View Full Version : DFG EPA Updates ' Do Not Eat List '

DockRat
05-10-2010, 07:47 PM
No Longer White Croaker Only !

Barred Sand Bass,
Topsmelt,
Barracuda
Black Croaker.

Also Calico Bass, Rockfish, Halibut 1 serving a week and other fish on the chart.

Go to the below website for the ' Safe Level' charts and maps.

http://www.oehha.ca.gov/fish/so_cal/socal061709.html

Below info taken from The Daily Breeze article 5/10/10

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_15050144?IADID=Search-www.dailybreeze.com-www.dailybreeze.com

Safe Eating Guidelines for women over 45 years and men over 17 years

Possible RED FLAG Below ? DR ?
Now a coalition of nonprofit and environmental groups, along with local, state and federal agencies, is embarking on a new program to ensure anglers know which fish to throw back into the sea.

In their advisory, state officials said scientific analysis showed those species were - like white croaker - contaminated with DDT, mercury or a group of toxic chemicals called PCBs.

Most of the do-not-consume fish are fairly cheap and undesirable to sport fishers. But those catching barracuda and barred sand bass may need warnings, officials said.

The new advisory expanded the "red zone" where fish were unsafe to eat from an area around the Palos Verdes Peninsula to a broader region stretching from Santa Monica Pier to Seal Beach Pier. It added guidelines for some 20 fish, stating how often they could be consumed by sensitive groups - children and women ages 18 to 45 - and by others. It called for consumers to eat only skinless filets of fish.

No More ! :Angry:
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv289/mitsu124/bmanfish.jpg

It is also in the new 2010 2011 DFG Rules and regulation booklet.

If you have a wife or daughter be sure to read the female charts.

What now ? No More Sand Bass, Cudas ? :Angry:
Any of you don't care and eat what you want ?
Changing your fish eating habits ?
Inquiring Minds Want To Know. :Idea:

DR

murrieta angler
05-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Is that local fish only?
I just ate a bunch of sand dabs from the rockpile, although they are not on the list, and they were delicious!
Robert

smokehound
05-11-2010, 02:07 PM
I wipe my *** with their list.

they STILL dont list sargo.

They're liars. Sargo should be the greatest risk of em all due to bay mussels being their staple food.

tpfishnfool
05-11-2010, 02:24 PM
What about Lizard fish ? Can we all eat Lizard fish ?

LOL

DockRat
05-11-2010, 08:48 PM
I wipe my *** with their list.

they STILL dont list sargo.

They're liars. Sargo should be the greatest risk of em all due to bay mussels being their staple food.

Sargo are on the charts at one serving a week.

Check out the complete list of fish on the charts.

Is that local fish only?
I just ate a bunch of sand dabs from the rockpile, although they are not on the list, and they were delicious!
Robert

I have eaten Sand Dabs off Pt Fermin @ 175' right at the DDT zone. :Rolls Eyes:
DR

DarkShadow
05-11-2010, 08:59 PM
That's why I stick to mackerel.

thedeadone
05-11-2010, 09:13 PM
you know -- the "list" sure would be a good way to get people to stop fishing for certan types of fish-or at the least get people to through there fish back in.I have always wondered who the scientists that do these studies are working for. Is there something else going on here.

sansou
05-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Anyone remember how much crap I used to get from "Headhunter" & "Lokey" and the gang, when I used to post the
fishing consumption advisories for the Palo Verde area?

DDT? What is that?

ha ha!

Hometown
05-11-2010, 09:51 PM
wow barracuda they are migratory fish how does the ddt put them on the list and i wonder what research has been done and what locations

Ifishtoolittle
05-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Eh, why this thing even matter people will take one look at the damn facts and ignore them only to gorge themselves to death on these polluted fish. I say let people learn the hard way it will be a great way to reduce poaching. I tell people all the time when I hit LBH and see bucketfulls of YFCs yet no one listens.

