PDA

View Full Version : New to Eastern Sierra fishing--any recommendation for spots on Lee Vining Creek?

Robin B
05-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Hello, all--LOVE this board!

I'm a (mostly) newbie trout fisher-person, and I spend a lot of time in the Eastern Sierras doing photography. Since the trout fishing is so great there, I've started doing a little of that, too, and love it. Looks like we'll be staying at the Lower Lee Vining campground this weekend--I'm familiar with the canyon from photographing aspens there, but not sure at all about which parts of the creek are best for fishing. Can anyone offer any good spots? Thanks!

Robin

Big Country
05-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Focus on the campground areas as this is where the fish are usually stocked or drive 10 minutes back down the 395 to the June Loop and fish Rush Creek between Grant and Silver...15 minute drive from Lee Vining.

Robin B
05-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Focus on the campground areas as this is where the fish are usually stocked or drive 10 minutes back down the 395 to the June Loop and fish Rush Creek between Grant and Silver...15 minute drive from Lee Vining.

Thanks, Big Country! That's easy enough. We'd planned to try to hit the loop, as well as Convict Lake, too--hopefully we'll have some luck in at least one of those places.

Big Country
05-11-2010, 05:09 PM
You'll do fine in all those spots...good luck and pick up your trash

rotto84
05-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Fish the campsite areas and you should have good luck. Take the side road (with the campsites) all the way to the end, near the old power station, then turn back. On your right (about a quarter mile) the stream goes under the road. On the right is a big pool, usually full of trout.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Robin B
05-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Fish the campsite areas and you should have good luck. Take the side road (with the campsites) all the way to the end, near the old power station, then turn back. On your right (about a quarter mile) the stream goes under the road. On the right is a big pool, usually full of trout.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

That ought to be pretty easy to find--thanks for the specific directions! If we have good luck, I'll get some pics and post a report when we get back.

SierraPeaks
05-22-2010, 07:36 AM
If you're going to Convict, also try fishing Convict Creek at the outlet and a few miles south, hit McGee Creek where it crosses 395.
Both excellent creeks that hold some really nice trout.