PDA

View Full Version : Flatmasters 4 - Blythe - June 19th thru 20th

bluehunter
04-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Time to start setting the stage for the Flatmasters 4 event in Blythe. This is an annual event we have in Blythe at Mayflower camp site. Anglers can fish either the Main River or the Canal, backwaters, or drains for this event. Sign in will be at 8am conducted at Mayflower Camp on the 19th and weigh in will be conducted back at Mayflower camp at 8am the following morning on Sunday. This will be the 3rd event of the year and is also a qualifier for our point system in which the top person with the most points will get a rod and reel valued at close to $200 at the conclusion of the August event which is the last wccm derby of the season.

Anglers may fish Blythe or Palo Verde for this event just like in the past. Just make sure that you arrive back by weight in time and leave your location in good time to arrive for the weigh in. Categories for this event will be flatheads and channels.

$25 tournament fee

Flatheads - single biggest - $20 - 1st thru 3rd - 50%, 35%, and 15% winnings of total deposits.

Channel - winner takes all biggest channel cat - $5

This promises to be a great event just like the rest of our events of the past. More details and rules and regulations coming following the Imperial Valley event in May. For those of you interested in this event please post your intent. Also those willing to donate or help sponsor event please contact me as far as sponsoring with shirts, hats, etc.

Look forward to seeing you in Blythe in mid June - Flatmasters 4 - who will be the next flatmaster winner? See ya there.

B

1. Bluehunter+ 1

team760
04-27-2010, 05:15 PM
yup gina and i are in of course

bluehunter
04-27-2010, 07:42 PM
1. Bluehunter +1
2. Team760 and Gina
3. Kotka Man +1
4. Ryan7878

bluehunter
04-29-2010, 06:26 AM
1. Bluehunter +1
2. Team760 and Gina
3. Kotka Man +1
4. Ryan7878
5. lightline21
6. katnip+3

bluehunter
05-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Ok peeps the last event is in the books. Time to get the June event crackalacking and on point. There will be a few changes to the next event.

The fee is increasing 5 dollars per person. The total fee for the event will be $30 dollars instead of 25 dollars to help with fee and cost of tournament . I look forward to seeing everyone there and its going to be a blast. 30 - 40 pound flatheads have been making a good showing as they come off of their beds and is going into a feeding mode. The bite been about a month behind but they are finally waking up. Should still be going strong for the event. See ya there!

B

The point system for the rod and reel giveaway will be updated shortly.

B

10milehike
05-19-2010, 07:18 AM
had a great time at imperial and looking foward to a better time in blythe so count us in max +2.

bluehunter
05-19-2010, 10:12 AM
1. Bluehunter +1
2. Team760 and Gina
3. Kotka Man +1
4. Ryan7878
5. lightline21
6. katnip+3
7. Max+2

Fisherman57
05-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Hey Brian......

I'm gonna make one of these events one day!...... Ill be at South Lake on these dates.......... BUT, on behalf of Team 57..... I'd like to donate TWO $25.00 Bass Pro Shops gift cards for your derby winners......

Shoot me a PM as to where to mail them and Ill get them sent.....
Hope you all have a good time!

Dana
Fisherman 57

bluehunter
05-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks a lot Dana. I appreciate it. PM on the way.

bluehunter
05-25-2010, 06:16 AM
Been hearing of some 30 pound class flats coming out of the area lately. Should be no different fot the event. About 3 more weeks peeps. Spread the word. Look forward to seeing ya. Updated stats coming soon.

B

Fisherman57
05-25-2010, 11:54 AM
2 - $25.00 Bass Pro Cards mailed today Brian! ......... lemme know when they arrive!
Hope everyone has a great time out there!

Dana

bluehunter
05-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks a lot Dana. Will do!

B

bluehunter
06-06-2010, 07:14 PM
1. Bluehunter +1
2. Team760 and Gina
3. Kotka Man +1
4. Ryan7878
5. lightline21
6. katnip+3
7. Max+2
8. Flatheadfever

bluehunter
06-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Ok folks the event a few weeks away its time to get it pumped. Hit me up 4 details.

B

10milehike
06-15-2010, 05:00 PM
hey brian ! only afew days away to the blythe flatmasters 4. we have not heard any updates regarding event are we still on? if we are do you know if b&b will have goldfish my supplier is out.

bluehunter
06-15-2010, 09:52 PM
hey brian ! only afew days away to the blythe flatmasters 4. we have not heard any updates regarding event are we still on? if we are do you know if b&b will have goldfish my supplier is out.

