PDA

View Full Version : kern River Trout pics & video 4/29

Fishin Magician
04-29-2010, 06:16 PM
With the cold and wind, this is definitely trout weather. Thought I would show you how we fish in higher flows. Sorry about the audio on the vid. I will talk louder next time. I fished for about an hour and a half total for probably 20 fish caught and released. all fish were within 5 feet of the bank. Powerbait was the bait of choice today.

Fishin Magician
04-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Here is the Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeOCoCh_cvA&feature=channel

nismotech91
04-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Very informative! Thanks for the vid.

stphnman20
04-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Good stuff.. Thank man.

Tora
04-29-2010, 09:20 PM
AWESOME video. Thank you. I'm planning to head up there this weekend sometime. I know you said you used powerbait but are you Carolina rigging it with a small weight? What else works there? I've never been up there but it looks amazing! PM me if you'd rather do that...

MIKE Q
04-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Cool vid bro. What size hook and line were you using?

Fishin Magician
04-30-2010, 05:10 PM
The rig I am using is a #16 treble hook straight tied to 4lb test. A foot to 18" above that I add anywhere from 2 to however many it takes of size BB split shot, depending on flow. Currently 6. You want just enough weight to just keep your bait drifting along the bottom with the current without getting hung up.
I only use BB size split shot. The non removable kind, completely round without the tabs. This small size allows me to custom tailor the weight needed by adding or removing one at a time. The BB size does not get caught up (snagged) in the rocks as much as a larger size does and tends to pull free more than break most times. Even the removable kind with the tabs (in the same size) get hung up and broke off more often.
Shape your powerbait with a tail or tear drop shape to give it some action while drifting