Bradakas
05-12-2010, 10:45 AM
and a serving equals to how many ounces?

dockboy
05-14-2010, 01:02 AM
Serving sizes are generally rated in ounces, i.e. 4-6oz of fish. I would not know the exact ratings, I do know it can change depending on the fish. In mercury content in particular, the larger and more predatory a fish is, typically the higher its mercury content.
Sandies eat a lot of crustaceans and mollusks, which absorb much of the pollutants (DDT, PCBs, untreated sewage, heavy metal toxins) dumped in the water after it settles to the bottom sediment. Barries have a diet heavily dependent on small finfish like anchovies, sardines, and smelt. Mercury accumulation increases two fold with each jump up the food chain, so as more sardines and chovies that are high in mercury are consumed by the predator fish, the higher accumulation of mercury in the consuming fish. While mercury does not typically affect the top level predator fish, whatever consumes those top level fish are consuming the most mercury. Mammals in particular are suspectible to mercury poisioning.
You dont have to follow these guidelines of consumption. The list is a warning, not a rule. You can eat as many sandies you want from PV, and nobody could tell you otherwise, as long as you are fishing within legal limits. Then again, you could throw them back and keep your limit elsewhere too, and perhaps not even break a sweat about contamination. But then again, to each his own :Rolls Eyes:

smokehound
05-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Eh, why this thing even matter people will take one look at the damn facts and ignore them only to gorge themselves to death on these polluted fish. I say let people learn the hard way it will be a great way to reduce poaching. I tell people all the time when I hit LBH and see bucketfulls of YFCs yet no one listens.

Ive been eating croakers for years, and I have yet to exhibit any zany mercury giggle-fits.

Just some common sense is all you need. While croaker are known to follow warm water, this doesnt mean they will get stuck to sewage-outlets like an impound-lot magnet..

In fact, many croakers have different feeding habits. Some will stay in the surf zone almost their entire life, eating nothing but baby fish.

the red list is bull. Its funded by the same freaks that just screwed us all.

But hey, we like our security. Our liberties mean nothing! :LOL:

ghetto dad
05-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Yet..another wonderful blow to the sportfishing industry....i give it 5-10 years...there wont be an industry left...sad...

Im sure, at minimum, the migratories are fine....

GD

mrjonez
05-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Anyone remember how much crap I used to get from "Headhunter" & "Lokey" and the gang, when I used to post the
fishing consumption advisories for the Palo Verde area?

oh, those where the days.

viperman100
05-21-2010, 05:13 PM

why does eating fish suddenly mean that person had to be poaching to catch it. The list is not a law but a warning. I'm sure unknowningly we have all had our share of toxic chemicles. LOL do you know what Cheetos are made of? if you did you would agree they belong on the top of the red list.

Zach1093
05-22-2010, 01:24 AM
Fry it up and give me some tarter sauce. I don't plan on livin past 40 anyway.

Ifishtoolittle
05-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Ive been eating croakers for years, and I have yet to exhibit any zany mercury giggle-fits.

Just some common sense is all you need. While croaker are known to follow warm water, this doesnt mean they will get stuck to sewage-outlets like an impound-lot magnet..

In fact, many croakers have different feeding habits. Some will stay in the surf zone almost their entire life, eating nothing but baby fish.

the red list is bull. Its funded by the same freaks that just screwed us all.

But hey, we like our security. Our liberties mean nothing! :LOL:

True that.

Ifishtoolittle
05-23-2010, 10:43 PM
why does eating fish suddenly mean that person had to be poaching to catch it. The list is not a law but a warning. I'm sure unknowningly we have all had our share of toxic chemicles. LOL do you know what Cheetos are made of? if you did you would agree they belong on the top of the red list.

Well this is how I see it this list of fish contaminated with toxic chemicals is indeed a warning list to watch out for what we eat, but people who regularly catch these contaminated fish will more then likely look at this list and just ignore its facts. Basically I saw this as a way to reduce the take on fish. I mean come on doesn't it irritate you when a person takes a ridiculous amount of your favorite sportfish home for dinner.

BishopTrouter
06-30-2010, 10:42 PM
i know this thread is a bit old but i was wondering-- whats the difference b/t JACKsmelt and TOPsmelt? they look pretty damn similar to me and ive been catching smelt for a long, long time..

adriiiian
06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
i say eat w.e the .... u want

Which Way Out
07-01-2010, 07:44 AM
you know -- the "list" sure would be a good way to get people to stop fishing for certan types of fish-or at the least get people to through there fish back in.I have always wondered who the scientists that do these studies are working for. Is there something else going on here.

AMEN on that. Damn how much fish do we eat anyway? Its not like I eat it everyday all day. I try to mix it up with the other foods they advise not to eat.

smokehound
07-01-2010, 12:18 PM
i know this thread is a bit old but i was wondering-- whats the difference b/t JACKsmelt and TOPsmelt? they look pretty damn similar to me and ive been catching smelt for a long, long time..the main difference is fin-ray counts.

They would make some badass aquarium fish. I bet a jacksmelt would acclimate quite fast.