For sure we are still on. Still meeting in Blythe.

bluehunter
06-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Ok everyone event is a few days away. Hope to see everyone there it should be fun. Remember we are meeting in Blythe at mayflower Camp at 8am. Recent reports show that flatheads are biting well in Blythe as well as palo Verde. Anglers can fish boat or shore on this one it does not matter. Plus Canals, drain ditches, backwaters, and main river are all good for this trip. We want everyone to catch fish at whichever location that is more feasible for you - man - women, young, and old.

If you plan to use a boat on the main river be very careful and watch out for sand bars.Low bottom boats are recommended and not the really big V style boats. If you are new and plan to fish the bank and need help we can point you in the right direction. Primarily the palo Verde drains been best for bank style fishing but there are also places on the main river as well that is good for channels and flatheads.

Be mindful of the heat and bring plenty of liquids. Absolute best time to get bait is early morning and late evening. If you already have bait spots in mind you may want to get some before registering or go directly after registering to beat the mid day heat. Mayflower area has bait spots as well as a baitshop in town not far away at B&B that sells goldfish if you need some.

Palo Verde also has a bait shop in town that sells goldfish.

I would like to wish everyone good luck and see you all out there Saturday morning. Good luck!

B

fullstringer
06-16-2010, 06:27 AM
Hey 10mile pm me I've got some intel for you,Recon mission turned out to be fab.Looking forward to this weekend.

Joe

bluehunter
06-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Ok people the time is almost here. If anyone has any questions or needs help hit me at my 310 at 310 256-0332. My 424 gets no reception there.

See everyone at mayflower in Blythe at 8am Sat morn.

Have a safe trip and take your time.

bluehunter
06-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Ok eveverybody here is a short video of what went down. Did not take many pics but have some cool footage. Will give a full report later tonite. Busy day for me today. Report coming tonite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et3Ljp8er4A

scca
06-21-2010, 11:14 AM
You finally stepped your game up and got out on the river !! Like I told you before." You're better fisherman then those dam drain ditches. Kudos on to ya your Tourney !! Next time launch out of Mc intyre go north and fish that small dyke on the outside bend you will see it on your fish finder. The cables are cool too LOL !! But i thought it was fished out years ago lol !!

basshunter1
06-21-2010, 02:30 PM
I do not know how to post someting so I since you have a catfish as your profile picture I will ask you. My brother and I with two other buddys are going to Blythe on saturday. Do you know of any good spots to try and find some large Cats? I am a Bass fisherman but I hear so much hype on Cats I want to become a beliver! Any type of info that you can give me will be appreciated.

bluehunter
06-21-2010, 02:38 PM
You finally stepped your game up and got out on the river !! Like I told you before." You're better fisherman then those dam drain ditches. Kudos on to ya your Tourney !! Next time launch out of Mc intyre go north and fish that small dyke on the outside bend you will see it on your fish finder. The cables are cool too LOL !! But i thought it was fished out years ago lol !!

Keith you really have no idea what you are talking about just like I told you before as well. How many big cats have you landed from the river? Its ok but not the overall end all. I like those drain ditches and canals better. LOL. BBQ, socializing, camping, all the good stuff. Besides there are plenty of more spots than the cable on the main river. We cleaned that out a few years ago which is why I stopped going there. LOL Pichacho is also the bombay just a good boat ride. The area outside of Walters produced a big one for some folks as well. So many other places to fish. So many more things than a boat as well. Although I do say I will do more river runs on the boat soon - I negelected it for the last 2 years due to teh success on the canals and having folks with me - more than what I can fit in my boat. The games been stepped up. So have the tournaments as well. Thank you very much.

bluehunter
06-21-2010, 02:53 PM
I do not know how to post someting so I since you have a catfish as your profile picture I will ask you. My brother and I with two other buddys are going to Blythe on saturday. Do you know of any good spots to try and find some large Cats? I am a Bass fisherman but I hear so much hype on Cats I want to become a beliver! Any type of info that you can give me will be appreciated.

