PDA

View Full Version : I need help ASAP in choosing Avet reel

sgtskunk
04-29-2010, 05:08 PM
ok so I'm getting started in the salt and want to get a setup. I'll be fishing mostly catalina island off a boat and will try swimbaits and live bait. here is the thing I have a chance to pickup either a Avet JX6 MC 0:1 for $190 brand new in the box or a Avet SX 5.3:1 for $160 out the door. I leaning towards the SX because I would like to use between 12-15lbs test but I'm not sure as to what type of rod to pair it with. any advice would be great as I have no idea about ocean fishing. thanks in advance.

exfactor
04-29-2010, 09:09 PM
buy em both, and go to a reputable tackle store for a comparable rod. When you are on the party boat, ask the regulars what they like. You can't be the hot stick until you learn what you want to use it for. Most guys have alot of rods, for different applications. My favorite starting rod was a 196-6 sabre. Now calstar carries these. A good 12# stick.

Ricky-Ray
04-30-2010, 12:05 AM
The JX is a solid 30/40# reel. Something like a Calstar 800H or 700H would work well for it or even a seeker black steel or super seeker 6480 or 6470 would work great for it too. One of my JX's is paired with a JAW's 7'6" 30-60# rod. It's a Japanese carbon fiber rod that's actually lighter than the Calstar or Seeker's but has just just as much pull on them or maybe even more.

As for the SX, I would not recommend fishing 12# on there. I'm not even sure if you would want to fish 15 either. I fish minimum 20# or more on my SX reels and they are paired with Calstar 800L or 800M or a couple of JAW's 8ft rods also.

If you wanna fish the lighter line I would suggest getting a small baitcasting reel instead something like the Shimano Curado's or Calcutta's, Penn International's, or even Daiwa Pluton or Luna series. They will handle the smaller line class much easier than the Avet's will. If I'm fishing 12-15# line, I'm fishing my Curado 300 with my Calstar GX-8.

Hope this info helps.