PDA

View Full Version : Still no love at the Carp Hole.

DockRat
04-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Went back to the LA River where all these carp were boiling and on the chew in the shallows last week.

This time they weren't on the prowl and only saw a couple boils.
Last trip tried bisquit dough for nada.

This trip brought a bag of masa and can of corn. Tried the masa and used masa balls on a dough holder treble hook and a clear bobber to keep it out of the moss, NADA!

Next, Corn. Tried 6 kernals on the treble, NADA!
Then tried a #8 baitholder hook with 4 kernals, NADA!

2 Hours = No Bites. These fish are trapped in this area and I estimate 50 Carp there up to 2'.

First trip was near sundown time lots of carp showing and feeding. 2nd trip was mid morning and alot less activity.

I'll be back.

DR

Marine_Michael
04-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Try a smaller hook or even a mosquito hook with only 1-2 kernels of corn. I hear the sweet corn is the thing to use, also put about a tablespoon of vanilla extract in it and let it soak overnight before using it. With the masa try mixing it with strawberry soda or the strawberry kool-aid mix with the sugar in it. Popcorn is reported to work good too. Careful with that chumming, I'm pretty sure it's not legal in fresh water.

What pound test line are you using? The lighter the better, most of the guys I've read reports from on here are using 2-4 lb test for carp. Carp have good eye sight and will drop/spit the bait if they feel resistance so give them a bit of slack and let them take it before setting the hook.

BrandonFish
04-28-2010, 10:47 AM
hmmmm if the corn isn't working and there active it seems. Ive herd red worms with a bobber work good with like 10 or more on a hook lol. but ive never tried that. corn, bread, and corn tortilla is usually what i use.
but besides that have you tried chumming wonder bread see if they'll suck that down? strange there not hitting the corn. try the bread and red worms. if it seems there trapped there they must have 1 food source that they like. just think what is there in that spot that they would eat. im assuming they suck down little worms there cause there must be alot that floats on down to them. just a thought. try a size 10 owner hook with the corn or a size 12 but they shouldnt be hook or line shy for the spot you fish, kinda weird.

carpinator
04-28-2010, 02:30 PM
They might bite on some kind of insect patterns. Try a fly on 2lb flourocarbon either drift it in or try using a small clear slider bobber and a clear carolina keeper with and make the leader just long enough to put in front of their mouth's level. A few patterns that flyfisherman use for carp are,"CLOUSER SWIMMING NYMPH IN RUSTY BROWN #8", or " WHITLOCK'S NEAR ENUFF CRAWDAD IN RUSTY BROWN OR OLIVE #4 OR #5". If you have some of you own try those but those colors work well for carp. Good Luck!!

DockRat
04-28-2010, 05:28 PM
What pound test line are you using?

6 lb Maxima. Thanks for the chum info. Haven't fished freshwater in years.
I remember as a kid corn was illegal at Big Bear Lake. Is it still ?

DR

DockRat
04-28-2010, 05:35 PM
hmmmm if the corn isn't working and there active it seems. Ive herd red worms with a bobber work good with like 10 or more on a hook lol. but ive never tried that. corn, bread, and corn tortilla is usually what i use.
but besides that have you tried chumming wonder bread see if they'll suck that down? strange there not hitting the corn. try the bread and red worms. if it seems there trapped there they must have 1 food source that they like. just think what is there in that spot that they would eat. im assuming they suck down little worms there cause there must be alot that floats on down to them. just a thought. try a size 10 owner hook with the corn or a size 12 but they shouldnt be hook or line shy for the spot you fish, kinda weird.

Brandon, When I tried the corn and masa they wern't active, maybe that is the reason they weren't bitting ?

I'll try a sunset time trip again. Some of them looked 2' +

Are you gonna try the spot ?

DR

DockRat
04-28-2010, 05:37 PM
With a name like ' Carpinator ' you must know carp ? Thanks for the 411.

DR

BrandonFish
04-28-2010, 05:45 PM
ill try to hit up that spot 1 of these days just cant get to it atm

chuxder
04-28-2010, 06:48 PM
ill try to hit up that spot 1 of these days just cant get to it atm

Wheatie Balls made with grape jelly, or peeled Crawdad tails. When all else fails, a high powered pellet rifle works real good. Don't forget to keep all you catch.

Marine_Michael
04-28-2010, 10:58 PM
6 lb Maxima. Thanks for the chum info. Haven't fished freshwater in years.
I remember as a kid corn was illegal at Big Bear Lake. Is it still ?

DR

Per DFG regulations page 13

2.40. Chumming.
Chumming is permitted only in:
(a) The Colorado River District, but only the approved bait fishes for this District may be used as chum (see Section 4.15) except in the Salton Sea where corn may also be used.
(b) Carquinez Strait and Suisun Bay and their tributaries and saltwater tributaries.
(c) Sacramento River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from Interstate 80 bridge.
(d) San Joaquin River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from Interstate 5 bridge.