PDA

View Full Version : Native sun scandle!!!!

pipelayer5150
07-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Hey guys whats up i went out on the native sun last night for a twilight with some buddies and ended up with the jackpot on a nice red snapper the crew was good really friendly and put us on alot of sculpin and 2 red snapper for me.

Heres the scandlous part so we get back to the dock and there had been 12 guys in the jackpot at 5 dollars each so i start splitting it up between all the deckies and the cap and realize theres onl 45 dollars i say ehh what ever maybe i counted wrong i always give it all back to them anyways. so on the drive home my buddy tells me they took a 20% tip for them selves before the even gave it to me wtf i was never even told that i think its ****** that they just automaticly take their cut and besides on every other boat when ive won jackpot ive given it all away and have at least gotten a free ride pass to come back as a thank you but nothing from these guys IMHO bad buisness.

cappo
07-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Its very common for the boat to take 15-20% cut on the jackpot. Ya that sucks they didn't give you something in return, but they're not entitled to. Just makes you question the idea of joining the jackpots next time.

fishnfool
07-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Yea it sucks (especially when you give it to them anyway) but its pretty standard on some boats......

at least they didn't try to knock your fish off with the gaff like one deckie did with my yellowtail (just before heading home).....

this was a few years ago and not on that boat

vanillagurilla
07-16-2007, 12:07 PM
i remember i went with my grandpaw on an over nighter out of san diego. rode all night long and i got the 1rst one on the troll. we were catchin albacore. the deckies were saving all the sardines for the deckies that were fishing. they made us use chovies.... know why? sure chovies work good for albies but dines catch the blue fin. and they didnt let anyone use sardines. i olmoast got in a fight with the deckie untill he realized i could take him so he gave me sardines :)

BBL2Baja
07-16-2007, 12:26 PM
i remember i went with my grandpaw on an over nighter out of san diego. rode all night long and i got the 1rst one on the troll. we were catchin albacore. the deckies were saving all the sardines for the deckies that were fishing. they made us use chovies.... know why? sure chovies work good for albies but dines catch the blue fin. and they didnt let anyone use sardines. i olmoast got in a fight with the deckie untill he realized i could take him so he gave me sardines :)

Islandia?
Just asking, because every time I've headed out of there, the infestation of deadheads has been thick.

Later,
Scott

jsl
07-16-2007, 07:44 PM
This is one of the major reasons why I NEVER enter jp's. In additon, I have experienced some pretty shady things with regards to jp's such pinheads using fish from previous trips and the list goe on. . . .

halo16
07-16-2007, 08:48 PM
pipelayer5150,

I think you should of got a free ticket,

I hate to hear that out of LBSF Berth 55. I usualy go there, though I have not been out on the NS in a long time, I heard they have a new 3/4 day captain may give him a try.

I tend to shy away from jackpots and if I get in and im not happy with the boats service I just consider it my tip. But If I'm happy with the service I will tip also.

But more and more I'm just tipping at the end of the trips. If I feel they deserve it and stay away from the Jackpots, except I tend usualy give something always on overnights.

Anyways hang in there maybe call the landing.

Odium
07-17-2007, 08:24 AM
My pops would always ask if the crew takes out a percentage of the jackpot first. At first, I was always embarrassed when he asked. But after hearing a bunch of Jackpot stories/scams, it didn't seem like such a bad idea.

Fish Dog
07-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Geeze...they're not even good at math..

12 guys x $5 = $60

$60 x .8 (aka 80%) (100% - 20% "tip" leaving you with 80%) = $48

...and you said you had $45 in hand. Hummmmmmm that figures out to them taking a 25% tip BTW.

I don't know...maybe I'm strange but if I found out they took 20% (or 25%) off the top then I'd just figure they already got what they wanted so the rest must be for me...but that's just me.

pipelayer5150
07-19-2007, 01:20 PM
yeah i always give the jackpot back to the cap and crew and usually keep 10 bucks for gas and have always like i said gotten a thank you (free ride pass) in return what im upset about is the auto tipping themselvs. I get pissed at restraunts when they automatically add a 20% tip on there what if the service sucked and they dont deserve a tip at all. A tip is bassed on quality of service ( or at a restraunt how hot the waitress is haahah) not something that is automatically expected i think alot of the service industry has forgotten that.