PDA

View Full Version : braid or dacron?

hologramSAM
05-11-2010, 03:35 PM
hI guys 1st post here. Well its time to replace the line on my jigmaster and was thinking of putting on braid and someone said to put dacron. whats the diffrence?

bsp
05-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Braid is kind of like the evolution of dacron. Both dacron and braid are more sensitive than mono, but braid is a thinner diameter for the same rated breaking strength. Plus, it doesn't get as waterlogged as some of the older dacron lines do according to some of the older dudes I listened to when I started fishing party boats. I've never used it because it seems to me like an obsolete technology now that braid exists, but I'm sure some other guys will chime in with their experiences.

I have used braid though, and really like it aside from the price. Less stretch means more sensitivity and you can winch fish away from cover easily. Not sure about using it on a stock jigmaster though since they were designed for mono. Upgrade the gear sleeve to a stainless steel one if you do decide to run braid. I've also read about some problems with braid getting stuck between the spool and frame. Just some things to be aware of.

hologramSAM
05-11-2010, 04:43 PM
My buddy's were saying the jigmaster would be perfect to use with braid because of the amount mono it hold's and can hold more braid.Now that I tHink of it I have fished more then them,what do they no.haha.
What's good brand braid?Is spider wire any good?

bsp
05-11-2010, 05:39 PM
A lot of guys use braid because it means they can use smaller reels for bigger fish, like with Accurates and Avets. Jigmasters really aren't ideal because they aren't meant to handle the higher drag pressures you will use with braid. Running straight 25lb mono the stock drags and gear sleeve are fine as they are meant to handle 8lbs of drag at most, but if you are serious about running braid you need to upgrade both. For saltwater, stick with Izorline, Jerry Brown, or Power Pro braids. Most tackle shops will carry one of them and they'll work well if you've never used braid before.