010, 08:38 AM
thanks, fellahs. I love Mexico, but haven't been a loooong time. A friend of my wife's got her a bit worried - just wanted to put her mind at ease.

So, anyone ever fished over there?

murrieta angler
05-12-2010, 08:59 AM
thanks, fellahs. I love Mexico, but haven't been a loooong time. A friend of my wife's got her a bit worried - just wanted to put her mind at ease.

So, anyone ever fished over there?

Dorados Galore!
I took a small panga out, by myself, and pulled in 16 DoDo's in just 2 hours. It was supposed to be a 5 hour trip, for $150, and I called it cause my arms were tired.
Let your wife no that all the violance down in Mex is over by the Texas border towns and not the tourist cities.
Have Fun!

DarkShadow
05-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Stay away from Los Zetas and you'll be fine.

sansou
05-12-2010, 09:48 AM
CD,

My parents have a neighbor friend who timeshares there. As an addict of the long rod he raves about the tarpon/snook in the mangroves. As far as big game, I know that Cancun doesn't rank all that well for offshore b/c of the distance to the shelf. Plenty of standard dorado and what not, but not really a "big game" destination per se. Regardless, I figure you would rather tie on a fly than flyline, so this may the next best thing to Balboa Lake!

CL SmooV
05-12-2010, 09:53 AM
I was there last summer. Had a damn good time. You and the fam will be safe. Fished the shelf for 3 hours and caught plenty of dorado. You will have a nice time guranteed. And oh, dont gorget to take pictures with the iguanas before you hit the water.

Smoov

Swank909
05-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Cancun is fine. Just stick to the tourist areas and beaches, they take care of the tourists. Just make sure you're in places you have to pay in dollars not pesos :P

City Dad
05-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Muchas Gracias again.

What's the deal with the pangas, do they have rental gear?

Mas information es me gusto!

deanhall32
05-12-2010, 04:52 PM
We went to Cancun last August and had a blast! Got treated really well and stayed in a place right in the middle of the other hotels that was all-inclusive which included all food, drinks. and a topless beach! There were every kinds of boobs there that I didn't even find time to go fishing! Have a great time!

murrieta angler
05-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Muchas Gracias again.

What's the deal with the pangas, do they have rental gear?

Sorry, I meant by myself with the boat operator. They provided the rods and reels.
I just headed down to the docks and asked around. Some dude said, talk to so and so, and I was fishing within an hour.

DockRat
05-12-2010, 05:46 PM

Do guys get checked for fishing license's there ?

You can get your Mexico fishing license at some So Cal tackle shops.
It is good for 1 year from the day you buy it. $48 ?
Then you will be ready for SD/Baja tuna and exotics on the way :Cool:
DR

All Bent 360
05-12-2010, 07:02 PM
My grandparents got a house in cancun and ensenada!! Heading out a week after i get back from the sierra's!!! Its a great place for u and ur family theres so many things you can doooo and u can get them hooked up on some prime fishin!!

CAPT'N
05-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Towards Play Del Carmen there is great bone fishing. If you check some of the Cancun/Play Del Carmen sites you will find Fly Fishing guides.

As far as safe, just wear a condom.

JSAUCE818
05-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Stay away from Los Zetas and you'll be fine.
THEY DONT MESS AROUND....did you see what they did to that girls body, then put on a note on her prettymuch saying "this is what happends if you mess with us?"

Thanks for this thread CD,
im planning on going on myself so i can use some of this helpful info. Now that this topic is up,...Where do you guys reccomend to stay???(hotels,etc) exlusive packages and so on.

DAF0311
05-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Cancun is great! I've been there twice. I chartered a boat with my uncle and lil brother and it was by far the best fishing I have ever done! Caught too many nice fat tunas and my uncle even pulled in a 7 foot sailfish! Great time! The tourist spots by all of the hotels are safe. It's the inner city that's a little sketchy. Had an awesome time both times! =D Can't wait to go back! I need to save up. There are tons of 4 star hotels along the strip. The Hotel Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach is the best hotel out there. Have fun! I'm jealoous =P