PDA

View Full Version : Tried getting my buddy his first bass

bsp
05-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Basically the whole point of today's trip was to get my buddy Big Steve (he's 6'6") on his first green bass. I told him since he was going to college in the South, he had to at least have a basic knowledge of largemouth bass fishing. He didn't buy it.

Steve's done really well surf and harbor fishing, but he hates fishing in freshwater. His reasons are, "Saltwater fish taste better, fight better, and are willing to bite better." With that ringing endorsement, I told Steve that we were going to hit up a local park lake, and hopefully he could see that largemouth bass were on par with spotties, calicos, corbina, and halibut.

It wasn't today. We got to the lake and immediately I could tell fishing conditions weren't optimal. There was a small boat doing donuts to remove the algae growth, and a bunch of guys with rakes on rope on the shore were tossing out and dragging in more of it. Any bass that were shallow weren't too happy, but we made the best of it and fished when the crew and boats vacated an area.

Steve kept getting hammered on the Uni butter and pick up truck dropshot rig, but they were probably bluegill or trout as they never got the hook. Maybe some bass bites in there as the worm would come back pulled down the hook, but nothing definite.

I was tossing an 8in Huddleston Deluxe, but switched up to a Mattlures Hardgill later in the trip after I saw a bass bust on top after a bluegill. That led to the highlight of the day with a big follower coming up to check it out after a 10min deadstick, but she sunk out once I gave the bait a little twitch. Annoying, but I know where she is for next time.

Saw a few other bass throughout the day, but they were 3lbs max.

I was tossing my swimbaits with a Calcutta 400, 25lb Big Game, and a Phenix 711XH swimbait stick. Steve borrowed my Stradic 2500, 8lb Seaguar InvisX, and Phenix 706M dropshot rod.

Next time I'll remember to bring my 3in Ikas and light bullet weights. Even though the dropshot was getting hammered, it picked up too many weeds most of the day. Weightless might even be better.

Took some nature shots.

Random crayfish the rakers pulled up. Sent him on his way.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1314.jpg

Goslings. Steve and I both agreed the parents would taste good roasted. We were getting hungry around this point.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1315.jpg

Then hit up Chronic Tacos b/c it's supposed to be legit. My take, they do way better carnitas tacos than Wahoo's, and you get more taco for the money. Definitely will be back there for after fishing food.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1316.jpg

Steve inhaling a taco. His words, "I'll break your face if you take a picture of me eating my taco." I reminded him I had the keys, plus there were witnesses.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1317.jpg

Even though today wasn't great in the catching department, we had a good time hanging out and talking about what college is going to be like. Steve also wants to get one of those bass, so we'll hit it up sometime next week again.

Surfer
05-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Basically the whole point of today's trip was to get my buddy Big Steve (he's 6'6") on his first green bass. I told him since he was going to college in the South, he had to at least have a basic knowledge of largemouth bass fishing. He didn't buy it.

Steve's done really well surf and harbor fishing, but he hates fishing in freshwater. His reasons are, "Saltwater fish taste better, fight better, and are willing to bite better." With that ringing endorsement, I told Steve that we were going to hit up a local park lake, and hopefully he could see that largemouth bass were on par with spotties, calicos, corbina, and halibut.

It wasn't today. We got to the lake and immediately I could tell fishing conditions weren't optimal. There was a small boat doing donuts to remove the algae growth, and a bunch of guys with rakes on rope on the shore were tossing out and dragging in more of it. Any bass that were shallow weren't too happy, but we made the best of it and fished when the crew and boats vacated an area.

Steve kept getting hammered on the Uni butter and pick up truck dropshot rig, but they were probably bluegill or trout as they never got the hook. Maybe some bass bites in there as the worm would come back pulled down the hook, but nothing definite.

I was tossing an 8in Huddleston Deluxe, but switched up to a Mattlures Hardgill later in the trip after I saw a bass bust on top after a bluegill. That led to the highlight of the day with a big follower coming up to check it out after a 10min deadstick, but she sunk out once I gave the bait a little twitch. Annoying, but I know where she is for next time.

Saw a few other bass throughout the day, but they were 3lbs max.

I was tossing my swimbaits with a Calcutta 400, 25lb Big Game, and a Phenix 711XH swimbait stick. Steve borrowed my Stradic 2500, 8lb Seaguar InvisX, and Phenix 706M dropshot rod.

