PDA

View Full Version : Lake Machado $117 Million Restoration /// PCH & 110

DockRat
04-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Bring Back Reggie the Gator :LOL:

Cleanup of Machado Lake planned
By Donna Littlejohn Staff Writer
Posted: 04/28/2010 06:41:30 AM PDT

The City of Los Angeles bureau of Engineering is proposing to rehabilitate the Wilmington Drain and Machado Lake located adjacent to and within Ken Malloy Harbor Regional Park. A snowy egret leaves its perch on a containment boom which keep debris from further flowing down the Wilmington Drain under PCH in Harbor City.

But close up, the reality is harsh.

For years the lake, which holds runoff storm water from the area, has collected everything from pesticides to swarms of mosquitoes and piles of trash.

What once was a pristine spot for bird watchers has deteriorated through the decades. The park now draws homeless encampments and has become a haven for lewd activity. :Shocked:

As Palos Verdes/South Bay Audubon Society member Martin Byhower put it back in 2003: "That park is a microcosm for everything that can go wrong in a regional park."

Next year, work begins to address those long-standing ills. The entire project - formally titled the Wilmington Drain Multi-use and Machado Lake Ecosystem Rehabilitation Project - is expected to be finished by mid-2013.

Work on the Wilmington Drain that feeds into the lake begins in the summer of 2011 and is expected to take 1 1/2 years. Work on Machado Lake begins in the fall of 2011 and will take 2 1/2 years.

Funding comes from the 2004 passage of Proposition O, a statewide measure to clean urban runoff and improve water quality.

The $117 million cleanup of Machado Lake and the Wilmington Drain will include a series of steps, from installing trash nets and circulatory equipment to dredging the bottom of the lake.
Floating islands will be created for nesting areas to support native habitat.

Benches and other park amenities also will be added to the 231-acre Ken Malloy Harbor Regional Park that surrounds the body of water. Expanded recreational uses - possibly a "catch-and-release" fishery for example - will be decided upon later by the city's Recreation and Parks Department. :Envious:

"There are four goals: water quality improvements, recreational enhancements, wildlife habitat improvements and flood control," said Michelle Vargas, public information officer for the city of Los Angeles.

"Clearly this will be a major improvement over what we've seen in decades of neglect," said Jess Morton, also of the Audubon Society.

Nets and other filters will be installed to keep the lake and drain connections cleaner, Vargas said. The water level also will be maintained at 8 feet to ensure more oxygen to support the fish and other wildlife.

"You won't see the summertime die-off of fish and birds caused by nutrient loads," Morton said.

Algae, pesticides and pollutants such as metals from area industry are likely to be found in the sediment at the bottom of the lake once dredging begins in 2011.

Once known by locals as "the slough," the area was owned by the Dominguez family in the 1700s and American Indians remained prevalent around the lake. The property later went to the Sepulveda family.

It was annexed in 1906 to the city of Los Angeles and eventually was designated as a regional park.

In the 1990s, the park was named for Ken Malloy, a San Pedro environmentalist who died in 1991 at the age of 78.

Malloy came upon the undeveloped area in the 1930s when his car bumped into some cows grazing on the property and spent years nurturing it.

Convinced it could someday become a grand regional park, Malloy later formed the 62-acre Machado Youth Campground within the park. He was instrumental in planting hundreds of trees in the park as well, working with the California Conservation Corps.

Public meetings about the project have been held and comments are still being solicited for the draft environmental report and will remain open until May 3.

donna.littlejohn@dailybreeze.com

Machado Lake: What's next?
What: Comments on the draft EIR can be made through May 3. The document is available at the Harbor City/Harbor Gateway Library, 24000 S. Western Ave.; Wilmington Library, 1300 N. Avalon Blvd.; and at the office of Los Angeles City Councilwoman Janice Hahn, 638 S. Beacon St., Suite 552, San Pedro; and online at www.lacity.org/DPW/dpwhome.htm.
Information: www.lapropo.org; 213-978-0333; bpw.pao@lacity.org.

