PDA

View Full Version : Crab nets or traps. Recomendations.

Dmax
07-16-2007, 11:49 AM
For those of you that do this, do you recomend any type of trap or net to get me started. I will probably just go off of the piers or breakwaters for now. Thanks for the help. Ray

lucky catch
07-18-2007, 03:24 PM
If you are looking for crab from the jetty while standing on the jetty you can get a small metal crab bait cage which attaches to your fishing line. If you try using a hoopnet from the jetty it WILL get stuck and lost. You can use any style trap from the pier for crab, but only hoopnets for lobster. From the pier you are only allowed 2 traps/nets. :D

novel44
07-19-2007, 02:33 PM
From the pier you are only allowed 2 traps/nets. :D

Wow you can actually catch crab and lobster from the piers? I have never seen anyone trying. Has anyone cought any? I wouldn't mind investing in a hoop net/trap to trown down there when fishing off the pier if it has a chance of catching a few crab.

Dmax
07-19-2007, 07:14 PM
The pier is were I saw people catching crab. Without asking for alot would anyone mind posting a link to a couple of traps that you are talking about.

Thanks again, Ray.

mg2969
07-23-2007, 09:44 PM
The 2 main manufacturers of nets that I know of is Promar and Dannielson.
I just purchased 3 Promars.
They are a local company based in Torrance.
The PROMARS are a little bit more BUT they come pre rigged with line and floats
Heres a link
http://www.americanmaple.com/relaunchpr ... pnets.html (http://www.americanmaple.com/relaunchpromar/hoopnets.html)

I found mine at Sports Authority for $20 a piece PLUS a 25 % off coupon
I think Sports Chalet also has em.

Also check out
http://www.sabaslayer.com/

(Jim Salazar)
He works for PROMAR and gives rigging and hooping seminars, right before lobster season opens.

Dmax
07-24-2007, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the info. Now its time to get one or two any give it a shot. I got to read up a little more though.

GopherPride23
07-26-2007, 05:05 PM
I dont know where you are located, but i bought mine from a local landing. Just call around, I paid around twenty bucks for the whole setup.

rockbass
07-26-2007, 08:35 PM
I dont know where you are located, but i bought mine from a local landing. Just call around, I paid around twenty bucks for the whole setup.

E-BAY dude!!!

CoffeaRobusta
07-29-2007, 10:25 AM
I used to use a crab hoop in bodega bay off piers.....easy fishing. Crab and asparagus soup! :D I've tried it off the jetty in bodega too but lost one hoop to the rocks. Another time I lost my footing and landed in the good ole briney. At least I didn't crack my head open. Never had much luck with the snare type traps that attach to your fishing line - I have one but wasn't sure you could use them in socal. Now that I have moved to Orange county, I've tried my hoop off the seal beach pier without much luck. Just a small rock crab and a spider crab one time. Maybe summer is slow for crabbin?

CoffeaRobusta
07-29-2007, 10:26 AM
I used to use a crab hoop in bodega bay off piers.....easy fishing. Crab and asparagus soup! :D I've tried it off the jetty in bodega too but lost one hoop to the rocks. Another time I lost my footing and landed in the good ole briney. At least I didn't crack my head open. Never had much luck with the snare type traps that attach to your fishing line - I have one but wasn't sure you could use them in socal. Now that I have moved to Orange county, I've tried my hoop off the seal beach pier without much luck. Just a small rock crab and a spider crab one time. Maybe summer is slow for crabbin?

mg2969
07-31-2007, 10:53 AM
CoffeeaRobusta,
Maybe you should try other piers if Seal Beach isn't producing ?

I thought that summer was the PRIME time for crabbin, at least back in NJ it was. As soon as the water chilled, the crabs hibernated.

Dmax
08-11-2007, 01:03 PM
I got 2 net and we are heading down to Newport to give it a shot. We wanted to head up to Ventura but I had some stuff to do down south. I'll post some picks if I get anything.

I just found out that everybody and their mother has been crabbing but me. :lol:

Dmax
08-12-2007, 12:41 AM
No luck tonight for crabs. We did have a great time on the mack's. The pier was PACKED. 99.99 percent of the people were nice, only one A-hole to speak of. Better luck next time, hopefully in Ventura.