Next time I'll remember to bring my 3in Ikas and light bullet weights. Even though the dropshot was getting hammered, it picked up too many weeds most of the day. Weightless might even be better.

Took some nature shots.

Random crayfish the rakers pulled up. Sent him on his way.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1314.jpg

Goslings. Steve and I both agreed the parents would taste good roasted. We were getting hungry around this point.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1315.jpg[/IMG

Then hit up Chronic Tacos b/c it's supposed to be legit. My take, they do way better carnitas tacos than Wahoo's, and you get more taco for the money. Definitely will be back there for after fishing food.

[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1316.jpg

Steve inhaling a taco. His words, "I'll break your face if you take a picture of me eating my taco." I reminded him I had the keys, plus there were witnesses.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1317.jpg

Even though today wasn't great in the catching department, we had a good time hanging out and talking about what college is going to be like. Steve also wants to get one of those bass, so we'll hit it up sometime next week again.

Sounds like you guys hit up Alondra Park. And the location of the pic of you guys eating looks like Torrance Blvd and PCHif I'm not mistaken.

bsp
05-06-2010, 09:57 PM
The street sign hanging over the intersection and Chronic Tacos was a tip off? :LOL:

Been fishing Alondra for a while and I've noticed a change. I didn't fish there for like 6 months and started going back for the past few weeks just chatting with guys and chucking swimbaits for a bit. The dude's fly lining trout are a bit more blatant, and a lot more people are fishing the no fishing area than I remember. Quite a few snaggers too. Different vibe, but still a good lake to get people used to park lake fishing. I'm still figuring it out with swimbaits as I can get follows each trip, but no commits or just a brief flash on the bait.

In any case, say hi to us if you see us next time we fish there. Steve sticks out like crazy, and I'm always rocking a Phenix hat. We're always happy to chat and fish with guys.

Fishbones
05-06-2010, 10:16 PM
its all about getting out and fishing with friends....too bad your buddy didnt hook up, hopefully he gives it another chance.....

bman90278
05-07-2010, 04:36 AM
The street sign hanging over the intersection and Chronic Tacos was a tip off? :LOL:

Been fishing Alondra for a while and I've noticed a change. I didn't fish there for like 6 months and started going back for the past few weeks just chatting with guys and chucking swimbaits for a bit. The dude's fly lining trout are a bit more blatant, and a lot more people are fishing the no fishing area than I remember. Quite a few snaggers too. Different vibe, but still a good lake to get people used to park lake fishing. I'm still figuring it out with swimbaits as I can get follows each trip, but no commits or just a brief flash on the bait.

In any case, say hi to us if you see us next time we fish there. Steve sticks out like crazy, and I'm always rocking a Phenix hat. We're always happy to chat and fish with guys.

Thanks for the report and pics. Hopefully you'll do better next time. I think everyone should call the DFG tip # any time we someone in the no fish zone, flylining trout, or chumming...Maybe it will get the DFG back to the lake.

BTW, how is Chronic Taco for a fast food joint? My bank is across the street from it and I've been meaning to give them a try.

brian

bsp
05-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks fishbones. Yeah, he's ticked about not catching anything, but that's what motivates him to try again. We'll be there next week.

bman, we called but the DFG said there wasn't a warden in the area. They know it's going on, but don't have the manpower. If only you could call the cops on these guys the problem would be solved. As for Chronic Tacos, definitely eat there! Those tacos are insanely good and you get a ton of taco for your money. It's not cheap like Taco Bell, but you're getting way better quality food and I think it tastes a lot better. Cool guys working behind the counter too.

FishinElectrician
05-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Chronic Tacos is off the hook! You cant beat the lunch deal they have. A burrito, tortilla soup, tortilla chips, and a drink for $6.99.

bman90278
05-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks fishbones. Yeah, he's ticked about not catching anything, but that's what motivates him to try again. We'll be there next week.

bman, we called but the DFG said there wasn't a warden in the area. They know it's going on, but don't have the manpower. If only you could call the cops on these guys the problem would be solved. As for Chronic Tacos, definitely eat there! Those tacos are insanely good and you get a ton of taco for your money. It's not cheap like Taco Bell, but you're getting way better quality food and I think it tastes a lot better. Cool guys working behind the counter too.

Someone told me the cops came out recently and wrote a few tickets but most of them walked away and pretended they weren't fishing. I know when I called all the different police depts in the area I was told to call DFG. I guess we'll keep calling the DFG.

b