The best thing I can tell you to do is launch from any place you choice in Blythe. There is Mayflower and also Mcintyre/ Walters further south. Look for areas that is behind a bend or point. Areas that have slacker water away from the main and fast current. It is best to travel there during the day and look for these spots that are all up and down the river. Look for tullies and trees. Fish right next to them. Observe and be mindful of the fluctuations of the river and it can catch you off guard as the water goes up and down. Try to set up in a spot that is at least 6 feet deep. Water normally fluctuates around 3 feet. Watch out for the sand bars it can be a mess on the river. Further south of the ten freeway are a few areas with backwater leading areas connecting to the main river. Some with several entries. You can go up and down those areas and even set up. Good places to fish are the entry way of the backwaters or the exit. There is one further south on the main River in Palo Verde in which the palo verde drain flows out of into the main river - another good spot. Outside of walters camp also have a lot of good spots too.

You can catch channels all up and down the river they are plentiful. Flatheads on the other hand are good during the night time for the most part on the main river so you will want to find those areas in the evening to fish for them. Bluegills, tilapia, and goldfish are the key and keeping them alive. The backwaters and drains are also very good as well and dont let anyone tell you different. The locals fish the banks more and have more success than even the main river. Both can provide good catfishing some may be a better choice depending on the water temps of each one. The river is cooler than the backwaters and canals therefore the bite starts earlier on the backwaters and drains earlier than the main river. A lot of these main river flats use the backwaters for their spawning grounds. A buddy of mines fished the main river last week and caught a few flats with eggs in them which is an indicator of the spawn still happening on the main river.

bluehunter
06-21-2010, 03:59 PM
I would like to thank everyone for showing up to the Flatmasters 4 event in Blythe. The is is an annual event that happens in June in Blythe and it is always fun. Lots of familiar faces and some new faces as well. All together we had 22 people show up. 17 for the channel division and 15 for the flathead division. A few was only there for support. Thanks goes out to my fishing and derby partner in Todd once again. Much love on this WCCM tournament thing we have going. Things have been working really well the last few years and we make it happen with so much ease as well. Thanks to Riverbudd - Always nice chopping it up with you and fishing together as well. We had a few runs further down from you - I got skunked lol ( on flathead that is - lol - but Todd had the flathead touch that night. Thanks to Ryan for coming as well. Sorry about that lost flat in the canal. It happened to me a lot of times as well and I can relate to having to jump in the water to get a big fish. This is part of the reason why I use braid now for them flats in and around heavy Vegie. Thanks to Eric, Kurt, Morgan as well for showing up as well. Always nice to see you guys on the flathead hunt around Blythe, Palo Verde, and the Imjperial Valley. You guys know your sport and is always fun to hang around. Thanks to Joe and Rueben as well. Always good to see you guys you been involved for the last 5 years I been doing the flathead events. Thanks to Earl - fishinghigh and his wife for participating as well and his group of folks. See you on the water soon we all going to hook it up sometime this summer minus the events. Thanks goes out to Brian Cook - desertcatrat and catratmomma. Nice to see you again and talk to you soon about some bass runs. This is all in fun yall and it is great to see everyone coming together and sharing ideas and locations and tips. Boat, backwater, drain ditches was all allowed here and many people hit all 3 locations to try to get a fish. Which is what it is all about - finding and working for those fish.

This trip around the canals provided a better representation for the flatheads while the main river had a better channel bite. I mean you could have caught all the channels you wanted in a few spots we fished at. Could not get any really big, but then again if we would have focused more we maybe could of caught one. Chicken liver was getting ate up well. Other participants found a good channel bite as well. Some got into a good striper bite on the main river on shrimp. Ryan caught a real nice striper as well on livers below the dam. Thanks Ryan on the short striper run we had. Going to give it a longer shot soon.

Now for the winners of the event. We had some good flats landed - some good ones lost. One was lost on my boat as well as some lost in the canals to snags. But that is what keeps us coming back for them and it make it just that more interesting. It generates the flathead fever that flows up and down our veins and gives us just that more joy when we land them. We had 2 divisions in this event - Single biggest flathead in 1st thru third place, and winner takes all single biggest channel. Some good catches was brought to the board in this event.

