PDA

View Full Version : Fun at the Madness

See Chris Fish
05-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Hoping to get off work at 3pm. Get the ok and am stoked. My wife calls at 1:23. The dog, German Shepherd, got sick in her crate and I was allowed to head out then. I'm sure they were thinking, yeah right. If only they knew!
Got all THAT cleaned up. Packed up, kissed the wife goodbye and headed to the Vine.

Got to the tackle shop and said hi to all the staff. As always, friendly and with current knowlegde of the lake conditions. Thanks, Jimmy, for the advice. Trolling was most definately the way to go.

Found my buddies, John and Dave, all set up at the campsite. Cracked a beer and let the BS begin!
We're just talking and scoping out the lake conditions when three guys walk by with their "goodie" bag. We forgot that you can do the early check in. We grab our paperwork, a beer and walk over to the check in.
The booth is set up at the gate. Say hi to Hatch and we get our passes and the "bag".

Now that was a goodie bag. I've had ones where it like last years items or the stuff that no one bought or not species targeted.
Not this one. Proper size hooks and weights, correct size lures and line, etc. All new and current items that I will be using. New PB flavor, too!

Get back to camp and start getting the fire going. We get visits from Team 57 members Sue, Bruce Watson, and Frenchy. Bruce is such a great guy. He freely give us advice on downrigging and techniques. Love the "poor man rigger" idea!!!

It starts to get close to sunset, so let the campfire begin. My buddy Dave has some dead trees on some land that he has, so he bring wood. Dave, CAMPFIRE, not BONFIRE, dude!!!! This guy just cracks us up all night by "adding" logs all night.
Cook up some hot dogs, cheesey brauts, and regular brauts. Good food and good friends.
Lake staff friends, Jimmy and David, stop by. We pry "secret" info from them with offers of hot food!! LOL
John, Dave, and I discuss what the plan will be in the morning, bait or troll. No final decision made.

Wake up early and head out to the tackle shop for a BB and finish the paperwork on the boat rental.
Weather is clear, slight clouds but cool with a light breeze. PERFECT!!
We motor out and park to soak some bait. I'm not seeing anything on my portable fishfinder, so I "request" we swithch to trolling. I LOVE trolling. John, not so much.

It's just about time for the sun to peak over the mountains and we get all set up and ready to troll. It's a little challenging to troll with 3 guys in those little rentals. We get going and I want to loop thru the boat dock area, so I swing towards trout island to head back in. BAM!!!! My pole goes bendo and I'm pulling it in. Nice 3.7 lbs. This fish INHALED this lure!!! Took us a while to get it out. Start out again and make the same loop with nothing. Decide to aim to the dam and use west shore as the route. Get about half way down and my pole got nailed big time. I'm fighting this thing and it ain't giving up. Nice battle, lots of runs and head shakes. Get it landed and it's a 4.5 lbs with a full tail and fantastic colors!!

Bite really slowed down. I get one more on the troll. John was able to only land one trout. We metered a school of fish really shallow in deep water and set up. He dropped his line in the water and was hooked up before he could put it down to grab another rod. We didn't weigh it, but it looked like a 2.5 lber.
Dave pulled the WTF fish catch. At the same spot that John caught his fish, Dave gets his fish. Now we're in 60 feet of water and the fish are registering at 12-18 feet. He throws a nightcrawler on and set it to go down maybe 7-10 feet. BAM!!! His pole goes big time bendo! His drag is just screaming. He fights it for a good 10 minutes and we land it. It's a CATFISH!! At 10 feet of water!! Never heard of that before. We laugh and joke, at least you beat the skunk.

We just start saying to each other that we hadn't seen Bruce and Cindy the whole day. We get a glimpse of them on the other side of the lake. Too far to say hi. We look the other way and see Big Daddy coming towards us. He having some issues with the equipment on the boat while fish on, but we still say hi and throw some encouragement his way. He already has fish on the stringer using that fishing machine he's created.
He did say later that he hooked into a Daiwa rod and reel combo on the lake, in the water!!

Bite shut down at about noon. We didn't catch anything else the rest of the day. We tried more trolling, bait and wait, jigging, in-line spinners.
I go to weigh in and hear that the biggest is only a 6.5 lber. Hey I might be in the running here. I end up with a 3rd place finish. Got a big load of stuff. Neatest were these personalized lures by Cooks Hooks.

