PDA

View Full Version : Mission Bay Finally!

calico killer kevin
04-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Late report from last Saturday, but just wanted to let everyone know that I have finally gotten the hang of MB. Totals were 1 short hali, 1 smelt, 1 calico, 6 sand bass, 5 spotties. Hit a trifecta and then some. All fish were holding really tight to the weedline and rocks. Had to cast nearly onto the structure and the hits would come in the first 2-5 cranks. All on Big Hammers and 1/4oz heads.

My friend broke his spinning rod towards the end of the day and ended up catching a couple on the first section of a 2-piece rod. http://www.scsurffishing.com/forums/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif Got a few weird looks from passing boats but oh well.

Pics will come when my friend sends them to me.

Thanks to all the people who have helped me. You know who you are.

Swank909
04-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Not much else to say other than practice makes perfect. Good job out there

delmar
04-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the report, and for your buddy, what ever works man!

murrieta angler
04-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the report Kevin,
Will patiently await the pics.
Robert

FISHINGBEE
04-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Late report from last Saturday, but just wanted to let everyone know that I have finally gotten the hang of MB. Totals were 1 short hali, 1 smelt, 1 calico, 6 sand bass, 5 spotties. Hit a trifecta and then some. All fish were holding really tight to the weedline and rocks. Had to cast nearly onto the structure and the hits would come in the first 2-5 cranks. All on Big Hammers and 1/4oz heads.

My friend broke his spinning rod towards the end of the day and ended up catching a couple on the first section of a 2-piece rod. http://www.scsurffishing.com/forums/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif Got a few weird looks from passing boats but oh well.

Pics will come when my friend sends them to me.

Thanks to all the people who have helped me. You know who you are. Good job. nice to hear a MB report. Man i fished MB and SD bay hundreds of times. There are up to 33 different species of fish to catch. Many different syles lures baits etc. I do know freshwater bass lures such as crank baits spinner baits are great for the eel grass. The bait barge holds cuda bonita mackerel white sea bass most juevy, some bass halibut . The bridges hold calicos other bass. Halibut love that spot and if you can get some live bait even better. Trolling the barge spoons broken back fast trac rebels are hot. Also troll for halibut bass. The guide i knew loves sinking a kroc at the barge reeling up fast . The method you use is a great way to catch them. Just giving you a few more ideas when the plastics are slow.

FISHINGBEE

FISHINGBEE

Jaysuuun
04-28-2010, 05:54 PM
PICS! PICS! PICS! LOL Can't wait to see them.

I had the same experience your friend had. My friends laughed at me fishing with half a rod. But I had the last laugh when I landed more fish with my ghetto rigged rod. :Fishing Catch:

Congrats on your successful MB outing and the trifecta.

flyngby
04-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Kev,

Expanding your horizons again I see!

Great job to the friend who was not to be denied!

Steve

calico killer kevin
04-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the tips and insight. I'll try some of those techniques next time.

Unfortunately, I am unsucessful at getting the pictures off my friend's BlackBerry, so you're just gonna have to take my word for it haha. This was our 4th trip to MB in just as many weeks and we have just been able to figure out a pattern. Totally different fishing than NPH. More underwater structure oriented, and way less docks which is my power game. From what many other more experienced MB anglers have told me was that for the last month or two, it's been slower than ever.

Expect more reports from MB as more free time opens up this summer. My friend has his boat stored at Campland on the Bay, so we'll be hitting MB hard. I want a Corvina so bad. As for this Saturday, I'll be taking an AP test from 9-1, but after, it's game on in NPH.

Peace

Fire Ball
04-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the tips and insight. I'll try some of those techniques next time.

Unfortunately, I am unsucessful at getting the pictures off my friend's BlackBerry, so you're just gonna have to take my word for it haha. This was our 4th trip to MB in just as many weeks and we have just been able to figure out a pattern. Totally different fishing than NPH. More underwater structure oriented, and way less docks which is my power game. From what many other more experienced MB anglers have told me was that for the last month or two, it's been slower than ever.

Expect more reports from MB as more free time opens up this summer. My friend has his boat stored at Campland on the Bay, so we'll be hitting MB hard. I want a Corvina so bad. As for this Saturday, I'll be taking an AP test from 9-1, but after, it's game on in NPH.

Peace
No pics? Report are no fun without pics! :LOL: What AP test are you taking?

calico killer kevin
04-30-2010, 07:58 PM
No pics? Report are no fun without pics! :LOL: What AP test are you taking?
AP European History. Doing fine with all the post 19th Century, but the popes, King Louis's, and Austria-Hapsburg....

You should bring your tube the Newport sometime. You won't be fishing LMB's anymore lol.

Fire Ball
04-30-2010, 09:58 PM
AP European History. Doing fine with all the post 19th Century, but the popes, King Louis's, and Austria-Hapsburg....

You should bring your tube the Newport sometime. You won't be fishing LMB's anymore lol.
Ah, nice. I got a 3 on that test. I didn't really do any work for the class or anything either, lol. All I cared about was passing, so 3 was fine with me. Hope you do well on it. I got a 4 on the AP Environmental Science test 2 years ago and hardly did anything in that class too.

Ya, maybe I will hit NPH sometime. It is just far for me and the Lagoon is so close, haha. I don't think I will ever stop LMB fishing since anything else is pretty far away.

FISHINGBEE
05-01-2010, 03:03 PM

Peace Want a corvina or maybe even a bonefish PM me. For real. I used to target the corvina and SD bay is a much better spot and bigger fish. Maybe even log barrracuda if your interested.

FIshingbee