Flathead:

1st place - Ross Garrett - 21.9 pounds - canal
2nd place - Jake Garrett - 15.45 pounds - canal
3rd place - Brian Cook - 11.35 pounds - canal

Todd Acorn - 6.26 pounds
Jake Garret - 14.90 and 9.19 pounds
Ross Garrett - 9.34 pounds

Channel:

Morgan Blake - 4.10 - main river - winner
Jake Garrett - 3.79, 3.63. 2,49
Rueben - 2.84
Joe - 2.53, 2.57
Dino - 2.27. 2.38
Erik - 2.64
Brian Cook - 2.64

Again I would to thank all of the participants for making Flatmasters 4 a success. You know we will keep this thing going as long as we have great people such as yourselves to help make it happen. Stay tune for the final event of the season - Canal Expeditions 3 in the Imperial Valley. August 7th thru August 8th. Stay tuned for upcoming thread on that event. This will also have the rod giveaway for the points in our 2010 derbies. Will update the last 3 events soon. Thanks again everybody and see you in August.

B

basshunter1
06-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Thank you for the 411. I will be sure to post some pictures of our catches.

scca
06-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Keith you really have no idea what you are talking about just like I told you before as well. How many big cats have you landed from the river? Its ok but not the overall end all. I like those drain ditches and canals better. LOL. BBQ, socializing, camping, all the good stuff. Besides there are plenty of more spots than the cable on the main river. We cleaned that out a few years ago which is why I stopped going there. LOL Pichacho is also the bombay just a good boat ride. The area outside of Walters produced a big one for some folks as well. So many other places to fish. So many more things than a boat as well. Although I do say I will do more river runs on the boat soon - I negelected it for the last 2 years due to teh success on the canals and having folks with me - more than what I can fit in my boat. The games been stepped up. So have the tournaments as well. Thank you very much.
Sorry if you took something i have said wrong Blue. Once again Kudos on your weekend. God's blessing to you and your family. keith SCCA #1
Oh One last thing. You have never beat me fishing a catfish tournament to date. River or Irvine. lol that buddy !!!

bluehunter
06-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Sorry if you took something i have said wrong Blue. Once again Kudos on your weekend. God's blessing to you and your family. keith SCCA #1
Oh One last thing. You have never beat me fishing a catfish tournament to date. River or Irvine. lol that buddy !!!

No problem was just messing with yall on the I told ya so thing. Oh btw. I beat you at Irvine lake. Remember? LOL. Don't forget now I will bring up the memory bank. LOL The long stroll to the weigh in I knock ya out the box on that one. : ) I won first place on that one I believe. It was 5-6 years ago. 04 or 05. #1 is not an issue with me. Just doing what I been doing for the last decade or so. Just God and family is number one in my book. Any and everything else is just secondary and a hobby. Nothing more or less.

scca
06-21-2010, 10:15 PM
No problem was just messing with yall on the I told ya so thing. Oh btw. I beat you at Irvine lake. Remember? LOL. Don't forget now I will bring up the memory bank. LOL The long stroll to the weigh in I knock ya out the box on that one. : ) I won first place on that one I believe. It was 5-6 years ago. 04 or 05. #1 is not an issue with me. Just doing what I been doing for the last decade or so. Just God and family is number one in my book. Any and everything else is just secondary and a hobby. Nothing more or less.
Oh you right that was 2000. Thats when your drove that blue and primer del sol. I thought they called your Bluehunter cause you where trying to find the rest of Blue for your car. LOL I believe you won 2nd place Musky took top honors !!! Butta since then Noda my friend. So dont talk trash !!! Mr Big fish !! have a good one !!! SCCA #1

bluehunter
06-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Oh you right that was 2000. Thats when your drove that blue and primer del sol. I thought they called your Bluehunter cause you where trying to find the rest of Blue for your car. LOL I believe you won 2nd place Musky took top honors !!! Butta since then Noda my friend. So dont talk trash !!! Mr Big fish !! have a good one !!! SCCA #1

Thats going back a little far. Dave won the Irvine derby the night we all hosted a gathering with BOC members and fnn. Dave won with the 75 pounder that was like in 04 then. The night before he got like a 40 something too. I came in 2nd that night too but there was another one that I came in first with. Now that I think about it - it was 2 derbies. LOL. There was an event Catmando had that night when I walked up with the Lone winner - Irvine also had a event that night. That may have been in 03 I have to refresh with Ronson on that one. It was a while back I forgot about that one. I think you was there that night too I dont know. If not I may be wrong on that one. Too many derbies to remember and too many trips thinking back like that. lol.