The tournament was just awesome. Cash prizes, lots of rods, reels, tackle bags, etc. Someone got three tagged fish!! Can't wait till next year on this. Sponsers and tournament staff went all out on this one. Lots of fun.

The best part was actually when the tourney was all over. A kid won the grand prize of a week on a houseboat. He is coming back to where his chairs were and I hear him saying to his dad, "Bass, trout, wipers, .....it's ALL on me dad, it's ALL on me!!" Me and my buddies just start cracking up and head back to the trucks.

A great day spent on the water enjoying the MADNESS!!

Big Daddy
05-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Chris Congats on killing a nice fish:Dancing Banana:. It was really nice seeing you guys on the water and congrats again my friend on 3rd place you deserve it. It is so nice trolling around and seeing good friends on the water enjoying others company and just saying hi and hoping for the best for them. Great report. It was a "GREAT TOURNEY" This is how they are supposed to be done top Notch all the way no Pulling wool over anyones eyes. no drama just staight forward perfect from moment 1. Masive prizes for most and smiles, fun and just a great time for "EVERYONE".

Thanks Irvine Lake you guy's did a great job. Thanks for having this last trout tournament to basiclly close out the trout season(I know now it's cat fish season) it has been really a great year. Thanks Jimmy and everyone else for all you do to keep things moving and running smoothly.

Hutch and crew you really did a super job. I don't fish many tournaments but this is one that me, my son's and my grand son's will make a family tradition.:Applause: Well done.

Chris Congrats again you fish killing Machine.

Big Daddy

bruce watson
05-09-2010, 03:32 PM
It was nice seeing you guys down at the lake. I decided that I was going to fish the Madness on Friday. So I loaded up the boat, threw some food and a sleeping bag in the truck and got to the lake about 4:30 Friday evening. I was first in line. I paid my entry fee and got number 106. I think they ended up with about 150 fishermen.

A little later Sue showed up. When she found out that OFG Chris didn't want to fish this one, she asked if she could have my extra seat. We both knew this would involve a day full of sexual harrassment, cheap meaningless propositions, and old fishing stories, but, I can take care of myself, so I said sure, come on aboard. Dang, she was a proper lady all day.

The fishing was unbelieveable all day. Sue started with the first trout about 10 minutes into our first troll. I got the next one. This one was tagged and I got a $300 gift card from Maui Jim sunglasses. I'm not going to tell every thing because Sue has the pics and I'm sure she wants to do the post. However I did catch a bluegill, crappie, largemouth, wipers, trout with tags and trout without. We even had a triple hook-up of wipers at one time.

Native Gal
05-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Congrats on the third place finish.

NG

rockbald
05-09-2010, 11:03 PM
I caught my first tagged fish . Won me a tackle package. Best thing in it was your book. Congrats on youre third place.

Sue
05-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Had a great time, and I'll get my post & pics up tomorrow as I've been away all week. Chris, well done on the 3rd place finish!

olfishergal
05-13-2010, 11:22 PM
It was nice seeing you guys down at the lake. I decided that I was going to fish the Madness on Friday. So I loaded up the boat, threw some food and a sleeping bag in the truck and got to the lake about 4:30 Friday evening. I was first in line. I paid my entry fee and got number 106. I think they ended up with about 150 fishermen.

A little later Sue showed up. When she found out that OFG Chris didn't want to fish this one, she asked if she could have my extra seat. We both knew this would involve a day full of sexual harrassment, cheap meaningless propositions, and old fishing stories, but, I can take care of myself, so I said sure, come on aboard. Dang, she was a proper lady all day.

The fishing was unbelieveable all day. Sue started with the first trout about 10 minutes into our first troll. I got the next one. This one was tagged and I got a $300 gift card from Maui Jim sunglasses. I'm not going to tell every thing because Sue has the pics and I'm sure she wants to do the post. However I did catch a bluegill, crappie, largemouth, wipers, trout with tags and trout without. We even had a triple hook-up of wipers at one time.

Oh no don't get me wrong, I had another committment and couldn't possibly be in two places at once Unfortunately the other one had priority...Glad you had a good time and caught some fish........Time for the weekend drifts, wind is laying down...