PDA

View Full Version : Steering Cable replacement needed. *Service Needed*

tjensen441
05-03-2010, 01:16 PM
I have a 2005 Tracker TX175 w/ Mercury 60hp -4 stroke. I noticed the last time out the steering was becoming very tight. When I tried it this morning I can't even get the motor to turn right or left. I called Anglers Marine and they tell me it's $110 an hr. plus parts and would probably run me $500-$700 dollars and was most likely the steering cable. I'm not prepared to pay this much and am way over my head in trying to replace myself.

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic that can help me out?

I'm located in Orange County.

Thanks,
TJ

Lipripper93561
05-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Do it yourself. Use the old cable to thread the new cable through. Most of the sites that sell the steering setups, (teleflex) have installation manuals for you to use. Dont get ripped off at the dealer. Disconnect the link at the motor, same with behind the steering wheel, grap your new cable and houseing, side splice the new cable to the old cable with electrical tape, depending on how much room you have to work with will determine how wide of a tape splice you can have. If its very sticky pulling it through, try spraying a dilluted dishsoap and water on the cable to aid in pulling it through. Once you have pulled it through reconnet the linkage on both ends, make sure your cable is lubed properly, and your good to go. The cable should run you about $150 on cabelas or any other site that carries teleflex steering. Look on your existing cable to find the proper model and code to order. It should have a stamped number on it somewhere. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

webmaster
05-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Yeah, you can do it yourself if you have a little mechanical knowledge. I just replaced mine. I wouldn't buy one online though. I made that mistake and got one that was too short (my fault - measured it wrong.) I ended up getting one from Dick Scherrer marine for $200. Took the old one down and laid them out side by side to make sure it was the same.

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, you can bring it by "my shop" and I'll do it for $100, plus parts. I live in North O.C.

GeordyBass
05-05-2010, 11:20 PM
you can try my buddy Rich in Dana Point 949-228-0192... hey may have a good used one too?

tjensen441
05-07-2010, 05:35 AM
Thank you for the response. I could probably do it myself but I just don't have the time and the space to work. If you're still up for the challange can you email me with your private contact information (phone#/email) at tjensen441@ca.rr.com?
Thank you
tj

tjensen441
05-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks for hookin me up Jeff! I'm going to take her out tomorrow and wet a line

webmaster
05-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Good luck TJ! I hope you get some nice fish. That is a sweet rig you got there. Fish on!

bruce watson
05-16-2010, 07:29 PM
It may not be the cable. Mercury motors are known for having their steering stick when a little dirt or rust builds up on the bar that the cable attacts to. It needs to be serviced at least a couple times a year. Then again Mercurys also have a steering tention adjustment. I'd check that first. It might be a free fix.

seahonk
05-27-2010, 02:54 AM
It may not be the cable. Mercury motors are known for having their steering stick when a little dirt or rust builds up on the bar that the cable attacts to. It needs to be serviced at least a couple times a year. Then again Mercurys also have a steering tention adjustment. I'd check that first. It might be a free fix.

very good advise ^