PDA

View Full Version : Upper Twin Lake report and pics

The Rookie
05-04-2010, 05:40 PM
On Friday 5/30 myself and two friends fished the shore near the boat house for about two hours and got the skunk. We saw a few people catching stocker-sized rainbows on Powerbait and left back to our camp determined to do better on Saturday. On Saturday we rented a boat and set out to land some trout. The weather was sunny, about 50 degrees, with gusts of cold wind about every 15 minutes.

We threw everything at them all morning. I tried Thomas Bouyants, Panther Martins, and Castmasters in various sizes and colors with no hits. My buddies were alternating with inflated 1/2 crawlers, and various flavors of Powerbait and Gulp.

Finally, at 2pm I caught this little guy on Chunky Cheese Gulp in about 8ft of water along the southshore of the lake. About 5 minutes later my friend David caught a slightly bigger rainbow with the same bait. Only my buddy Pablo, got the skunk both days.
We saw a few other anglers along the shore catching 'bows, everyone was using Powerbait or something similar.

We called it a day at 4pm. Overall, it was a great day, beautiful scenery, good times with good friends. Oh, and that was my buddy David's first fish ever! He was stoked to say the least and I think I have a new fishing partner. Thanks for reading.:Big Grin:

SierraPeaks
05-04-2010, 06:39 PM
There was just a 14 lb 14 oz brown taken out of Lower Twin a couple days ago on a snowy morning trolling a Rapala. (Friday I think)
Someday that'll be me....someday.

The Rookie
05-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Yea, I saw the pics, that was a monster. Supposedly, he got it on a Rapala fished from shore. That was the buzz at the lake when we were there.

SierraPeaks
05-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Interesting. I've never worked a Rapala shore fishing. I've only used them strictly as a trolling lure...so I assumed he was trolling. It doesn't seem like it would be a good casting lure.
Maybe I'll have to re-think that.

flytyingreloader
05-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Rapalas can be cast OK--but Kastmasters they ain't. I cast them for black bass in the Imperial Valley canals, and have whacked both blacks and an occasional dink striper with them.

stphnman20
05-05-2010, 07:19 AM
When I was at Twin Lakes 2 weeks ago, thats what they were biting on, Kastmaster. I wasnt trolling either.. Was at the shore by the marina. Its easier to cast a Kastmaster then a Rapala IMO.