PDA

View Full Version : slowpener

sierraslam
04-27-2010, 07:20 AM
Pretty slow over all Opener this year. I do not think the stocks were even close to years past. Seven of us fished the back side of convict from 5:00 am till 3:00 pm, and ended up with 20 fish, nothing over 15 inches long. The weather was perfect, but 7 rods in the water for 10 hours, to average less than 3 fish per rod! I saw a few big fish taken, but nothing like years past when almost every group had big fish on the stringers. Our fish of the trip came Sunday at Rush Creek, where a first time Sierra fisherman caught a 19 inch Brownie. I was at the car having a beer when I see my buddy running across the snow towards me with a fish in one hand, and his rod in the other. His hands shaking, a death grip on this trout, and he say's, "can you get the hook out?" I said, "you caught that fish and don't even know how to remove a hook?" Lucky bast. err guy. Thankfully the fish had the hook way down in it's throat, so it was going in the pan even if i wanted it released. I don't like killing Browns, but if they are already bloody when you catch them, might as well eat him. We came home with zero trout because we ate everything we kept. Monday we fished rock creek and got a few little fish but that was it. Openers are always fun and this was no exception. Good bros, good weather, good drinks, good food, great scenery, who could ask for more? Hope fully the stockings will get better and the fishing will improve later in the Summer. good fishin!

Marley
04-27-2010, 08:22 AM
Yikes, that Convict action was really slow. One of the reasons we continue to fish Crowley is becasue Mom can't walk much any more (too many years of driving took out her knees and now they're both bone-on-bone so walking is painful). We can drive right to where we fish and she can sit in the truck or a lawn chair by the fire and not have to walk much. We often stop by Convict for the same reason and fish if we can get a spot on or near one of the driveways leading down to a beach but didn't this year because of the snow on the shoreline. Lundy is another option for similar reasons, just didn't go that way this year.
Anyway, we also stop at the Baker Creek ponds on the way home and fish with a lot of other seniors who have similar issues. They didn't plant the ponds this year and there were a lot of seniors who didn't catch a thing on opening weekend. All because of misguided (I'm being nice) fools and a lawsuit. How truly sad.
But it was to-die-for weather, the company was good for us, too, and we also had fresh trout for dinner Saturday night. I'm thankful for the time I get to spend out fishing with friends and family, and I feel sorry for those who don't know what it's all about.

Sierra_Smitty
04-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the report! And a 19" brownie - wow - there really is something to that beginners luck thing! hahaha!!!!

So far the only WFO bites that I've heard of are for ice fisherman. Hopefully with some decent weather access will improve.

Eat Sleep Fish
04-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Agreed. Seems a little slower this year. Biggest fish I've heard of so far came from the South Fork Bishop Creek in the form of an 8 pounder. Lake Sabrina had some sick action for the ice guys.

Troutman65
04-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks for posting up your report :Cool:

SierraPeaks
04-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Patience friends....patience. It's going to explode shortly.

troutdog
04-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Solid report, thanks for sharing!

TD