DR

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
04-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanx for the heads up dr..is this harbor lake? This means another lake for l.a. bass fisherman, I wonder why no other l.a. anglers aren't jumping for joy or at least replying to this post, especialy when there is hardly any freshwater areas in the harbor areas...kudos bro and I know your mostly a salt water guy too..I think the south bay freshwater guys should keep an eye out for good news like this...

bman90278
04-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanx for the heads up dr..is this harbor lake? This means another lake for l.a. bass fisherman, I wonder why no other l.a. anglers aren't jumping for joy or at least replying to this post, especialy when there is hardly any freshwater areas in the harbor areas...kudos bro and I know your mostly a salt water guy too..I think the south bay freshwater guys should keep an eye out for good news like this...

Yes that is Harbor Lake and I would think there won't be too much excitement until people see some action from that story. In the past many projects have been changed or halted in that region. Hopefully this will be different.

brian

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
04-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Yes that is Harbor Lake and I would think there won't be too much excitement until people see some action from that story. In the past many projects have been changed or halted in that region. Hopefully this will be different.

brian

oops, let's hope this time around it gets done..

DockRat
04-30-2010, 07:36 AM
This could be good. I did some extensive recon between PCH and Lomita Blvd 'Gator Hunting' a couple years back after Reggie dissappeared and was MIA for year and a half. Kinda creepy back in there. Saw some big turtles, lots of minnows and some boils ? Carp ? Found a old plastic canoe with a old worn off 'Florida Gatorland' sticker on it. These modern day Lewis and Clark Homeless Guys
had a homemade paddle and used it for collecting bottles and cans.

That Wilmington drain hits the Harbor Lake, then goes underground across Anahiem St running along the refinery (Gaffey), then goes under the 110 freeway by the SP Skateboard park. Then it cross's underground at Harry Bridges Blvd and dumps into the Port by Yang Ming/China Shipping.

Why did I tell you this ? Because for some reason where it hits the port or saltwater they have a canal to carry it the last 1/8 of a mile and at minus low tide that area is covered with Oysters.

Yep Oysters. At least they look like Oysters. Seems to be the only spot with these Oyster clusters in the Port of LA. Why ? I dunno.
Something in that toxic drain water ? Could there be Pearls ? I need to go shucking. No public access, need a TWIC card.

DR

KID CREOLE
04-30-2010, 08:02 AM
DR, I can tell you back in the day, if you knew where to fish catching 3 to 5 lb LMBs was pretty easy, not the case now. The lake needs to be made deeper water plants and tules have to be kept in check.

I would love to see this made into a catch and release lake and make it as kid friendly as possible.

This little lake is a stop over for lots of migratory waterfowl

Surfer
04-30-2010, 12:06 PM
DR, I can tell you back in the day, if you knew where to fish catching 3 to 5 lb LMBs was pretty easy, not the case now. The lake needs to be made deeper water plants and tules have to be kept in check.

I would love to see this made into a catch and release lake and make it as kid friendly as possible.

This little lake is a stop over for lots of migratory waterfowl

Very true. Not more than about 10-15 years ago this place was flourishing with fish. It had good populations of bluegill, crappie, carp, catfish, and nice size largemouth bass. Recent years has shown huge dieoffs of fish and birds. There would be days when you would see dead trophy-sized largemouth and huge carp floating on the surface. It's a real shame that this place as been neglected for so long. I always considered this place the best kept secret in the South Bay. I visited this place a week ago just to find a pool of stagnant, smelly water. I didn't see a single live fish in the water, not even mosquitofish. I had hope that there was still fish in there because Reggie was sustaining himself somehow (maybe by eating the ducks, snakes, racoons, and frogs). But I'm afraid there might be no fish left in the lake due to the toxicity of the water. I've been visiting Alondra lately, but its just not the same.

OnlyHappyHooknHawgz
04-30-2010, 01:17 PM
harbor lake was one of my favorite old stomping grounds back in the mid to late 90s... pre reggie and before a couple of the major kill offs due to some companies dumpn chemicals (chlorine or amonia... i 4get which of them was the worst) harbor lake was beyond epic. Big bass... lil bass.... bluegill.. everything cept 4 trout ... gawdddddddddd i miss the good ol days =[ fished there last year... right b4 summer started.. no bass... saw some huge carp boiling.. saw a man with 3 tiny catfish in a bucket... but my friend managed to catch a bluegill off the dock. Ohh and imo... the bird enthusiasts that are pushing for the clean up project on harbor dont give a **** about bringing back the fish population or making it a cNr lake.... dont let their b.s.ing fool you... the majority of the 'bird enthusiasts' HATE ppl fishing at harbor because they think that the sole and only purpose of the lake is for the birds. :|

Surfer
04-30-2010, 01:32 PM
harbor lake was one of my favorite old stomping grounds back in the mid to late 90s... pre reggie and before a couple of the major kill offs due to some companies dumpn chemicals (chlorine or amonia... i 4get which of them was the worst) harbor lake was beyond epic. Big bass... lil bass.... bluegill.. everything cept 4 trout ... gawdddddddddd i miss the good ol days =[ fished there last year... right b4 summer started.. no bass... saw some huge carp boiling.. saw a man with 3 tiny catfish in a bucket... but my friend managed to catch a bluegill off the dock. Ohh and imo... the bird enthusiasts that are pushing for the clean up project on harbor dont give a **** about bringing back the fish population or making it a cNr lake.... dont let their b.s.ing fool you... the majority of the 'bird enthusiasts' HATE ppl fishing at harbor because they think that the sole and only purpose of the lake is for the birds. :|

Yup this lake was the ***** back in the day. If this place gets cleaned up, and that's a "BIG IF" (I'll believe it when I see it!), I'm gonna hit up Castaic and get the bass population back up in my favorite lil fishin hole.

BishopTrouter
04-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Yup this lake was the **** back in the day. If this place gets cleaned up, and that's a "BIG IF" (I'll believe it when I see it!), I'm gonna hit up Castaic and get the bass population back up in my favorite lil fishin hole.

Im with you on that! I remember seeing big momma bass on their spawning beds during the early spring, i never got them to bite but they were BIG. it sucks that they died off like that..

illegal fish transplanting ftw!

dfisher
05-10-2010, 09:22 PM
hopefully they rid of the stupid people that goto that lake, otherwise that money is considered lost.. I see chairs, contruction cones, tables... dead ppl... in that lake all the time.

Surfer
05-10-2010, 09:47 PM
LAPD did a sting there a few months ago to catch all the gay dudes that meet in the woods to have sex.

OnlyHappyHooknHawgz
05-11-2010, 06:35 PM
LOL! That is just soo... idk... ewwwwwwwwww. Anyways i hope they actually do clean the lake up because i miss that place, even if the fish do glow :P What i think will happen in all likelyhood, is that the lakeshore will get cleaned up and maintained for a while to keep the bird enthusiasts happy, the water will get cleaned up some to make a better habitat for the waterfoul... but nothing will ever be done as far as making the lake a better , community friendly fishing lake. (and sorry to admit it, but i think i heard somewhere along the rumor mill during the last big push to clean up the lake, that if anything were to be done to make the lake a 'fishing friendly' lake, then they would more than likely have to fence it in to keep out all the 'midnight fisherman'..lol

reptile dude007
07-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Sorry to bring up this old topic, but I live like Four or five blocks from the place and last time I was down there I saw some extremely small minnows by the storm drain/big 'ol pipe that empties out into the lake. I hope to go down there some time next week after summer school to test out the bluegill fishing down there. Any tips?