PDA

View Full Version : Help on a twilight trip please!

irishman
05-07-2010, 11:13 AM
i want to take my girlfriend out on a twilight trip but i have absolutely no idea which landing to go out of. i would really like to have a good chance at a legal halibut. want to make it for saturday night. i'm in santa clarita. want to make this trip a good one so she'll want to do it again. any suggestions or tips on how i might get her on a halibut (WSB or YT would be great too but i know thats extremely unlikely) will be greatly appreciated. i normally fish striper at castaic because its so close to me, not too well versed with salt but i understand the basics. if anyone knows of any promos, that would be a big bonus. thanks all. will post and let you know how it goes.

Ricky-Ray
05-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Davey's Locker or Newport Landing would be my best suggestion for twilight trips. Crew is good and take care of beginner's. Slim chance of catching a halibut, wsb or yellowtail on a twilight trip. Most of the time it would be bass or sculpin or maybe even a few rockfish.

DockRat
05-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Halibut sleep at night. On one night lobster dive my buddy stabbed one in the head with his knife, then opened his game bag and got it in. He told this guy at a dive shop and he said they don't stab them just open the game bag in front of them, then wake them up and thay swim right in. I'm sure they have been caught at night but I've never heard of it.
DR

JP
05-09-2010, 08:41 AM
If your GF has never been on a party boat, I'd suggest taking her to one of the LA or LB landings. As they get to the fishing grounds faster than the OC Boats. That means more fishing time and less travel time. Just know that the LA & LB boats such as the Enterprise and Native Son assign your spot at the rail, so get there early, look at the chart at the ticket window, and pick something near the stern. Otherwise you'll be stuck fishing the bow. As for Halibut, YT, & WSB it's rare to see these caught on a twilight trip. I've only seen two WSB caught on these trips, and I've been on at least 150 of them. Good luck.

FISHINGBEE
05-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I would weight for the Giant Squid to arrive. AS for Halibut YT WSB best shot is the Dolphin out of Islandia. I one time caught a couple YT long way back and lost a WSB at gaff that was not hooked he just swallowed a Sand bass let go at gaff sight. NO halibut sometimes the Small WSB hit all night. MOST BOATS MOVE IN FEAR OF DANGERING FUTURE FISH.

FISHINGBEE