PDA

View Full Version : The Rockpile....

murrieta angler
05-08-2010, 07:36 AM
more like pile of - - - - !

The weather was cloudy in the morning with sunshine all afternoon. The swells were 2-3 feet every 12-13 seconds, so it seemed, and very little wind.
Was on the water at 5:30 and I went out by myself. I had posted in the rendezvous and P.M.'d a few people but no one was able to make it.
Got to the rockpile at 6:45 with huge sardines and some macks mixed in. I turned on my fishfinder and it says low voltage...:Shocked: I forgot to charge it the night before! No biggie didn't need it since there were a few other private boaters out there as well.
Was getting some small starries, vermillions and barracuda ( mid grade ). I was targeting YT.
The cattle boats showed up around 9:ish and they weren't getting any YT's either.

It was a slow day on the water and I ended up keeping 13 decent sized sand dabs for dinner tonight..I need a recipe please?!
Got back to the house around 6:20, flushed the engines, rinsed the boat and I will clean it today.
After I came inside I checked the fishing reports and saw the the half day P.M. boats did well with about 40-50 YT's.....:mad: OH WELL, whatta ya do!

Take Care All & God Bless Everyone,
Robert

webmaster
05-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Bummer on the no YT. You'll get them next time! I saw your rendezvous post and was hoping your were going to get them. That area is ready to go off again any time now....

Those 1/2 day yellows were caught at La Jolla. Probably a zoo there today though. If you ever want to go on a monday or tuesday, hit me up!

sand dabs - scale, de-head and gut. soak in salt water 10 min. heat up frying pan with 1 tbls butter, chopped garlic and slivered onions. fry the dabs 5 min on each side, salt and pepper while frying. skin will peel off and its done.

JapanRon
05-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Hi murrieta angler,

Can't believe you couldn't find some buddies that like that kind of fishing ! Sorry to hear of the tough day. Those Yeller's must be still a bit fin-e-ki !!! Sandab recipe ?! I'm thinking they would be good 'shio-yaki' style. That is .... after throughly washing (cleaning optional) rub salt into the flesh, allow to set for 45 minutes or so, then either broil or (the preferred method) cook over the hot coals of a hibachi.

JapanRon

Better catchin' next trip out !!

Fishbones
05-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey Robert,

sure wish i could have made it out, too bad bout the mystery yellows....atleast you got some fish for dinner.

hopefully next time we can fish and slay..

Alex,
Fishbones

Newfishsmell
05-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Hey Robert - Heck of a try out there , and when you do get'em I know your gonna put the hurt on'em ...

murrieta angler
05-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Bummer on the no YT. You'll get them next time! I saw your rendezvous post and was hoping your were going to get them. That area is ready to go off again any time now....

Those 1/2 day yellows were caught at La Jolla. Probably a zoo there today though. If you ever want to go on a monday or tuesday, hit me up!

sand dabs - scale, de-head and gut. soak in salt water 10 min. heat up frying pan with 1 tbls butter, chopped garlic and slivered onions. fry the dabs 5 min on each side, salt and pepper while frying. skin will peel off and its done.

I will for sure let you know about the next time I head out Jeff.
Thanks for the recipe, they are cooking right now....YUMMY!!!
Robert

murrieta angler
05-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi murrieta angler,

Can't believe you couldn't find some buddies that like that kind of fishing ! Sorry to hear of the tough day. Those Yeller's must be still a bit fin-e-ki !!! Sandab recipe ?! I'm thinking they would be good 'shio-yaki' style. That is .... after throughly washing (cleaning optional) rub salt into the flesh, allow to set for 45 minutes or so, then either broil or (the preferred method) cook over the hot coals of a hibachi.

JapanRon

Better catchin' next trip out !!

I have quite a few buddies who love to fish, but do not have the gas money to get to S.D. from Orange County. I am using Webmasters recipe this time Ron, but I appreciate the recipe and will try it next time.
Thanks Again,
Robert

murrieta angler
05-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Hey Robert,

sure wish i could have made it out, too bad bout the mystery yellows....atleast you got some fish for dinner.

hopefully next time we can fish and slay..

Alex,
Fishbones

As you know, you didn't miss much Alex.
There will be other times to head out Bro.
Robert

murrieta angler
05-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Hey Robert - Heck of a try out there , and when you do get'em I know your gonna put the hurt on'em ...

Thanks for the kind words Chuck.
Robert

Eat Sleep Fish
05-09-2010, 08:33 PM
you can never rely on those yellows biting, or even being there. good job getting out and A for effort.

Tunaslam
05-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Good solo effort, next time you'll get em! The whole fleet had a slow day on Sat.

murrieta angler
05-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks Cory.
I've already pulled in a couple YT this year so far. I just want more...lol
Robert

Swank909
05-11-2010, 12:39 AM
If we had seen the post me and Brandonfish would have been down there in a heartbeat :( We fished Long Beach to NPH that day, started at 1am lol

murrieta angler
05-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Always next time Swank.
Robert