PDA

View Full Version : Flatheads are Biting

Mr Jaws and Catfish
05-11-2010, 02:34 PM
My friend and I went to Palo Verde this weekend for some flathead fishing. I was skunked but he managed to haul in about 6, ranging between 6 and 12 pounds. On Sunday, it became real windy so we decided to head home, but do some recon in the IV along the way. Well, we had no clue where we were, so we just decided to post up on some random spot we found on the Alamo River.

Well, I guess the fishing gods were watching us because we hauled in 7 fish in one night, ranging between 6 and 25 pounds. Three of the fish were caught during daylight hours. The bite stopped at roughly 10 PM for some reason (crushing our hopes of a really big fish), and one fish was caught at about 7:30 AM the next morning.

You can definitely see the color difference between the Palo Verde and Alamo River flathead.

Good luck in the tournie!

12 pounder from Palo Verde (looks ginormous for some reason):

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4042/4599302242_85e8b2b8ac.jpg

25 pounder from Alamo River(dosen't look so big for some reason):

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4598627741_0f56df0efc.jpg

bluehunter
05-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Good to go on the catch. If you can come thru next weekend do so there will be quite a bit of flathead hunters out there with all kinds of knowledge on the Alamo and other local waters. Lots of big flats caught last year. Should be no different this year. The Alamo is highly underrated but has some of the biggest flats around that bite with more consistancy than the palo Verde even. Some been caught up to the 60's and low 70's there. I am sure there is possibly even a state record roaming around in there some where. The muddy Mo is no joke. : )

Eat Sleep Fish
05-11-2010, 04:50 PM
some heftly catches. congrats.

AQUABOOGIE AKA MADDFISHIN
05-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Way 2 hang in there!!! Sometimes u just have to move 2 the fish!!! Awsome catches!!!

Katnip
05-11-2010, 10:05 PM
You see his arms are extended dude I told you . Photos can be deceiving but as much as I 'd like it to that scale don't lie . You guys killed it on an exploratory , great job!

Mr Jaws and Catfish
05-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Lie about what Katnip?

Katnip
05-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Lie about what Katnip?

Not you or the scale just the way there held . I've had to down scale my p.b. after further reveiw. Photos are relitive to the size of the person. Some of those P.V. flats are long and skinny , next time I see you I'll show you some pics I got before when I was still using disposible. Trust me I know if you say what it weighs then that's what it weighs. I'm sorry if by some way you thought I was saying you were big eyeing it nothing could be further from the truth.

gavin310
05-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Not you or the scale just the way there held . I've had to down scale my p.b. after further reveiw. Photos are relitive to the size of the person. Some of those P.V. flats are long and skinny , next time I see you I'll show you some pics I got before when I was still using disposible. Trust me I know if you say what it weighs then that's what it weighs. I'm sorry if by some way you thought I was saying you were big eyeing it nothing could be further from the truth.

We had our 65# scale out there so the weights are accurate, but yeah the extended arms really throw off the references points.

scca
05-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Nice job out there Jaws/G man !!!