PDA

View Full Version : Camping in Bishop

Daryl
05-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Is anyone actually tent camping in Bishop around the Four Jeffrey's elevation this time of year? I was thinking about going May 20th, but I don't want to freeze for 3 nights.

If I go, I'll be spending most of my time in a tube. I know there is no way to tell for sure whether or not South Lake, Sabrina and North Lake will be thawed enough by then. Does anyone know when those lakes usually become fishable?

Thanks,
Daryl

SierraPeaks
05-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Historically, Sabrina is ice free around Memorial Weekend. This year I'm guessing South Lake will be a little later, like the 2nd week of June. The last I heard, Sabrina was already starting to thin. If you want to camp without freezing your ***** off, there's a small campground at the fork in the road for Sabrina and South Lake. It's a good 10-15 degrees warmer. I stayed there once just because everything else was full and it suited our purpose. Not the most scenic campground...but at night you can't tell the difference.

Sierra_Smitty
05-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Camping at Four Jeffrey in May iis going to be cold at night, possibly cold during the day - but the weather can be pretty pleasant overall if you're prepared for it. It was gorgeous up there a few days this week - although now its gone back to brisk again. Weather is a fickle thing up here.

Sabrina already has some open water from what I understand - and the water level is coming up so 15 days is good head start. Certainly not a sure thing but the chances are fair that you'll have open water by 5/20.

South will probably be an ice cube on the 20th but we're hoping we'll have boats afloat by Memorial - if we have time we'll try to break up some of the ice if we need to but we can ram the ice all week long and do a fraction of the damage mother nature can do with just one night of wind. Wind is our best friend when it comes to breaking up the ice.

SierraPeaks
05-05-2010, 06:42 PM
D'OH !!
I put my Sabrina where my South Lake should have been.
Now it's right after editing.

Daryl
05-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll try to find a room instead. What are your thoughts on North Lake?

SierraPeaks
05-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll try to find a room instead. What are your thoughts on North Lake?

I think you can pretty much forget North Lake until mid June. The road to North Lake alone probably won't be open...let alone the lake.

Eat Sleep Fish
05-07-2010, 03:10 PM

Agreed with what SierraPeaks said about the road being open. This year, probably anywhere between June 1 and the 15th. But then again, if a couple freak storms move in, maybe even later. If we get a couple of weeks of above average heat, maybe even by memorial day weekend....in the sierras, it's all just a guess.

SIDE NOTE: If you're willing to make the trek up to the lake, hike in, you will be rewarded. Extremely light fishing pressure and good size holdovers from the previous season. Brooks, browns too.

flytyingreloader
05-09-2010, 01:16 PM
This time of year, it is GREAT being retired. Lots easier to dodge weather vagaries when most days are relatively free of distractions like work. I used to hate being at the mercy of the weather by having to commit to firm dates for getaways to the Sierras.

It appears we will be here (Ridgecrest) for another year. Being 2 hours from Jack's Waffle Shop is a fine thing. So too is being less than 4 hours from launching the boat at either Dana Landing or Upper Twin Lake.

Eat Sleep Fish
05-09-2010, 01:22 PM
This time of year, it is GREAT being retired. Lots easier to dodge weather vagaries when most days are relatively free of distractions like work. I used to hate being at the mercy of the weather by having to commit to firm dates for getaways to the Sierras.

It appears we will be here (Ridgecrest) for another year. Being 2 hours from Jack's Waffle Shop is a fine thing. So too is being less than 4 hours from launching the boat at either Dana Landing or Upper Twin Lake.

ahhh....the good life...lol....your a lucky man!

Daryl
05-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. We decided to get a room/cabin in the June Lake Loop area.

SierraPeaks
05-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. We decided to get a room/cabin in the June Lake Loop area.

Good call !
Gull Lake is going to start producing some hogs...probably this week.

paintsn
05-24-2010, 02:50 AM
im planning be there this memorial weekend.. ..my question would be anyone camping out in bishop this weekend.. and is it a good idea specially having some young kids.. or better off getting a room?? i cked that friday have a light shower but is clear for sat and sunday..

SierraPeaks
05-24-2010, 05:39 AM
im planning be there this memorial weekend.. ..my question would be anyone camping out in bishop this weekend.. and is it a good idea specially having some young kids.. or better off getting a room?? i cked that friday have a light shower but is clear for sat and sunday..

I tent camped for 6 nights May 11-17 and was never cold. But right after I left temps plummeted and it snowed. So you just never know up there...especially this year. Best bet is to go to www.weather.com and check out the 10 day forecast for Mammoth Lakes (if you go by Bishop's forecast, you will be deceived)

paintsn
05-24-2010, 05:48 AM
I tent camped for 6 nights May 11-17 and was never cold. But right after I left temps plummeted and it snowed. So you just never know up there...especially this year. Best bet is to go to www.weather.com and check out the 10 day forecast for Mammoth Lakes (if you go by Bishop's forecast, you will be deceived)

I appreciate your reply PMSierraPeaks .. glad to know there is still options if it gets tooo cold..