PDA

View Full Version : 5/11 Santa Ana Lake Fishing Report

Legacyz
05-11-2010, 04:15 PM
First Fishing Report....hope you guys like it, any tips would be appreciated.

After going to Irvine lake for their 1/2 price yesterday, I was feeling very unsatisfied. Asked my roommate if he wanted to go check out Santa Ana Lake and before you know it, we were off. We left the house about 11:00 AM. (Yea...it was pretty late already) and after getting food, we arrived at about 12:00 PM.

There was actually a lot of people there, there was at least 6 group of people where we decided to fish (toward the opposite side of the boating dock) and no one was having any luck. The weather today was fairly warm but not as hot as the other times I went to SAL.

Decided to try some inflated Night Crawlers while my roommate was using some power-bait. After 10 minutes casting it off my line jumped and I got a bite! I was really happy considering this is the first fish I ever caught in Santa Ana. My roommate decided to video tape it with the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHJ64YJMYLo

It was a bit small so I released it back into the lake. Stayed there until 3 but didn't get a bite after that. I saw someone fighting at least a 10LB from the other side of the shore, his friend dove in after it but the line finally snapped after 10 mins of fighting it. Anyways, I hope everyone else is having better luck there!

Prowler_Tuber
05-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Congrats on your first SARL fish

Eat Sleep Fish
05-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Atleast no skunk. this time of year, unless they're really stocking heavy, a lot of the trout start to die off or just simply don't have much of an appetite.

Legacyz
05-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Yea..that's what they were telling me at the front, I think its the last week they're stocking trout before they start stocking Catfish...wish I could have caught more though. Thanks for the support =D

smken59
05-12-2010, 09:19 AM
yes they are going to start stocking the kittys on may 20th
going to try and be there for that

Fisherman57
05-12-2010, 01:37 PM
First Fishing Report....hope you guys like it, any tips would be appreciated.

After going to Irvine lake for their 1/2 price yesterday, I was feeling very unsatisfied. Asked my roommate if he wanted to go check out Santa Ana Lake and before you know it, we were off. We left the house about 11:00 AM. (Yea...it was pretty late already) and after getting food, we arrived at about 12:00 PM.

There was actually a lot of people there, there was at least 6 group of people where we decided to fish (toward the opposite side of the boating dock) and no one was having any luck. The weather today was fairly warm but not as hot as the other times I went to SAL.

Decided to try some inflated Night Crawlers while my roommate was using some power-bait. After 10 minutes casting it off my line jumped and I got a bite! I was really happy considering this is the first fish I ever caught in Santa Ana. My roommate decided to video tape it with the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHJ64YJMYLo

It was a bit small so I released it back into the lake. Stayed there until 3 but didn't get a bite after that. I saw someone fighting at least a 10LB from the other side of the shore, his friend dove in after it but the line finally snapped after 10 mins of fighting it. Anyways, I hope everyone else is having better luck there!

Congrats! Thanks for the report and keep them coming!
Welcome to the board!

yes they are going to start stocking the kittys on may 20th
going to try and be there for that

Actually, there will be NO trout stocking this week at SARL, water is too warm and temps are still rising.......

HOWEVER, TEAM 57 has arranged for an early stocking of catfish & tilapia just in time for our event this saturday night!

Hope to see you all there!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?44687-UPDATED-5-12-SARL-TEAM-57-EXCLUSIVE-24hr-EVENT!

Legacyz
05-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the response. Going to try Irvine Lake this weekend, any tips would be appreciated =D

Poxy Boggards
05-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the response. Going to try Irvine Lake this weekend, any tips would be appreciated =D

Fish for Bass, Crappie and Cats... That's my only advise...LOL

Legacyz
05-15-2010, 06:22 PM
LOL.....wanted to catch a nice size trout before it gets too hot too...o wellz. Ty for the tips =D