PDA

View Full Version : Oceanside 7/15 – Cuda WFO!

plankton
07-16-2007, 03:02 PM
My brother and I took the “Sea Trek� out of Helgrens yesterday for a ¾ day. We headed up to the domes and anchored for the whole day. There wasn’t a need to move around, the Cuda bite was great all day. The place became a parking lot fast. Even the Newport boats made the trip down. I saw the Freelance and the Western Pride. The Freelance looked packed, maybe 80+ people or so. What a mess that had to be.

It slowed midday just long enough to grab a burger and eat it without having to consume it in five bites. I got back on deck and went right back to it. Got them on Iron, plastics and dines. Dines were top bait all day. About 2:30pm the bite went crazy for about half an hour or so. Fish were flying out of the water chasing bait; we had triple and quad hookups going on. Really fun fishing! We both bagged limits and then some; we had to start shaking them off because everyone had more than enough to take home. Most if not all were “logs�. I mean really great quality fish. Official fish count: 35 Anglers 16-Sandbass 266-Barracuda

Here’s a quick tip for some of you. Attach about 18 inches of 40# Fluorocarbon leader to you main line (I was using 15#) using a blood knot or Seaguar knot. Holds up great to Cuda teeth (got 8 Cuda on one leader…that thing was chewed up bad but, still didn’t break. I decided to change it) and will out fish steel leaders 3 to1.

Gear used:
1. 800L - Avet SX - 20# P-line green - TadyC Blue/white
2. Loomis 96-16c - Trin14 - 15# P-line green - Flyline

Thanks to the Captain and crew of the SeaTrek for another great trip.