PDA

View Full Version : LA Harbor, the "Spank King."

Mike K.
07-16-2007, 04:42 PM
So its a been a while since I had time on the water. I've got a new business, less time and more headaches than ever before.

But, I found time to head to LA Harbor and ride the Spank King...I mean Sport King. Office said the boat’s going to Cat. Good. I need some island. While still in the office, I start walking outside and I hear the mouthy deckhand- from 60 yards away. Great, this is gonna be fun.

Fast forward 3 hours. No island. We started to go to the Flats instead, got an hour and a half into the trip, after hitting 2 different bait barges, and now we’re about to hit Cat. Whatever. Then captain doesn’t know where he’s going. Deduct that from my fare next time.

Get to Cat and the fishing is decent. But I couldn’t tell who was catching more fish; the captain or the rest of the boat. Good business, right, I understand. Gotta make it look easy. This guy has a big mouth and doesn’t hesitate to make people move out of his way so he can fish their spot. Fu*k that. Go back to your bridge and shut that fat mouth of yours.

Mind you, people don’t make me move. So, I stayed right where I was suppose to be and caught fish just fine. I am more concerned for the rest of the paying customers. There were a handful of latino’s on the boat. Without saying too much, they weren’t treated very well. Combined, their fare was at least $400, they deserved a little respect.

The deckhand was a dick, the captain was a dick. Seemed there were a lot of “Friends� on board. I think I’ll pass next time.

I get a bad taste in my mouth when the crew is a bunch of assholes, and brings their own audience. My last few trips have been blah. I think the time has come, 2008 I’m buying a Striper. Enough of the sh*t. Sport boats have lost my money.

halijedi
07-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Is Bruce still running the boat? After all these years, he is the same 'ole Bruce. If you meet him for the first time, he may get under your skin, but if you get to know him, he is a really cool person.

I've worked as a pinhead for him 15 years ago during a summer and learned a lot from him.

Mike K.
07-16-2007, 05:10 PM
He may be a sweetheart, but I don't think anyone should have to ride a boat a dozen times and get to know the captain and crew just to have a good time.

Again, it didn't bother me because I'm not someone people usually screw with, but I look for how people get treated and by whom. Word gets around.

farmacist
07-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Mike, let me know when you get that Striper :lol:
I'll be your deckie and I'll bring the vodka 8)

- farmacist

boxl0bster
07-17-2007, 07:15 PM
that sucks what happened man. reading reports like these really make me not want to go on charters anymore. i myself have never experienced crap like this. at least you caught fish and held your ground. too bad about the others. but like you said word of mouth. i know i wont be going there anytime soon if ever.

Cangler
07-17-2007, 07:23 PM
that sucks what happened man. reading reports like these really make me not want to go on charters anymore. i myself have never experienced crap like this. at least you caught fish and held your ground. too bad about the others. but like you said word of mouth. i know i wont be going there anytime soon if ever.

My thoughts exactly !

I love boat fishing .... but have got so tired of getting suckered in ,
ripped off , then ignored , then ripped off again .

8lbCalico
07-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Bummer to hear about your trip... Don't give up man; there are other boats out there with great crews and even better skippers! I have to agree with the owning your boat part only for avoiding crowds at the rail and bad crews.

The two best days of a boat owner’s life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it. I’m in a massive hull repair on my boat in which I was forced to completely gut my cuddy cabin to get to the inside and lay fiberglass. Luckily I'm this far in as I had a crack in my fuel tank and was able to pull that for yet more repairs.

Go figure this all happens when the Albies decide to roll on up, and the Calicos start to go off...just cant win.

B.O.A.T. Break Out Another Thousand!

-8lb

UncleSurf
07-18-2007, 07:43 AM
That's the same boat that finally made me pull the trigger on the Shamrock. Just delivered on Monday! Now I'm out throwing more cash at the marine stores getting her ready.

That was the last time for me on the moo moo's. Tell ya what, you pay your fair share and fish on my boat, and I won't skim the JP. Hell, I may even let ya drive her. (MAY)

SeFi
UncleSurf

sonarbp
07-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Hey UncleSurf,

If you ever need a fishing buddy to split fuel cost let me know!!!

sonarbp

sonarbp
07-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Hey UncleSurf,

If you ever need a fishing buddy to split fuel cost let me know!!!

sonarbp

hbstriker
07-21-2007, 10:30 PM
What kind of boat is that? and where can I find one?

UncleSurf
07-22-2007, 07:22 AM
It's a Shamrock, made in Florida.
In my Yard!
Not too many out here on the west coast. 20ft long 8'2" wide, perkins diesel, keel drive.

She's a fish killa. Should be ready first week of August.

SeFi
UncleSurf

POSTAL
07-22-2007, 09:13 PM
I used to work on shamrocks on the east coast haha ,serious fishing boats ..well made to boot . :wink:

Tail Chaser
07-24-2007, 06:09 PM
That's the same boat that finally made me pull the trigger on the Shamrock. Just delivered on Monday! Now I'm out throwing more cash at the marine stores getting her ready.

That was the last time for me on the moo moo's. Tell ya what, you pay your fair share and fish on my boat, and I won't skim the JP. Hell, I may even let ya drive her. (MAY)

SeFi
UncleSurf Hey Uncle Surf
Thats a sweet ride you got there. Sure has some big trim tabs. Like the bench seat facing the rear too. Would like to build me a similar seat setup, with a huge insulated fish hold under the seats.Probably in a couple of years. My boat is complete for now.
Time to just Ride,Fish, and Enjoy for the next couple seasons

UncleSurf
07-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Getting rid of the brown seat tomorrow, coming back white, with more padding and a little longer base. Gets a little warm sitting on top of the diesel. I'm hoping I'll be done with my prep work by the weekend. Just drained the racor and had more filth in the bowl than I've ever seen. Put on some rod holders on top, gotta get some more.

Dang, BR, triple axle? How big is the SD? 26ft?

Bent Rods
US

Tail Chaser
07-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Hey Uncle Surf
Yea, Shes a 26fter. fully fueled, 9500 lbs on the trl.
Most people, harbor patrol etc, Think shes bigger then 26' From the ground to the top of the Radar dome is 13' 6" when sitting on the trl. Thats the height of a 18 wheelers trl :shock:
Back in 1985 the MFG did not count the swim steps,Bow pulpits, Like they do now days. Heard is was like 87 when the MFG started screwing people by counting swimsteps etc as part of the Lenght overall.And 2ft of boat lenght can cost an extra 20K :shock:
Good thing for the Racor filter, Xlnt filter. You may want to run a diesel additive. Howes is very good stuff. Im trying something else called Liquid muscle. 64oz treats 750 gals. Bought at a truck stop. Removes all water, lubricates, and cleans injectors.
Power service sucks in my dodge cummins. Bought at Wal Mart. Water in fuel light came on. Looks like it never went through the filter also.(Stayed red in the filter canister)
White should cool your seat some. West marine has some isulation for the engine compartment. 1/2in and 1" I believe.
Once again, You got yourself a nice boat there.
Sorry for the Thread Jack.
Back to Moo Moos. I bet I enjoy my pvt boat more in my driveway,Then being on a crowded Moo Moo boat out at sea :lol: